• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young Vandals Punished by... Education?!

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
One of the problems I have with the "justice" system in my country is that sentencing typically involves punitive measures instead of corrective ones. It is well-established that punishment - especially when there is a long delay between the action and the consequence as there is with our trial system - is comparatively less effective to other forms of behavioral correction. Thus, when I came across this story today I couldn't help but smile:

"After five teenagers defaced a historic black schoolhouse in Virginia with racist and anti-Semitic graffiti last year, a judge handed down an unusual sentence. She endorsed a prosecutor’s order that they read one book each month for the next 12 months and write a report about it.

But not just any books: They must address some of history’s most divisive and tragic periods. The teenagers can read “Night,” by Elie Wiesel, to learn about the Holocaust. They can crack open Maya Angelou’s landmark 1969 book, “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings,” for an unsparing account of the Jim Crow South. They can also dive into “The Kite Runner,” by Khaled Hosseini, a captivating tale about two boys from Afghanistan.

The teenagers’ sentence, known as a disposition in juvenile cases, also includes a mandatory visit to the Holocaust Museum in Washington and the Smithsonian’s Museum of American History’s exhibit on Japanese-American internment camps in the United States.

“We are seizing the opportunity to treat this as an educational experience for these young men so they may better appreciate the significance of their actions and the impact this type of behavior has on communities and has had throughout history,” the commonwealth’s attorney, Jim Plowman, said in the statement."
Full article available here from the New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/08/us/black-school-racist-sexist-graffiti.html

Things like this shouldn't be unusual, but they are. It'd be nice to see more things like this. But what do you think?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I think the judge should have made them walk around in black face so they would know what it feels like to be black.

Laika

Premium Member
One of the problems I have with the "justice" system in my country is that sentencing typically involves punitive measures instead of corrective ones. It is well-established that punishment - especially when there is a long delay between the action and the consequence as there is with our trial system - is comparatively less effective to other forms of behavioral correction. Thus, when I came across this story today I couldn't help but smile:

"After five teenagers defaced a historic black schoolhouse in Virginia with racist and anti-Semitic graffiti last year, a judge handed down an unusual sentence. She endorsed a prosecutor’s order that they read one book each month for the next 12 months and write a report about it.

But not just any books: They must address some of history’s most divisive and tragic periods. The teenagers can read “Night,” by Elie Wiesel, to learn about the Holocaust. They can crack open Maya Angelou’s landmark 1969 book, “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings,” for an unsparing account of the Jim Crow South. They can also dive into “The Kite Runner,” by Khaled Hosseini, a captivating tale about two boys from Afghanistan.

The teenagers’ sentence, known as a disposition in juvenile cases, also includes a mandatory visit to the Holocaust Museum in Washington and the Smithsonian’s Museum of American History’s exhibit on Japanese-American internment camps in the United States.

“We are seizing the opportunity to treat this as an educational experience for these young men so they may better appreciate the significance of their actions and the impact this type of behavior has on communities and has had throughout history,” the commonwealth’s attorney, Jim Plowman, said in the statement."
Full article available here from the New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/08/us/black-school-racist-sexist-graffiti.html

Things like this shouldn't be unusual, but they are. It'd be nice to see more things like this. But what do you think?

Best thing for them. I hope it works. :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Isn't there a law against unusual punishment?
If the judge does this more often, it will become usual.

For the protesters who riot, I recommend sentencing them to become Republicans for a year.
They'd have to attend Young Republicans meetings, write reports, & wear suits with ties.
That'll fix'm!

Koldo

Outstanding Member

If you are going to eventually release someone from jail, then it only makes sense to make use of corrective actions rather than strictly punitive ones. I am very much in favor of sentences particularly tailored according to the specific needs of each case.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
If you are going to eventually release someone from jail, then it only makes sense to make use of corrective actions rather than strictly punitive ones. I am very much in favor of sentences particularly tailored according to the specific needs of each case.

They usually give the corrective actions as an option to the punitive ones. The person can choose for themselves, which seems like the best and most fair way.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
If the judge does this more often, it will become usual.

For the protesters who riot, I recommend sentencing them to become Republicans for a year.
They'd have to attend Young Republicans meetings, write reports, & wear suits with ties.
That'll fix'm!
Thirty days at Trump University