1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Young Hillsong Church congregant who mocked vaccine dies of COVID

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by AlexanderG, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Father Heathen

Father Heathen Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +20,391
    What if it doesn't land you in the hospital but you spread it to someone who it does and they succumb to it? Perhaps one of your own friends or family?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Unveiled Artist

Unveiled Artist Shrugs. I tried.

Ratings:
    +12,991
    Religion:
    Animist
    I actually haven't came across sites that encourage not to vaccinate. Those that offer the other side are censored.

Why can't antivaxxers have the right education but made the wrong decision?

Do we need to justify how ignorant people are so we understand why they made decisions contrary to our best interests?

I posted a link awhile back where CDC actually posted a pro/con of vaccines. The site went to benefits (they forgot to change the title). Recently they changed the title.

I assume Google picks up on errors or so have you depending on how many people click a certain link. YouTube videos disappear in the same fashion.

3. Jose Fly

Jose Fly Fisker of men

Ratings:
    +6,152
    And very tribal. There's a scene in the movie Inherit the Wind where the Christian townsfolk are welcoming Mr. Brady by singing Give Me That Old Time Religion, but a young woman in the crowd isn't singing. An older woman leans over to her, pokes her with her finger, and gestures with a scowl in a way that says "You better join in".

Every time I see that scene it strikes me as very representative of the evangelical culture I grew up in. "You better join in!"

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Father Heathen

Ratings:
    +20,391
    Chosing the irrational and unsubstantiated path over the rational and substantiated path is ignorant and foolish. Let's not pretend that they're equally valid. Stupidity should be called out, especially when it poses a danger to others. It's important to be responsible adults.

#84 Father Heathen, Jul 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. F1fan

F1fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,873
    Religion:
    Buddhist
    Yeah, there's all sorts of luck catching Covid. I prefer better luck (through good sense) and not being one of the victims of the pandemic.

• Like Like x 1
  6. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +8,136
    Religion:
    Sanathana Dharma [The Eternal Religion]
    Young Hillsong Church congregant who mocked vaccine dies of COVID

upload_2021-7-24_20-25-3.png

Exactly this, that was missing in the OP. That is what humans tend to do ... mock others and some who mock they die, and some die not ... no big deal,

7. F1fan

F1fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,873
    Religion:
    Buddhist
    And it is a huge problem for the citizens of the USA that conservatives have been on the wrong side of this most of the time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Father Heathen

Ratings:
    +20,391
    Even the not-so-religious conservatives still embrace the attitudes, if no longer the beliefs.

#88 Father Heathen, Jul 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +8,136
    Religion:
    upload_2021-7-24_20-30-15.png

This is obvious a winner to me. Very respectful and well thought.

That none of the (A)theists (exc. 1) give this a frubal tells me all I need to know about them

10. Father Heathen

Ratings:
    +20,391
    So whenever the news reports a DUI related death you think they should mention that driving drunk doesn't always end in fatality?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Father Heathen

Ratings:
    +20,391
    That they value logic?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Father Heathen

Ratings:
    +20,391
    It's because of religious fundamentalism that U.S. conservatives (even non-religious ones, oddly enough) harbor a hatred for science, logic, liberty, etc.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +8,136
    Religion:
    You missed my point (I assume you don't misinterpret my words on purpose). I was talking about people "mocking"

I assume you agree that "mocking" is usually not the best way to communicate or to get the message through

14. Father Heathen

Ratings:
    +20,391
    With one round to six chambers, luck is also in your favor when you play Russian roulette, so by your logic why not give the cylinder a spin and the trigger a squeeze?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Left Coast

Left Coast Purveyor of Pumpkin Spice
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,772
    Religion:
    RFism
    Oh cmon UA. You know that's bull****. Do you have social media?

It's not that they can't. It's that they just tend not to - as exemplified by statements like, "antivaxxers' opinions are impossible to find."

That's a fascinating question - why do you think people make decisions against their best interests?

The CDC still lists possible risks of vaccination: Possible Side effects from Vaccines | CDC

I don't know what YT's rules are regarding COVID misinformation.

This line of reasoning reminds me of something a flat earther or young earth creationist would say.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Wandering Monk

Wandering Monk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,007
    Religion:
    agnostic
    Indeed. "Lack of evidence proves a conspiracy, therefore my assertion is true!"

• Like Like x 1
  17. Unveiled Artist

Unveiled Artist Shrugs. I tried.

Ratings:
    +12,991
    Religion:
    Animist
    Haha. I only have Facebook. My pages are running and cooking. They have a COVID information and update page now created by FB, so I "watch" that too. I honestly don't know how people can get upset over Facebook to tell you honestly unless they are choosing to watch pages and talk with people they know they will get angry at. RF is the only social media I go to on a routine basis but even then it's hard to weed out facts versus opinion. Even on Youtube (I don't read/comment just watch videos) I haven't seen or at least search videos that antivaxxers are encouraging people not to vaccinate. They're just complaining that they don't want to be pushed to do so.

But how do we actually know by virtue of their being unvaccinated and nothing more?

What's the inherent connection between a person being unvaccinated and how much they know about COVID, vaccines, and the like?

I think people get unvaccinated and antivaxxers mixed up to tell you honestly. Not all unvaccinated are against vaccination just as not all people who decide not to take, say, Advil are telling others and believe the medication doesn't work in and of itself. People's personal opinions about others are not always based on facts no matter how strong and emotionally driven those opinions are.

I don't get the point behind the question... I do better with direct point(s) with/without a question to avoid guessing.

What I was saying/asking, though, is just because someone made a decision we find immoral doesn't mean we have to try to justify them as ignorant or so have you; to me, it sounds like it helps the person make sense of the other person's actions not that that other person is actually ignorant in and of itself-they don't know. The unvaccinated "could be" the smartest people in the world they just made a decision that to others is not in the best interest of themselves and others.

It was this site Benefits of Getting a COVID-19 Vaccine

It was title pros and cons of COVID vaccine for months or so. When you click on it in google, it went to this site. About a week or go when I posted this (the actual title), I went back and they changed it to the above. I assume maybe google keeps track of how many times people click on links.

It wasn't misinformation. It was from the CDC itself.

Edit.
    I found it
    Mandatory Vaccinations?

"Pros and Cons of the Vaccines | COVID-19 Vaccine FAQ | cdc.gov" before they changed it recently.

People don't need to be misinformed to make a decision we feel is contrary to the health of ourselves and others.

#97 Unveiled Artist, Jul 24, 2021
  18. ecco

ecco Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,887
    Religion:
    atheist

@Valjean touched on it...
    Evangelicals and other fundamentalists are taught from an early age the difference between truth (God made Adam & Eve) and lies (Science & Evilution)
    That early indoctrination is difficult, and in many cases, impossible, to overcome.

19. ecco

ecco Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,887
    Religion:
    atheist
    I see you are still blaming the people who are disseminating factual information about the pandemic for your failure to recognize its dangers and the effectiveness of the vaccines.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,345
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    I'm not talking about the car being injured. I'm talking of my being injured in an accident.
    Cars, to the best of my knowledge, can't get covid. ;)