• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young and questioning

blabbling

I couldn't think in another title I'm sorry.

So I was born and raised in a Seventh-Day Adventist home. Every saturday me, my sister and parents went to church. I never was one of thoses who was activiely participating on church's activities and even avoided contact with the church's youth prefering sitting on the banch waiting for the actual worship service. I was batizep (even though this was more to please my dad than for my actual beliefs. And I regret it doing it in such young age I was like 13~15) and everything was "fine" before I started questioning What I was doing there? What was my faith? Why I felt so distant from God? Why when we have a problems we pray looking for Jesus than God? If christianity started with Judaism why Christianity and not Judaism? You know just sit there and accept everythign they told you? I was like that.

My dad used to fight in the Chrurch because of the Trinity. He doesn't believe in the trinity the way as it is.
i don't know something felt off to me. This unsettle feeling sticked with me for a while until this year where it becomes unberable and I started to spiritually suffer. So I started to do my research.

I started with Islam. Always find mysterious and scary due the lack the information that it's given to us by the media and how they always portrait it as a violence and brutality religion and its pratictioners. after read a couple articles I quite liked to a couple of points in islam and the way that it's you and God appealing me. I still hold a few question What heaven is like to them and all this Huris? A clearly response about sharia? Could I get a proper study about it on a Mosque?

I'm really curious about Judaism too. I didn't read much about Judaism, seems that there's a lot of movements and I don't really know where to start. I download the Tora and I intent to read it soon the same as for Quran. So i can't tell much. But seems like Judaism is mor lined with the same beliefs that I've been taught.

I'm open minded to look for my faith, to look for being closer to God. I just want to this feeling of loneliness go away.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Perhaps the line "love your enemies" is what you seek. It's explained to me to mean, God causes the sun to shine on both sinners and saints. So you should be able to get along with everybody regardless of their beliefs, then why feel loneliness?

Jedster

So I was born and raised in a Seventh-Day Adventist home. Every saturday me, my sister and parents went to church. I never was one of thoses who was activiely participating on church's activities and even avoided contact with the church's youth prefering sitting on the banch waiting for the actual worship service. I was batizep (even though this was more to please my dad than for my actual beliefs. And I regret it doing it in such young age I was like 13~15) and everything was "fine" before I started questioning What I was doing there? What was my faith? Why I felt so distant from God? Why when we have a problems we pray looking for Jesus than God? If christianity started with Judaism why Christianity and not Judaism? You know just sit there and accept everythign they told you? I was like that.

My dad used to fight in the Chrurch because of the Trinity. He doesn't believe in the trinity the way as it is.
i don't know something felt off to me. This unsettle feeling sticked with me for a while until this year where it becomes unberable and I started to spiritually suffer. So I started to do my research.

I started with Islam. Always find mysterious and scary due the lack the information that it's given to us by the media and how they always portrait it as a violence and brutality religion and its pratictioners. after read a couple articles I quite liked to a couple of points in islam and the way that it's you and God appealing me. I still hold a few question What heaven is like to them and all this Huris? A clearly response about sharia? Could I get a proper study about it on a Mosque?

I'm really curious about Judaism too. I didn't read much about Judaism, seems that there's a lot of movements and I don't really know where to start. I download the Tora and I intent to read it soon the same as for Quran. So i can't tell much. But seems like Judaism is mor lined with the same beliefs that I've been taught.

I'm open minded to look for my faith, to look for being closer to God. I just want to this feeling of loneliness go away.

Loneliness is usually the feeling when a person gets when not feeling a part of something.
Joining a religion may alleviate this feeling, but seems somewhat self-delusional in that you will pretend to adopt truth(s) that you haven't realised. I think it better to cultivate good friendships and communications with others. In true communication from one person to another, that is where Truth/God hangs out.
(I say this from my own experience. In my own search for truth I trashed many friendships in the belief that they stood in my way.)

My own suggestion to you is that you read up on the mystics of all religions and you may find some answers there. Mystics are not usually bound by the orthodoxy of most religions and are somewhat unpopular amongst the fundamentalist-orthodox, even to the extent of being murdered. Mystics have realised the commonality between all people, which contravenes the specialness which many orthodox like to believe.

Oh and welcome to RF :)

Jumi

Many religions don't believe in a trinity. There are many Christians that don't believe in trinity theology either, it's been the cause of heated debate since as far as 4th or 5th century if I recall correctly.

omega2xx

My wife was raised as as SDA, but as an adult she saw the errors in some of their theology.

Your first step is to sincerely pray to God and ask Him to help you.

If you are old enough to go to a church of your choosing, find a good Bible believing one that teaches God's word is our only way of finding the truth about Christianity. I suggest a PCA church(Presbyterian Church in America).

If that is not an option, obey your parents until you are old enough. During this time study the Bible and ask God to help you understand what it says.

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student

Keep reading the Qu'ran, Torah, and Bible.

The Qu'ran says things like Allah makes people atheists and then burns them with hellfire for being atheists.

The Torah and Old Testament recounts things like Elohim killing thousands of first born children because of what their ruler did.

The New Testament talks about being sent to a place of torture for simply not believing.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Cringe

Everyone has to find their own viewpoint or beleifs, truth is not subjective.

Truth is totally subjective. Facts are objective. Truth is only truth when it can be substantiated by fact. And congratulations, you've just found your own truth, at least for the moment.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
First, welcome to RF - the home to many many diverse and divergent opinions.

There are many different kinds and causes of loneliness. Some are related to a spiritual search and some apparently not. One can feel lonely in a crowd or lonely feeling separate from the divine or both at the same time.

To me searching and learning is good. And I think learning about various religions is helpful no matter what the end result of your search is.

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
Truth is totally subjective. Facts are objective. Truth is only truth when it can be substantiated by fact. And congratulations, you've just found your own truth, at least for the moment.

Believe it or not, but unfounded assertions do not make for a good argument.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Truth is objective. If a table exists our thoughts about it does not change that.

Facts, viewpoints, etc. Are all subjective observations of the truth with different levels of reliability.

But suppose that table, unbeknownst to you, folds out into a different configuration for a different function. Wouldn't this 'fact' change your initial 'truth' about the table? At one time the sun orbiting the earth was a truth; guess what?

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
But suppose that table, unbeknownst to you, folds out into a different configuration for a different function. Wouldn't this 'fact' change your initial 'truth' about the table? At one time the sun orbiting the earth was a truth; guess what?

No. The table would have in truth always had that property. But it would not have been a fact since it was not proven.

People had declared that the sun orbiting around the earth was a truth, that does not make it so.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
No. The table would have in truth always had that property. But it would not have been a fact since it was not proven.

People had declared that the sun orbiting around the earth was a truth, that does not make it so.

You're making my point. Thanks. Truth is always relative to facts.

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
You're making my point. Thanks. Truth is always relative to facts.

Thank you for demonstrating that you have confirmation bias.

I am saying that facts are near- certian observations of truth that are subject to change. The truth however is unchanging.

For example, it was a fact that the atom could not be split but it was not the truth.