• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You'd Think That Those Who Ran Public Schools Would Be Brighter Than This

Skwim

Veteran Member

Iowa Public School is Taking Kids to a Christian Play at a Christian College

"A group of first graders from the Cherokee Community School District in Iowa are taking a field trip later this week to see the play “Jonah and the Giant Fish” (about the biblical myth) at Northwestern College (a private Christian college) during the school day.

Somehow, none of those glaring red flags inspired the adults at Roosevelt Elementary School to say this was a bad idea.

Now the American Humanist Association is getting involved, letting district officials know that this is unconstitutional for a number of reasons:

… not only will RES students be taken to an avowedly Christian institution, but they will do so for the express purpose of seeing a Christian-themed play. The risk that these children will perceive a school endorsement of a religious message should be readily apparent.

We hope that you will replace this school field trip with something more appropriate, where children and parents of all religions, and no religion at all, will be properly respected. We also remind you that any actions that might be considered punitive or retaliatory toward those raising concerns about the matters described herein would be unlawful as well.

Attorney Monica Miller wants an answer by Wednesday, which is reasonable given that it gives them two days to rearrange their plans.
source

sooda

Veteran Member

"A group of first graders from the Cherokee Community School District in Iowa are taking a field trip later this week to see the play “Jonah and the Giant Fish” (about the biblical myth) at Northwestern College (a private Christian college) during the school day.

Somehow, none of those glaring red flags inspired the adults at Roosevelt Elementary School to say this was a bad idea.

Now the American Humanist Association is getting involved, letting district officials know that this is unconstitutional for a number of reasons:

… not only will RES students be taken to an avowedly Christian institution, but they will do so for the express purpose of seeing a Christian-themed play. The risk that these children will perceive a school endorsement of a religious message should be readily apparent.

We hope that you will replace this school field trip with something more appropriate, where children and parents of all religions, and no religion at all, will be properly respected. We also remind you that any actions that might be considered punitive or retaliatory toward those raising concerns about the matters described herein would be unlawful as well.
Attorney Monica Miller wants an answer by Wednesday, which is reasonable given that it gives them two days to rearrange their plans.
source

What fun.. I think its a great idea. The Book of Jonah is a comic novella.. Its harmless but could be a fun play.

leov

source
Right, they could have taken them to see 'Joker'.

Cooky

Veteran Member

source

Would it be okay if it was Jesus Christ Superstar?

Cooky

Veteran Member
Anyways, there's no religion more American than Christianity. We're just going to have to accept that fact.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Right, they could have taken them to see 'Joker'.
Yes, that most school-appropriate of films. I fully approve of this plan.

source
This is definitely a borderline case for me. I don't think it's a problem if the kids are taken to see a Christian play, as long as they will later receive equal exposure to other major religious traditions, and as long as the kids aren't pressured to accept Christianity. Many Biblical stories are culturally relevant and are often referenced as literature, even in secular works. I remember when I was in grade school, we saw movies about many different religions and religious traditions, and there was never a problem. Now if this play overtly promotes the Christian religion to public schoolchildren, then it's an issue, but just seeing a play about a story that comes from the Bible is fine. I would have no similar issues with stories from Hindu, Buddhist or pagan traditions if it were my child, but I can definitely see why this is an edge case for many.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
may be they just told them that it was a fairy tale?
But if you tell the kids that it's just a fairy tale, that's the school saying "Young Earth Creationism and a literal view of the Bible are false", which also runs afoul of the First Amendment. The only legally safe way to do it is to say "This play is a story from the Bible, and it's a story told by Jews, Christians and Muslims. Some people say it really happened, but we'll leave it up to you to decide for yourselves; you can believe whatever you want about this story and that's just fine with us."

Aliens

But if you tell the kids that it's just a fairy tale, that's the school saying "Young Earth Creationism and a literal view of the Bible are false", which also runs afoul of the First Amendment. The only legally safe way to do it is to say "This play is a story from the Bible, and it's a story told by Jews, Christians and Muslims. Some people say it really happened, but we'll leave it up to you to decide for yourselves; you can believe whatever you want about this story and that's just fine with us."
NO

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
As a member of a religious minority in a totally unofficial Christian dominated school system, both as a parent, and as a teacher, this sort of thing got on my nerves. The insinuation from the Christians was to suck it up, and get on with life. (often accompanied by a silly pompous grin) I'm really glad that some folks like the American Humanists get involved. An individual can't do much by themselves. The teacher could have easily chosen a different field trip or not gone at all.

Here, it's getting better, and as the demographic shifts so do the choices teachers make.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
Care to tell the truth
I'm not picking up what you're laying down. I already laid out clearly what my position is on this matter. If you think I'm being duplicitous, I'd appreciate knowing what you think I said was a lie so I can set the record straight.

Cooky

Veteran Member
@Shiranui117....? Is what @Aliens said true..?

giphy-6.gif

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

source
You know, at the end of the day, just about anything at all that we might see -- as children, teens, mature adults -- is going to be drawn from one or more of the many themes, religions, traditions, threads, ideologies and misconceptions that form our human backstory. I do not think it possible to shield anyone, even children, from all of this, all of the time.

And therefore, I think it better to tell ALL our stories, but tell them in such a way as makes clear that they ARE STORIES. That they are things that some people believe, and some people don't -- and then let kids decide for themselves. I happen to have a higher opinion of the ability of children, when given the freedom to hear, ask questions, get honest answers, to make pretty good choices.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Well it's that by default. Only problem is that it's a Christian fairy tale promoting god's overreaching power. (As I recall it.)

Yet still, many of the founding fathers of this nation believed in, and took seriously those fairy tales... So it's a part of our history now.

...Not something we can just blot out.