• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You, the Seeker

taykair

It may be that there are alternate universes.

If there are, it may be that there are a vast number of them; so many that there may be billions upon trillions of "you"s out there - each "you" living its own life in its own universe. It may be that all of these "you"s are connected somehow. (Wouldn't be "you" otherwise, would it?)

It may be that, in one of those other universes, the "you" in that reality has the ability to communicate with the "you" who is in yours (in other words, you) across this connection. It may be, because of the huge gulf which exists between your two universes (to say it is a great distance would be to wrong the word "distance"), such communication is, you might say, garbled.

It may be that these communications are the source of our visions and imaginings - from the still, small voice to the full-screen, technicolor display.

And it may be that the sum total of all of these "you"s, plus the connection between them all, add up to the real You: A being whose consciousness exists within a numberless number of universes, and across the infinite void between them.

What do you seek? What does You seek? Is You complete? Or does You continue to seek through you?

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It may be that there are alternate universes.

If there are, it may be that there are a vast number of them; so many that there may be billions upon trillions of "you"s out there - each "you" living its own life in its own universe. It may be that all of these "you"s are connected somehow. (Wouldn't be "you" otherwise, would it?)

It may be that, in one of those other universes, the "you" in that reality has the ability to communicate with the "you" who is in yours (in other words, you) across this connection. It may be, because of the huge gulf which exists between your two universes (to say it is a great distance would be to wrong the word "distance"), such communication is, you might say, garbled.

It may be that these communications are the source of our visions and imaginings - from the still, small voice to the full-screen, technicolor display.

And it may be that the sum total of all of these "you"s, plus the connection between them all, add up to the real You: A being whose consciousness exists within a numberless number of universes, and across the infinite void between them.

What do you seek? What does You seek? Is You complete? Or does You continue to seek through you?
In my warped multidimensional view of reality your thinking is closer to the truth than most would realize. My assertion is that there is much more to "you" than you might think.

taykair

There may indeed...but why do they have to be "out there"?

They may not be. I don't know where they are. I don't know if they are. I'm pretty sure I exist, but I'm not at all certain that all those other "I"s do. I'm even less sure that a Greater I exists.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
They may not be. I don't know where they are. I don't know if they are. I'm pretty sure I exist, but I'm not at all certain that all those other "I"s do. I'm even less sure that a Greater I exists.
You are better off than most, I'd say. :)
Life is a journey into identity.

siti

Yeah I know...but I'm saying that if there are other dimensions and alternate universes with other me's in them...how do I know that those dimensions and universes are not impossibly far away but impossibly close - curled up tightly inside this me - inside my cells or atoms or whatever like sub-microscopic millipedes...or how do I know that this me is not just one of billions of these curled up alternate realities within a set of nested russian doll millipedes...all occupying the same space but, for the most part, unaware of one another's existence...

taykair

Yeah I know...but I'm saying that if there are other dimensions and alternate universes with other me's in them...how do I know that those dimensions and universes are not impossibly far away but impossibly close - curled up tightly inside this me - inside my cells or atoms or whatever like sub-microscopic millipedes...or how do I know that this me is not just one of billions of these curled up alternate realities within a set of nested russian doll millipedes...all occupying the same space but, for the most part, unaware of one another's existence...

I debated whether to award "creative" or "informative" to your post, but I chose the latter because it allowed me to look at it in a new way. Still, whether very near or far away, I believe these realities would still have to have either a great gulf or a strong barrier between them. Otherwise, I would think, things could get rather messy, with realities getting all sloshed around together and whatnot.

Then again, if the greater You exists, then the You is able to either span the gulf or penetrate the impenetrable barriers between universes. Quite a trick.

siti

I debated whether to award "creative" or "informative" to your post, but I chose the latter because it allowed me to look at it in a new way. Still, whether very near or far away, I believe these realities would still have to have either a great gulf or a strong barrier between them. Otherwise, I would think, things could get rather messy, with realities getting all sloshed around together and whatnot.

Then again, if the greater You exists, then the You is able to either span the gulf or penetrate the impenetrable barriers between universes. Quite a trick.
Oh - thanks - I think! But reality is "rather messy, with realities getting all sloshed around..." and we really don't know where "I" comes from - we don't know that consciousness is restricted to our 4D objectively physical 'reality' - do we?

Qualifier: personally I tend towards a physicalist view - mostly because I haven't the foggiest idea how we could ever investigate any other worldview objectively. So for me consciousness and the "I" that is aware of its own existence emerges from physical complexity within the four-dimensional space-time reality that we are - at least vaguely and indirectly (perhaps) - aware of (to put it in a grossly oversimplified nutshell). But I freely admit that I do not know this to be true so when I see things about alternate universes and additional dimensions - although I am innately skeptical, I still think they're worth talking about.

taykair

A few more random thoughts related to alternate universes and alternate "yous" and You:

How many universes?

Let's ignore the more exotic ones for a moment. The one where our "evil twin" lives or the one where we have been unanimously elected President of Earth (or perhaps they are one and the same). Let's instead focus on two universes that are so similar that the difference hardly makes a difference.

Imagine a universe which is an exact duplicate of ours except for a tiny difference - the position of a single hydrogen atom.

Of course, it may be argued that, since everything else in both universes is exactly the same, then that unruly little hydrogen atom must be in its "proper place" as well, therefore there can be no universe with just one atom out of place. Perhaps a physicist can answer this. I can't.

I'm going to assume, until proven that it can't be so, that an alternate universe can exist with a single atom out of place. Given that, one can imagine how many possible similar alternate universes there can be. Add to that all the dissimilar ones, and the ones that are similar to the dissimilar ones, and we get one hell of a big number of universes.

- - -​

Given an unlimited number of alternate universes, is it possible that you not only have human "yous" - each living their alternate lives on alternate worlds - but that you also exist in other forms not necessarily human on other worlds? Perhaps the "goal of the game" is for You to exist in as many forms as possible and in as many universes as possible.

- - -​

Is it possible that those whom we deem to be gifted are connected in some way with more universes than we are? Is their genius due in part to their ability to see through the eyes of their other selves and somehow bring knowledge which is native to another universe into this one?

- - -​

Is it possible that, in one or more of these universes, there is someone who has the ability to communicate to - or even move between - at least a few of these universes?

- - -​

Have fun (or, make fun, as the case may be).