• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You;re Not Broke.....!

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Michigan's New Budget Funnels $800,000 To Anti-Abortion Programs That Lie To Women | ThinkProgress
Under the new budget the Michigan legislature approved this month, a right-wing organization that dissuades women from choosing abortion will receive $800,000 in state dollars, according to the Detroit News. The money is specifically intended to fund programs “to promote childbirth.”

If the budget is approved by Gov. Rick Snyder (R), an anti-abortion organization named Real Alternatives will be the sole recipient of the $800,000 contract. The group had a similar partnership with Michigan during the state’s last budget cycle.

So is Michigan really broke?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to promote childbirth inside and billions to kill people and steal their oil overseas.

The right certainly has its priorities straight, eh?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But 800K of taxpayer money to an anti-abortion agency on a no bid contract..?
Wouldn't that qualify as "crony capitalism" in your book?
Could be. I'm unfamiliar with this matter, & don't believe that ThinkProgress
editorializing is worth reading....it's right up (down?) there with Fox & Alternet.
But since I'm on the extreme end of pro-choice, I disapprove on several levels.

Last edited:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Could be. I'm unfamiliar with this matter, & don't believe that ThinkProgress
editorializing is worth reading....it's right up (down?) there with Fox & Alternet.
But since I'm on the extreme end of pro-choice, I disapprove on several levels.

It's all good. They actually cited the local paper on the matter that carried the story as well as some other sources. I would have used Breitbart but they don't seem to be carrying this news on their site. ....:D

dust1n

Zindīq
"The Michigan Legislature won’t fix the roads. It hasn’t shown much interest in the state’s shockingly high rate of unplanned pregnancy, and infant and maternal death, especially in Detroit.

Yet this month, it approved an $800,000 contract in the 2014-15 budget “to promote childbirth,” alternatives to abortion and abstinence education at crisis pregnancy centers.

The no-bid contract goes solely to Real Alternatives Inc., a Pennsylvania nonprofit that helps anti-abortion, mostly faith-based centers comply with separation of church and state regulations and receive government funding.

The firm seeks out Michigan pregnancy centers that oppose abortion and the use of birth control pills and that counsel women to choose adoption or birth in unplanned pregnancies. Theoretically, state dollars will pass through Real Alternatives to reimburse the Michigan centers for diapers, baby furniture and counseling services.

That didn’t happen last year, however. Real Alternatives failed to see a single client or sign up one Michigan provider during the first eight months of the $700,000 contract, according to the Michigan Department of Community Health. Although Real Alternatives says it recently signed three providers, MDCH is unaware of them. The state has so far paid Real Alternatives less than $40,000 for expenses out of the $700,000 contract ending Sept. 30.

“Because they’ve had difficulty getting providers on board, we do have concerns about the effectiveness of this program. We are looking at ways we can improve the reports we receive from them,” said Angela Minicuci, MDCH spokeswoman.

Kevin Bagatta, Real Alternatives’ executive director since 1994, did not return calls for comment. A staffer said he was on vacation and could not be reached."

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140623/POLITICS02/306230019/1348/Legislature-OKs-$800K-for-abortion-alternatives-in-new-budget

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's all good. They actually cited the local paper on the matter that carried the story as well as some other sources. I would have used Breitbart but they don't seem to be carrying this news on their site. ....:D
With Breitbart too, one must be careful not to trust that the article will match the headlines.