• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You MUST be baptized in JESUS name!

Christian water baptism is an ordinance instituted by Jesus Christ. If it is not important in the plan of God, why did Jesus command it in Matthew 28:19? And why did Peter follow up by saying, "Be baptized every one of you," and by commanding the Gentiles to be baptized (Acts 2:38; 10:48)?

Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the NAME of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:" - Matthew 28:19
Notice that the word NAME is singular . . . one name. The words Father, Son and Holy Ghost are titles, not names.

Also notice that Jesus said; "GO". He didn't say it "would be nice if you did", or "you might think about it". It was a direction, a commandment to GO do it.

EXPLANATION on HOW to OBEY (What is the NAME?):

Peter was given the keys of the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 16:19) Many people picture Peter at heavens gate because of this. But these were not physical keys! Peter shared these same keys with us. . .
In Acts 2:37 They asked the Apostles what they should do, and Peter said: "REPENT, and be BAPTIZED every one of you in the NAME of JESUS CHRIST for the remission of sins, and ye shall RECEIVE THE GIFT OF THE HOLY GHOST." - Acts 2:38

What is the NAME of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost? Peter knew, and the other Apostles standing there with him knew. This NAME is JESUS!

"Know ye not, that so many of us as were BAPTIZED into JESUS Christ were baptized into his death?" - Romans 6:3

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the NAME of the Lord JESUS.." - Colossians 3:17

You cannot just be baptized in titles of the name but you must be baptized in JESUS name to be saved!!!!!!

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Are you asking for a debate on this subject? Just so you understand that this is the debate forum and futhermore, proselytizing is no allowed on this forum. This forum is for sharing, discussing and understanding other religions and ideas, not converting others to your individual religion or beliefs.

tigrers99

PastorswifePurity seems to be trying to make Jesus the 'name' and the Father & Holy Ghost just Jesus' 'title'

This is what the 'Oneness Pentacostals' base their religion on.

Ceridwen018

Blasphemer!

Hey, I've got a question. With the second coming of Christ and all-- when he comes again, is he going to make his name be Jesus again? Because if he doesn't then you'll be saying 'you MUST be baptised in the name of FRANK!'

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that a name doesn't really matter. It's your intentions that matter...or at least it should be your intentions that matter.

True Christian baptisms (or mainstream Christian baptisms) pretty much involve all three "parts" of God (or the Holy Trinity). If what is being said here is that you can be baptised in ONLY Jesus' name, then I think that is a bit stupid. Plus Jesus is apart but yet one with God the Father, and God the Spirit (God the Son being Jesus)ie the Holy Trinity (again). (And to anyone wondering - this does not mean that there are 3 gods). When Jesus came to earth all those years ago, the stuff he said about baptism was only meant to rekindle the need and importance of baptism. Ceridwen018 is right in a way with what she said earlier:

It's your intentions that matter...or at least it should be your intentions that matter.

tigrers99

When the New Testament says to do or say something (in) the name of the Father, Son, Holy Spirit, or Jesus, it is meaning (by the authority of) any or all of these.

Ceridwein, Mr Spinkles,

tho i did find your comments amusing at first, i realized your somewhat mocking me in my beliefs in the importance of baptism, so be nice please

ceridwen,

i think the name does matter. because its what it represents. do you want to go around seeing people baptized in the name of hitler? the change in the name will change the importance and significance.

Master Vigil

If god even existed in the way christians believe, than maybe baptism would be necessary. However, a god with human characteristics logically cannot exist. Therefore, baptism is not necessary.

Master Vigil

God must be perfect yes? Then how can god be solely good. For then evil would not exist. There is this debate elsewhere in the forums as well. Such as if god was perfect god would have to be omnipotent, if god was omnipotent god would be able to create beings with perfect free will in which they chose good all the time. However being that this is not the case, god can not be omnipotent, and when god is not omnipotent, god is not perfect. Also, god can not have human characteristics for they are only for imperfect beings. God can not be loving without being hateful, or else god would not be perfect. God can not have gender for if god was a "he" and not a "she" then god would not be perfect. These are but a few reasons why god can not exist in a christian sense.

"God must be perfect yes? Then how can god be solely good. For then evil would not exist. There is this debate elsewhere in the forums as well. Such as if god was perfect god would have to be omnipotent, if god was omnipotent god would be able to create beings with perfect free will in which they chose good all the time."
- Master Vigil

God is omnipotent and he did give us free will. However, He gave Adam and Eve one command (do not eat of the tree of good and evil). They did. God created a perfect world, we screwed it up, not God.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
oh come on, if god didn't want Adam and Eve to eat from that tree than he wouldn't have made it, now would he? So again it goes back to gods fault.

God- "ok so everything here is yours, have fun"
A & E- "everything?"
God- "well everything EXCEPT that One tree... that one RIGHT THERE."
Eve- "what the one with the really yummy looking fruit?"
God- "yeah thats the one, any tree but THAT one. Yup, any other thing is Ok, but that."
Adam- "why can't we touch that one?"
God- "oh, you wouldn't like THAT ONE, it didn't come out quite right. Beside I said so and I'm god so there."
A&E- "oh, ok... I guess"
-a few moments later-
Michael- "so how long do you think it will take them to eat it?"
Raphiel- "I'll bet they go for it as soon as we turn our backs."
Gabriel- "Nah, I say a few years, they have lots to look at first."
God- "hey wanna make a bet on it?"
Uriel- "no way, you always win... remember that last bet? 'hey how long do you think it will take me to create a univerce?' I'm still paying that one off"

wa:do

Master Vigil

And even if we screwed it up, if god was omnipotent, god could fix it. I see many more limitations on god the more I read about it.

Ceridwen018

Master Vigil, painted wolf,

Your points about 'how can god be all-good when he has the power do do away with evil and doesn't?' and 'god wanted Adam and Eve to eat of the tree of life' are excellent! I agree!

Christians believe that everything is part of god's plan, and that nothing happens unless god has ordained it. The 'fall of man' can be no exception. God KNEW it was going to happen, and didn't try to prevent it. In truth, god PLANNED it himself. I can just see god creating Eden, throwing in a Pandora's box like the Tree of Life, a couple of innocent curious humans, and an evil snake for good measure, and then sitting back to watch the 'magic' unfold with an unassuming look on his face of 'What?'

Christians really even have their own doctrine working against tem here. In the Westminster Confessions, (and this is not a direct quote--I will get the direct quote), it is written that 'god was pleased in the sin of Adam and Eve, having ordered it according to his plan.' Hmmm...how very interesting.