• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You might be a Deist....

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Ah, yer not a true deist; beat it. :biglaugh:

Myself; I'm more of a true atheist these days. What appeals, to me, about "organized deism" (if such a thing exists) is how one of those sites (I'm thinking deism.com) is "proactive with the atheism." I need some activity. :D

No one will have me! :sad4: Think I'll start my own religion. It'll have aliens and volcanoes and a galactic confederacy! If you join within the next week I'll cut the enrollment fee in half.

I just checked out deism.com. I only did a college read of some pages, but I didn't see an atheism connection.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I just checked out deism.com. I only did a college read of some pages, but I didn't see an atheism connection.

I have found some Deists who vilify Atheism nearly as much as the Christians do.
Personally, I find Atheism to be a very reasonable position to hold.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
  1. You believe in God but are not accepting of the authoritarian creeds of any particular religion.

1. Check.

[*]You believe that God's word is the universe (nature), not human-written holy books.

Check, plus our own nature, and a few other things.

[*]You like to reason or speculate what God might be like rather than be taught about it.

Check.

[*]You think that religious ideas should reconcile with and not contradict science.

Check, to whatever extent science discovers truth.

[*]You believe God can be best found outside rather than inside a church building.

Both actually. Although there's often more to look past in a church.

[*]You enjoy the freedom of seeking spirituality on your own.

Check.

[*]You are morally guided by ethics and conscience rather than by scriptures.

Check, but also by self-interest.

[*]You are an individual thinker whose religious beliefs are not formed from tradition or authority.

Formed, no, but definitely influenced by, and sometimes confirmed by.

[*]You like to call yourself rational or spiritual before you call yourself religious.

Check.

[*]You believe that religion and government (church and state) should be separate.

Big Check.

So does this mean I can post in this DIR? :D

ellenjanuary

No one will have me! :sad4: Think I'll start my own religion. It'll have aliens and volcanoes and a galactic confederacy! If you join within the next week I'll cut the enrollment fee in half.

I guess I was getting a rise out of this kinda talk:

If you want to see to it that Deism becomes a belief that will free the world of the Christian push towards Armageddon in our nuclear age, that will protect children from dying due to the "revealed" religion based faith-healing superstitions of their parents, that will usher in a new age grounded securely in the belief that free-thought and God-given reason are much more valuable than blind unquestioning faith...

~from Why Deism needs you

That's what i mean by "proactive with the atheism." ;)

Hafta see if there's some local action...

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
  1. You like to reason or speculate what God might be like rather than be taught about it.
  2. You think that religious ideas should reconcile with and not contradict science.
  3. You enjoy the freedom of seeking spirituality on your own.
  4. You are morally guided by ethics and conscience rather than by scriptures.
  5. You believe that religion and government (church and state) should be separate.

Yes, sure.

1. You believe that God's word is the universe (nature), not human-written holy books.
  2. You believe God can be best found outside rather than inside a church building.
  3. You are an individual thinker whose religious beliefs are not formed from tradition or authority.
  4. You like to call yourself rational or spiritual before you call yourself religious.

Hmm, not quite. I'm a bit on the fence on these. I might probably take the first and the last one in good faith, not so much the middle two.

1. You believe in God but are not accepting of the authoritarian creeds of any particular religion.

No. I'm 100% atheist, certified. Or 99%, at least.

I'd be Diest if I thought there should be government at all.
and if you have a true understanding of Nature, as in the true nature of humans, not sin.
that doesn't mean I don't have faith in the Bible,
you just have to know how to read it.
The Israelites were continuous mess ups, the entire story is of how humans in sin will always make the wrong choice, even when blessed.
wonder why God doesn't prove his presence every day? Read the Bible and find out.

ps. PM me if you think you know why Moses Died. I blame the conflict with Lot.

Last edited:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I'd be Diest if I thought there should be government at all.

OK, I'll bite....

What does Deism have to do with whether or not their should be a Government?

As for the rest...

that doesn't mean I don't have faith in the Bible,
you just have to know how to read it.
The Israelites were continuous mess ups, the entire story is of how humans in sin will always make the wrong choice, even when blessed.
wonder why God doesn't prove his presence every day? Read the Bible and find out.

ps. PM me if you think you know why Moses Died. I blame the conflict with Lot.

The Bible, Israelites, Moses and Lot have even less to do with the subject at hand.

Acim

Revelation all the time
You believe in God but are not accepting of the authoritarian creeds of any particular religion.

In a laissez-faire way, yes. In a technical, nit-picky way, I lean toward sense of acceptance in a few ways.

You believe that God's word is the universe (nature), not human-written holy books.

I believe 'revelation all the time' which includes human-written books. To me, Word is within and all around, but primarily within.

You like to reason or speculate what God might be like rather than be taught about it.

Like both, lean toward the former.

You think that religious ideas should reconcile with and not contradict science.

I like to think they could and/or do. Not big on "should" things, and is where authoritarian thing falls apart for me.

You believe God can be best found outside rather than inside a church building.

Hmm, I think God is best found inside me, rather than outside me. So is this juxtaposition from this statement? Perhaps not, but again feel it is both and outer place in the world matters between not at all, or very very little.

You enjoy the freedom of seeking spirituality on your own.

First one that is clearly a yes for me.

You are morally guided by ethics and conscience rather than by scriptures.

By both, though easily lean toward (divine, natural) conscience.

You are an individual thinker whose religious beliefs are not formed from tradition or authority.

Depends on how one understands "authority." This would be another one, on the surface, I am mostly yes.

You like to call yourself rational or spiritual before you call yourself religious.

2nd one that is clearly a yes for me.

You believe that religion and government (church and state) should be separate.

I believe "should" should be outlawed. After that, I think separating spirituality from politics is somewhere between impossible and implausible.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
  2. You believe that God's word is the universe (nature), not human-written holy books.
  3. You like to reason or speculate what God might be like rather than be taught about it.
  4. You think that religious ideas should reconcile with and not contradict science.
  5. You believe God can be best found outside rather than inside a church building.
  6. You enjoy the freedom of seeking spirituality on your own.
  7. You are morally guided by ethics and conscience rather than by scriptures.
  8. You are an individual thinker whose religious beliefs are not formed from tradition or authority.
  9. You like to call yourself rational or spiritual before you call yourself religious.
  10. You believe that religion and government (church and state) should be separate.

Courtesy of Positive Deism
I fit all of these, whee.
:D

The only thing is my conception of God is transpersonal, as opposed to impersonal.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
  2. You believe that God's word is the universe (nature), not human-written holy books.
  3. You like to reason or speculate what God might be like rather than be taught about it.
  4. You think that religious ideas should reconcile with and not contradict science.
  5. You believe God can be best found outside rather than inside a church building.
  6. You enjoy the freedom of seeking spirituality on your own.
  7. You are morally guided by ethics and conscience rather than by scriptures.
  8. You are an individual thinker whose religious beliefs are not formed from tradition or authority.
  9. You like to call yourself rational or spiritual before you call yourself religious.
  10. You believe that religion and government (church and state) should be separate.
Courtesy of Positive Deism

Yep....... I'm on the edge of flipping from Theism to Deism. It makes more sense to me. It's just a question of bashing out the pan or the panen bit...... it could be both!

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
What are your ideas about pandeism tumbleweed?
Rather than an impersonal deistic creator, that creator is incorporated into the universe itself.

My feelings are that a Being outside of our universe would be unable to interact with our universe. So pandeism does not fit with my thoughts of the Creator and the universe.