• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You have any favorite books?

MatthewA

Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton

Anita Blake is small, dark, and dangerous. Her turf is the city of St. Louis. Her job: re-animating the dead and killing the undead who take things too far. But when the city’s most powerful vampire asks her to solve a series of vicious slayings, Anita must confront her greatest fear—her undeniable attraction to master vampire Jean-Claude, one of the creatures she is sworn to destroy...​

Was reading them all out loud, this one right here. Was the most enticing. Jean-Claude Van Dam!?

Haha :) Thank you for sharing your book with us all here brother.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I love the optimism, problem solving, quipy dialog and science in The Martian. Read it a second time just because it's fun.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Slaughterhouse 5 (Kurt Vonnegut)
Catch 22 (Joseph Heller)
Cat's Cradle (Kurt Vonnegut)
A Man In Full (Tom Wolfe)
Stranger In A Strange Land (R Heinlein)

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
A Tale of Two Cities (Charles Dickens)
Epic of Gilgamesh (Sumerian)
LOTR (J.R.R. Tolkien)
Hamlet, Merchant of Venice, Winter's Tale and 20-odd more (William Shakespeare)
Stranger in a Strange Land (Robert Heinlein)
The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas (Ursula K. LeGuin) (short story, not a book)
Death in Venice (Thomas Mann)
Giovanni's Room (James Baldwin)
Another Country (James Baldwin)
Cry the Beloved Country (Alan Patton)
Other Voices, Other Rooms (Truman Capote)

OMG -- shouldn't have got me started -- there's no way to end this! :eek:

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
@Rival, I remember my mother buying me the first 3? books for my birthday when had turned probably 12 or 13. They were very interesting and fun reads epic journey of many different interesting imaginative works in that world.

You seem to have some knowledge of some historical figures, as well. How interesting. Jack the ripper has been one the individuals who murdered and was never caught from what it has been told to me, do you know any different about that by chance?
My Mom bought Sports Illustrated magazine. I didn't realise why until later in life. After all, she wasn't interested in sports.

MatthewA

My Mom bought Sports Illustrated magazine. I didn't realise why until later in life. After all, she wasn't interested in sports.

How interesting, those things in my own life was learned around the age of 13-14, by my older friend Danny. I remember that day sitting on the air conditioner and him explaining me how everything worked via the images that were shown in the same type of fashion using what your mother bought you, a magazine, to me, as though that of a teacher in school.

MatthewA

To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
A Tale of Two Cities (Charles Dickens)
Epic of Gilgamesh (Sumerian)
LOTR (J.R.R. Tolkien)
Hamlet, Merchant of Venice, Winter's Tale and 20-odd more (William Shakespeare)
Stranger in a Strange Land (Robert Heinlein)
The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas (Ursula K. LeGuin) (short story, not a book)
Death in Venice (Thomas Mann)
Giovanni's Room (James Baldwin)
Another Country (James Baldwin)
Cry the Beloved Country (Alan Patton)
Other Voices, Other Rooms (Truman Capote)

OMG -- shouldn't have got me started -- there's no way to end this! :eek:

You have more than this!? I have not read any of those books at all that much I know for sure! Good to see you, and all here! Hope all are well and enjoy their night/day.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
You have more than this!? I have not read any of those books at all that much I know for sure! Good to see you, and all here! Hope all are well and enjoy their night/day.
I own 4,000 books, plus a whole bunch of others on my Kobo reader. I've been an avid reader for 70 years (I was reading independently when I was 3 years old, and have never stopped since).

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
9D4C1163-D17B-4117-847F-74C4E49F75AA.jpeg

RestlessSoul

3 with spiritual/religious themes;

Brighton Rock - Graham Greene
How The Dead Live - Will Self
The Master and Margarita - Mikael Bulgakov

If I had to choose one book;

War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy

Fallen Prophet

Hello,

Do you have any favorite books that you have read in your life that you can remember?

Would you please share them here?

Here are some the books I had read that are still in my mind:

Stephen King Langoliers: which is about 8 people ( I believe), who go through a time warp hole that opens up during an airplane flight (to several different locations). They land in a place that is slowed down, which is starting to become the past, as everything slowly fades away in a dull gray tone through out the book. Along with many backstories; and creative writings for the most part.

Stephen King The Outsider: An Alien (Demon) who ate children because of them having the purest blood. It is a criminal detective type of book and putting pieces together in figuring out about the case of a murder of a child in the park which is a gruesome scene.

Stephen King The Institute : Some burglars come in a to a family home, and killing parent, and abduct the child; who has a set of power. This is happening at large, and the children are being brought into the institute and it up to the children to figure out away to get out of there, and get out of the hands of the adults who took them away from their home.

Harlan Ellison: Big Sam was my friend ~ This is the story of a teleporting interplanetary circus performer looking for his lost love. Harlan Ellison has very awesome writings.

Dean R Koontz ~ The Servants of Twilight : Which is a story about an old lady who believes that the son of the devil has been born into the world; and the child just so happens to be with his mother in the grocery store parking lot when they are harassed by the lady. Later on the woman continues to go after the mother and child, and many things happen in this story that is wild and many different directions. One scene that am reminded of thinking about is; while moving to a safe house one night the two hired guards are patrolling the house, and their is a scene where one guard looked out of the blinds, and all of a sudden a shot gun blast cracks in and the things get a bit hectic.
The Wheel of Time book series. Literally the best storytelling ever.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello,

Do you have any favorite books that you have read in your life that you can remember?

Would you please share them here?

Here are some the books I had read that are still in my mind:

Stephen King Langoliers: which is about 8 people ( I believe), who go through a time warp hole that opens up during an airplane flight (to several different locations). They land in a place that is slowed down, which is starting to become the past, as everything slowly fades away in a dull gray tone through out the book. Along with many backstories; and creative writings for the most part.

Stephen King The Outsider: An Alien (Demon) who ate children because of them having the purest blood. It is a criminal detective type of book and putting pieces together in figuring out about the case of a murder of a child in the park which is a gruesome scene.

Stephen King The Institute : Some burglars come in a to a family home, and killing parent, and abduct the child; who has a set of power. This is happening at large, and the children are being brought into the institute and it up to the children to figure out away to get out of there, and get out of the hands of the adults who took them away from their home.

Harlan Ellison: Big Sam was my friend ~ This is the story of a teleporting interplanetary circus performer looking for his lost love. Harlan Ellison has very awesome writings.

Dean R Koontz ~ The Servants of Twilight : Which is a story about an old lady who believes that the son of the devil has been born into the world; and the child just so happens to be with his mother in the grocery store parking lot when they are harassed by the lady. Later on the woman continues to go after the mother and child, and many things happen in this story that is wild and many different directions. One scene that am reminded of thinking about is; while moving to a safe house one night the two hired guards are patrolling the house, and their is a scene where one guard looked out of the blinds, and all of a sudden a shot gun blast cracks in and the things get a bit hectic.
Fiction
War and Peace
Lord of the Ring
Catch 22
Classics
Mahabharata
Paradise lost
Beowulf
Poetry
Anthology of Romantic poets
Anthology of Rabindranath Tagore
NonFiction
Fabric of Cosmos
Selfish Gene
Light Reading
Harry Potter
Tintin
Jurassic Park
Wheel of Time
Foundation Series by Isaac Asimov

RestlessSoul

Slaughterhouse 5 (Kurt Vonnegut)
Catch 22 (Joseph Heller)
Cat's Cradle (Kurt Vonnegut)
A Man In Full (Tom Wolfe)
Stranger In A Strange Land (R Heinlein)

Slaughterhouse 5 is definitely in my top 10 (if not top 5). Remarkable little novel, and an early influence I suspect, on the recent movie makers trend for mixing up genres.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Hello,

The five books of the HHGTTG trilogy and others by Douglas Adams.
The Illuminati! Series by Shea/Wilson.
Gödel, Escher, Bach; Metamagicum and The Mind's I by Douglas Hofstadter (the last one co-authored by Daniel Dennett).
Do comic books count? If so, the Sandman series by Neil Gaiman.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Cormac McCarthy's border trilogy books have stayed with me for years. John Grady Cole is one of my favourite people ever and he aint even real.

A Voyage To Arcturus by David Lindsay absolutely electrified me when I read it.

Crime and Punishment made me realise that 'tension' in a story isn't just a metaphor about plotting. It gave me stress nightmares.