• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You have any favorite books?

MatthewA

Hello,

Do you have any favorite books that you have read in your life that you can remember?

Would you please share them here?

Here are some the books I had read that are still in my mind:

Stephen King Langoliers: which is about 8 people ( I believe), who go through a time warp hole that opens up during an airplane flight (to several different locations). They land in a place that is slowed down, which is starting to become the past, as everything slowly fades away in a dull gray tone through out the book. Along with many backstories; and creative writings for the most part.

Stephen King The Outsider: An Alien (Demon) who ate children because of them having the purest blood. It is a criminal detective type of book and putting pieces together in figuring out about the case of a murder of a child in the park which is a gruesome scene.

Stephen King The Institute : Some burglars come in a to a family home, and killing parent, and abduct the child; who has a set of power. This is happening at large, and the children are being brought into the institute and it up to the children to figure out away to get out of there, and get out of the hands of the adults who took them away from their home.

Harlan Ellison: Big Sam was my friend ~ This is the story of a teleporting interplanetary circus performer looking for his lost love. Harlan Ellison has very awesome writings.

Dean R Koontz ~ The Servants of Twilight : Which is a story about an old lady who believes that the son of the devil has been born into the world; and the child just so happens to be with his mother in the grocery store parking lot when they are harassed by the lady. Later on the woman continues to go after the mother and child, and many things happen in this story that is wild and many different directions. One scene that am reminded of thinking about is; while moving to a safe house one night the two hired guards are patrolling the house, and their is a scene where one guard looked out of the blinds, and all of a sudden a shot gun blast cracks in and the things get a bit hectic.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Fiction,

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë.

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.

Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens.

The Harry Potter series.

Non-fiction,

Young Stalin; Stalin 1878-1939; Stalin 1939-1953, by Simon Sebag-Montefiore.

The Complete History of Jack the Ripper by Philip Sugden.

Jack the Ripper, The Facts by Paul Begg.

A History of God by Karen Armstrong.

MatthewA

@Rival, I remember my mother buying me the first 3? books for my birthday when had turned probably 12 or 13. They were very interesting and fun reads epic journey of many different interesting imaginative works in that world.

You seem to have some knowledge of some historical figures, as well. How interesting. Jack the ripper has been one the individuals who murdered and was never caught from what it has been told to me, do you know any different about that by chance?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Fiction,

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë.

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.

Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens.

The Harry Potter series.

Non-fiction,

Young Stalin; Stalin 1878-1939; Stalin 1939-1953, by Simon Sebag-Montefiore.

The Complete History of Jack the Ripper by Philip Sugden.

Jack the Ripper, The Facts by Paul Begg.

A History of God by Karen Armstrong.
Do you mind if I ask you about Lolita?
I read the book a few years ago, mostly based on its umm “interesting” reputation. And I’m pretty sure it emotionally broke me. I still don’t know if I absolutely adored it (the references and word games were honestly kind of fun) or disgusted by it, or both. Maybe that’s a sign of a great work of art. I dunno

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
I read the book a few years ago, mostly based on its umm “interesting” reputation. And I’m pretty sure it emotionally broke me. I still don’t know if I absolutely adored it (the references and word games were honestly kind of fun) or disgusted by it, or both. Maybe that’s a sign of a great work of art. I dunno
I loved the prose. The way it was written was unlike any kind of prose I'd read before, the linguistic style just worked for me. It wasn't about the content as much as it's about the way it's gone about being told. There's so much symbolism, shadowing, metaphor and so-on that it really is one of those books you have to read twice.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I loved the prose. The way it was written was unlike any kind of prose I'd read before, the linguistic style just worked for me. It wasn't about the content as much as it's about the way it's gone about being told. There's so much symbolism, shadowing, metaphor and so-on that it really is one of those books you have to read twice.
Oh I definitely “got drunk” off the prose lol. It was truly mesmerising and I loved whenever I managed to get a reference lol
I’d be like “yay!! I got that reference!”
Then the narrator would remind me I was essentially listening to a pedophile and it was like whiplash. But maybe that’s just my sensitivity towards such a topic.
I think rereading it would help me process it properly. Especially because I feel like I have in a lot of ways grown since I last read it and maybe I’ll be able to pick up more references this time

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
My favourites in no particular order
The BFG by Roald Dahl. Mainly for the nostalgia. I credit Dahl as getting baby nerd me interested in reading (though I am part of the “Harry Potter generation” nonetheless.)
Oh and Harry Potter is indeed on my list lol
I think that inspired my love of mythology.
Narnia, again mostly based on nostalgia. Probably shouldn’t reread it lol
His Dark Materials, which interestingly enough was written to be the anti Narnia lol
Homer’s Odyssey. I quite enjoyed the Fagles and Fitzgerald translations. Though my first was Butler’s. I really want to read Emily Watson’s
The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen. Truly a unique fairytale, imo. If you get a good translation it can be truly haunting and atmospheric. I also like how a lot is left up to interpretation, which doesn’t happen a lot in fairytales.
The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde. I know that’s technically a play, but imo is Wilde’s masterpiece
And of course the holy Bible, Lord of the Rings. Need I say more? Lol
Currently reading Don Quixote and I have a feeling it’s going to be a fave

MatthewA

Listening to you both decided to go see if could find something about lolita on youtube for some type of Summary, or Analysis on the book. This video is about 5 minutes long and it was very informative for the most part.

There are spoilers:
Lolita - Thug Notes Summary and Analysis

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Listening to you both decided to go see if could find something about lolita on youtube for some type of Summary, or Analysis on the book. This video is about 5 minutes long and it was very informative for the most part.

There are spoilers:
Lolita - Thug Notes Summary and Analysis
I love Thug Notes!!

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
If you thought Lolita was too much, definitely stay away from this one: https://www.amazon.com/girls-Paean-Nic-Kelman/dp/0316155969

That book is extremely graphic and unsettling but it is actually very against what it is depicting. It elicits polarized reviews but I think it's worthy.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Carved in Bone by [URL='https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2747568.Jefferson_Bass']Jefferson Bass
[/URL]
[URL='https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/92146.Carved_in_Bone']On the campus of the University of Tennessee lies a patch of ground unlike any in the world. The "Body Farm" is a place where human corpses are left to the elements, and every manner of decay is fully explored -- for the sake of science and the cause of justice. The scientist who created the Body Farm has broken cold cases and revolutionized forensics, and now, in this heart-stopping novel, he spins an astonishing tale inspired by his own experiences.[/URL]
A woman's corpse lies hidden in a cave in the mountains of East Tennessee. Undiscovered for thirty years, her body has been transformed by the cave's chemistry into a near-perfect mummy -- one that discloses an explosive secret to renowned anthropologist Bill Brockton. Dr. Brockton has spent his career surrounded by death and decay at the Body Farm, but even he is baffled by this case unfolding in a unique environment where nothing is quite what it seems.

Wizard's First Rule by Goodkind, Terry

In the aftermath of the brutal murder of his father, a mysterious woman, Kahlan Amnell, appears in Richard Cypher's forest sanctuary seeking help ... and more. His world, his very beliefs, are shattered when ancient debts come due with thundering violence.

In their darkest hour, hunted relentlessly, tormented by treachery and loss, Kahlan calls upon Richard to reach beyond his sword-- to invoke within himself something more noble. Neither knows that the rules of battle have just changed ... or that their time has run out.

A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony

For Bink of North Village, however, Xanth was no fairy tale. He alone had no magic. And unless he got some—and got some fast!—he would be exiled. Forever. But the Good Magician Humfrey was convinced that Bink did indeed have magic. In fact, both Beauregard the genie and the magic wall chart insisted that Bink had magic. Magic as powerful as any possessed by the King or by Good Magician Humfrey—or even by the Evil Magician Trent.

Be that as it may, no one could fathom the nature of Bink’s very special magic. Bink was in despair. This was even worse than having no magic at all . . . and he would still be exiled!

Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings

Long ago, so the Storyteller claimed, the evil God Torak sought dominion and drove men and Gods to war. But Belgarath the Sorcerer led men to reclaim the Orb that protected men of the West. So long as it lay at Riva, the prophecy went, men would be safe.

But that was only a story, and Garion did not believe in magic dooms, even though the dark man without a shadow had haunted him for years. Brought up on a quiet farm by his Aunt Pol, how could he know that the Apostate planned to wake dread Torak, or that he would be led on a quest of unparalleled magic and danger by those he loved—but did not know?

For a while, his dreams of innocence were safe, untroubled by knowledge of his strange heritage. For a little while . . .

Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton

Anita Blake is small, dark, and dangerous. Her turf is the city of St. Louis. Her job: re-animating the dead and killing the undead who take things too far. But when the city’s most powerful vampire asks her to solve a series of vicious slayings, Anita must confront her greatest fear—her undeniable attraction to master vampire Jean-Claude, one of the creatures she is sworn to destroy...​