• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You Don't Need a Bible to be a Christian?

Do you need a Bible to be a Christian?

• Depends/Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know/need further study

• Other

• Total voters

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Nah, they were collectively experiencing a totemic meme as a emancipatory community of believers. Happens in many cultures after they survive a traumatic event.
So the story reports a spontaneous psychological reaction to a traumatic event which the group had experienced together, you say?

Odd that Acts doesn't mention a traumatic event. It says they received a belated (and not at all credible) report that Judas had burst open and died, so they'd have to elect a new board member.

If the story is based on true events, which it very probably isn't, I'm staying with the mushroom hypothesis.

Milton Platt

It wasn't widely available. In fact it was super-rare to even possess one.

I am not Jewish.

You don't know much about Judaism

You are correct, I don't know much about Judaism.

What Jewish writings outside of those stories in the Old Testament Predict the Messiah equated with Jesus?

By the way, interesting avatar. Did you draw that? What does it represent?

Milton Platt

You are correct, I don't know much about Judaism.

What Jewish writings outside of those stories in the Old Testament Predict the Messiah equated with Jesus?

Also, if there was no bible to tell Christians that the event your quote described was some god-related event, why would they associate it with a particular god? I mean, it happened to a bunch of Romans, it would have been associated with a different god altogether. Never mind that we cannot know that it did indeed happen at all.

By the way, interesting avatar. Did you draw that? What does it represent?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It was called the Death and Resurrection of Christ.
Ah, the net tells me that wild rue, Peganum harmala, grows in the Middle East and contains entheogenic alkaloids. Something like that might do it ─ though the part about speaking in tongues suggests a more animated response, wine being the obvious place to start.

Does it strike you as a pity that the Holy Spirit didn't take the opportunity to make them, if not smarter, then better informed?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I'm sure you know each of those don't follow the same line of reasoning [nor the word faith] as the one beside it, right?
Non-Abrahamic religions have reasonings. Abrahamic religions don't. The only reasoning is whether you accept their propounder or not. Some one said reason destroys faith, I don't know who said that.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
Non-Abrahamic religions have reasonings. Abrahamic religions don't. The only reasoning is whether you accept their propounder or not. Some one said reason destroys faith, I don't know who said that.
Martin Luther said it but Thomas Aquinas would disagree

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
;). Thomas Aquinas will quote the Bible.

napkin_religion.jpg

Last edited:

PruePhillip

They weren't. Not sure about your question.

You wrote "The tribes in the Americas, Asia, Australia, south Pacific,g etc. got ****ed over during Pentecost.

Can't make head nor tail of this. If you mean the modern day Liberal tribalism which rejects Western culture,
of which Christianity is a part, then I would challenge this. A lot gets thrown out with the bathwater when we
see Christianity as an evil.

The Reverend Bob

So what is modern Truth? It is the "truth" of Derrida and Foucault where there is no truth
at all - except their own truth?
Modern truth is what Zizeck says it is; truth is that which conforms to reality, all else is bull**** unless you can get away with it then truth is bull**** you can get away with

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Shrugs. The abrahamic isn't my faith and I never grown up around or in it; so, my opinions about it only involves four years of my adult life. They weren't that bad either.

Ideally, I agree with most other religions that practice is key and scripture is commentary. Other religions see differently. Unless it harms others or myself, I'm indifferent about it.

The Reverend Bob

Shrugs. The abrahamic isn't my faith and I never grown up around or in it; so, my opinions about it only involves four years of my adult life. They weren't that bad either.

Ideally, I agree with most other religions that practice is key and scripture is commentary. Other religions see differently. Unless it harms others or myself, I'm indifferent about it.
I agree with you that practice is important, but in theory, I am saying in theory because most Christians don't believe or practice this ... experience is the most important thing and one comes to experience by practice

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yes, Aquinas would quote the Bible but he would also quote Aristotle a lot
Did not Aristotle say that heavy things fall faster, earth is flat and sun revolves around it?
So what is modern Truth? It is the "truth" of Derrida and Foucault where there is no truth
at all - except their own truth?
The truth as we know today is:

"The most used scientific model of the Universe is known as the Big bang theory. The Universe expanded from in which all the matter and energy of the Universe was concentrated. Several independent experimental measurements support the expansion of space and, more generally, the Big Bang idea. Recent observations support the idea that this expansion is happening because of. Most of the matter in the Universe may be in a form which cannot be detected by present methods."
Universe - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, the horizon of knowledge always increases. Old things are what allowed us to know more. But old has to be replaced by new. Our children will know more than what we know today.

PruePhillip

Did not Aristotle say that heavy things fall faster, earth is flat and sun revolves around it?
The truth as we know today is:

"The most used scientific model of the Universe is known as the Big bang theory. The Universe expanded from in which all the matter and energy of the Universe was concentrated. Several independent experimental measurements support the expansion of space and, more generally, the Big Bang idea. Recent observations support the idea that this expansion is happening because of. Most of the matter in the Universe may be in a form which cannot be detected by present methods."
Universe - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The truth is we have no idea where the big bang came from, why it came
and who formulated the laws of physics. The truth is we think there is a
cause and reason for everything, but we have no clue why we are here.