• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You can't remember directions

Chisti

What is this condition called when you can't remember directions. At all. Like you go from A to B half a dozen times, yet at some point during the 7th time you get lost between A and B. It's like you can't process spatial info. properly and keep forgetting routes.

I am not sure if it's simply forgetfulness, because it's only routes you forget (and not what you read, the events in your life etc.). Any idea what this is?:shrug:

hisprettygirl1

I wish I knew, because I really have this condition. It is terrible and effects my life!! I messed up in college because I could not make it to class because I would forget how to get there. It is crazy!

Chisti

Thank God there's at least one person going through this! If I may ask, how do you manage this - and have you spoken to anyone?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm horrible with directions. Sometimes I forget routes I take. Or more commonly, I'll either ride as a passenger 10 times and yet still not know how to drive myself somewhere since I didn't pay attention, or I'll always drive on a route but when asked what the street names are, I won't know.

Perhaps a lack of spatial awareness or something do to with how you brain forms and recalls an mental map of its surroundings. I'm terrible at remembering directions, making sense of directions and remembering how I got somewhere but when it comes to other things my memory works just fine.

If it wasn't for my Tom Tom I'd always be getting lost.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Fortunately I'm not plagued by this. I can usually go to a place one time and then remember how to get there again.
But I find that females are less adept at remembering or understanding driving directions compared to males just from my own experience.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I am definitely spatially impaired. Unless I'm driving, I have no hope of remembering a route. And buildings are rough too; I get very turned around. I seriously believe it is a brain thing; some people have it, some people really, really don't. It drives my fiance nuts, because he's very good at it. He can figure out how to get from point A to B just by intuition, and if he's been there once, it's locked in his brain forever.

I am relieved to find out I'm not alone. I always thought I was abnormally deficient in this area. (Well, I probably still am, but at least we can all have a party!)

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
What is this condition called when you can't remember directions. At all. Like you go from A to B half a dozen times, yet at some point during the 7th time you get lost between A and B. It's like you can't process spatial info. properly and keep forgetting routes.

I am not sure if it's simply forgetfulness, because it's only routes you forget (and not what you read, the events in your life etc.). Any idea what this is?:shrug:
I know exactly that feeling. I'll call my friends and be like "I teleported again. Can you help me get back to someplace I recognize?" I'll be driving-- dodedodedo, just happy as a clam and confident in where I'm going-- and then Bam! I'll make a turn expecting to be in one place, and I'm not only not in that place, but in a place I have never seen before. It's not fun.

MissAlice

I have trouble with this but I'm on the autistic spectrum. It also depends. I can remember landmarks and anything visual but when it's words or a bunch of roads with signs, I have a harder time.

Rakhel

I don't have this problem unless you give me directions.
If I have been there once, I can get there again, even without knowing the names of the streets on the route. And forget asking me about landmarks.

Wirey

Fartist

You're asking the wrong guy. If I travel anywhere, I can find it again anytime. My wife and I went four years between trips to Honolulu, and the second time I didn't need a map to find my way around.