• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You Can't Belong to Multiple Religions... Right?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
When asked about our religious affiliation (or possible lack thereof), it is often expected that we tick a single box on the survey, so to speak. Yet syncretism and combining religious paths considered separate from each other has not only been historically commonplace, but seems to remain so today. As various groups have been following the shifting demographics of religions in America, one thing we don't often hear much about are the people who check multiple boxes.

multifaith-320x423.png

*** SOURCE***

What do you think about identifying with multiple religions? Do you find the idea of that objectionable in some way? Is it something you do yourself?

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
I'm curious: why does it separate white Christians from black ones? o_O
Before the Civil War, and really for quite a while after, Blacks tended to have their own congregations and such. It's a quirk that's continued on, and is surprisingly non-malicious compared to other divisions between blacks & whites. There's also a good deal of difference in how they worship, a whole lot more singing and what not.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
What do you think about identifying with multiple religions?
I think at the end of the day you have to understand who you truly are. I don't think anybody can be multiple things at the same time. Some of us put on different masks based upon who we're with, but at the end of the day we know who we are.
Do you find the idea of that objectionable in some way?
I don't know, people can wear multiple masks and still be one thing. I guess it's like what @Deidre says and just be yourself.
Is it something you do yourself?
I've been tempted to call myself a Pagan for a little bit because I look at the way I live my life and I don't feel like I'm a good enough Christian to call myself one.

allfoak

Alchemist
We can belong to every religion if we don't claim to belong to any of them.

Religion is not something i belong to, it is who i am and what i do.
Nobody owns this.

kabbalah-tree-of-life-from-the-flower-of-life_1.gif

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I think at the end of the day you have to understand who you truly are. I don't think anybody can be multiple things at the same time. Some of us put on different masks based upon who we're with, but at the end of the day we know who we are.

I'm not sure I quite follow you here. How are these "masks" you talk about different from being multiple things? Do you see being, for example, a student, a parent, and a retail worker as a person being multiple things, or is that what you are calling a "mask?" Why do you see it as a "mask" and what does that mean?

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
I'm not sure I quite follow you here. How are these "masks" you talk about different from being multiple things? Do you see being, for example, a student, a parent, and a retail worker as a person being multiple things, or is that what you are calling a "mask?" Why do you see it as a "mask" and what does that mean?
I don't mean that those things are masks. Career, family, and education all contribute to your essence in a way. Those are your attributes. What I mean is when you try to be something you're not you're most likely wearing a mask figuratively. The things that you are aren't independent of each other, they are one.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What do you think about identifying with multiple religions? Do you find the idea of that objectionable in some way? Is it something you do yourself?

I sure have no problem with it. If anything, I am sorry that so many religions feel a need to claim exclusivity or to appropriate from others by dubious means. Quite a few do both.

I do not think people can, do or should belong to a religion as such. They may and should attempt to learn from them and participate on them, certainly. And presenting oneself as a representative of a certain religious group does have certain legitimate uses. But at the end of the day religions are just people, practices and ideas. Their fluidity is as unavoidable as it is welcome.

Do I do it myself? I suppose I do, perhaps a bit less deeply than most people. I have learned quite a bit from Taoism and Hinduism without really presuming myself much of a follower, and I see no reason to avoid recurrance. More recently I gained an interest in Sikhism due to a very specific yet worthy practice - but again, one could hardly claim that I am an adherent. I try to learn even from religions I hold no sympathy for, because it is always a good thing to be capable of establishing clear, meaningful communication with those I disagree with.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Good question.
What do you think about identifying with multiple religions?

Identifying with multiple religions sounds like more like an individual realizing he or she has a plethera of moral and practices that one label can't define. I think that is with most people to one extent or another. I don't believe that we are "one-religion-only" as many say they are. It's just that many religions have an overlap in their goals; however, the said person has a preference and calling to a particular practice and belief of a specific religion over another Identifying as multiple religions could be someone realizing that they are not put in a box or on the other hand, it could mean that one is maturing until an appropriate belief system (if he so wants to find) comes along and is able to identify with not the label but the belief (rather than beliefs) itself.

I personally feel identifying with multiple belief systems is pretty much confusing. Some beliefs/morals can't be defined and trying to define it by selecting "all the above" pretty much defeats the purpose of what the word identity is. For example, I'm African American, Cherokee, Blackfoot, Cauracsion, Mexican, and Asian. It doesn't make sense for met to identify myself with all of these enthnicities. I am mixed, sure, but my culture, worldview, and lifestyle is African American.

In a religiou point of view, that is how I see it. I am pagan, neopagan, buddhist, folk practitioner, and, what's the other one.. anyway, I forgot. However, like the ethnicities, even though a lot of these are my worldview, there is usually one identifying mark that is "all of the above" summed up in one.

Can I identify with these multiple religions? Yes, I can; and, I find it direspectful. What religion I identify with is one that defines ALL of me. It's not "I believe in multiple spirits" so I'm a pagan, I believe in, I don't know, creating my own spells, so I'm neopagan. I use holistic means of doing magic I l;earn and create so I'm a modern folk practitioner, I believe everything comesm from the mind, so I'm a Buddhist. That doesn't make sense to me.

That's why people have "none of the above" or "I'm the exception to the rule" all the time.

We can identify with multiple religions; however, they are like saying this part of the pie identifies me as a whole pie. Then this other piece identifes me as the whole.

When the pie is only made up in pieces when we cut it into them. If we don't cut it, it's just a pie. Why not call it that?

Anyway, I disagree with using multiple religions as identifiers. However, because the way our society (in America) is built up of wanting people to name who they are in one or two phrases, it's hard to get around.

Do you find the idea of that objectionable in some way?

Pretty much what I said above. It's direspectful. It's influenced by culture. Why base who you are in pieces rather than the whole.

Is it something you do yourself?

I didn't before until I came on RF. Didn't know anything about what actual Pagans believed. Didn't know that folk traditions are religions that people call "traditional". Never identified myself as a religion based on everyday practices. That's why it sounds like I'm "looking down" on people; and, I'm not.

I'm basically a blank slate. When people ask me my religion, I can't really reply right away. It's not that I have multiple religions, it's just that one label doesn't describe the full me. So, really, why use it?

allfoak

Alchemist
You can believe you belong to anything you want, but for others to believe that you belong with them is another story.

I believed for a long time that i was a christian, until christians began telling me that i was not one of them.
I finally had to accept that i had moved on in understanding and did not fit in with the christain doctrine any longer.

buddhist

I believed for a long time that i was a christian, until christians began telling me that i was not one of them.
I finally had to accept that i had moved on in understanding and did not fit in with the christain doctrine any longer.
I was the same way! I was for some time involved in a form of Gnostic Christianity, other (orthodox) Christians did not believe I was a Christian. I also moved on, and I'm thankful for their help!

Akivah

When asked about our religious affiliation (or possible lack thereof), it is often expected that we tick a single box on the survey, so to speak. Yet syncretism and combining religious paths considered separate from each other has not only been historically commonplace, but seems to remain so today. As various groups have been following the shifting demographics of religions in America, one thing we don't often hear much about are the people who check multiple boxes.

It looks like the congregations are failing to adequately cross-check their congregants. Next thing you know , people will vote twice too!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Which reminds me that it is not at all unusual to meet people who are frankly uncertain about how much allegiance they offer to their nominal religions.

Some sort of efforts to "renew from the inside" - or, slightly less often, to regain traditional practice and values - is par for the course in most.

Deidre

I don't know, people can wear multiple masks and still be one thing. I guess it's like what @Deidre says and just be yourself.

I've been tempted to call myself a Pagan for a little bit because I look at the way I live my life and I don't feel like I'm a good enough Christian to call myself one.

Well, we're human first. All the labels are more cultural and societal, in nature. I 'call' myself a Christian because I strive to follow Christ's teachings. This doesn't mean I don't remember and carry with me good things from Islam, Buddhism, and even Deism, when I explored these. Think we get way too caught up in labels, as a culture. If no one posted their religion out in the open on here, for everyone to see, and just left it blank ...probably wouldn't see as many arguments on here. Because human nature. :D

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
It depends on how much dedication is required to belong to the religions. You could participate in multiple religions, but you cannot be completely dedicated to multiple religions. You will only be partially dedicated and so 'Belong' is too strong a word, but that is just a useless observation. What do little tick boxes know about dedication? They are outdated little boxes with vanishing relevance.

muhammad_isa

You can believe you belong to anything you want, but for others to believe that you belong with them is another story.

Good point .. people are tribal by nature and often view others as 'outsiders' if you don't share all of their views.

"Surely we belong to God, and surely we will return to Him!"