• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You Cannot Know Christ.

Kelly of the Phoenix

No person today can keep the Commandments of Christ. The best they can come up with is meekly to state to follow His Commands they "try their best." But, Jesus never even used the word "try." He never said it. That is because either a person does follow His Commandments, or they do not follow them. There is no compromise.
Meanwhile, Jesus broke plenty of rules, even his own.

So when you "love your neighbor as yourself" you learn something about Jesus.
It means I can go and shove a bunch of pigs off a cliff? That's what being a good neighbor meant to Jesus. :p

Can you avoid commiting a sin for an hour?
How nitpicky do we need to define "sin"? Are we talking something in the ballpark of murder or wearing two types of fabrics?

Doing so is simple for me, since I am ministering God's Word to you from The Bible.
Thanks, but I can talk to God myself.

Do you follow all of Christ's Commands?
I will when he does.

Rather, it is about the specification from God Himself that, according to 1 John 2:3, the only means of knowing Christ is through obeying His Commands.
I don't accept John. I find him to be self-serving and heretical. I don't like Paul much either, for the same reasons. Plus Peter. I'm more of a James fan, but, does the person matter? I thought arguments from authority were fallacious anyway.

None of your special, touchy/feely emotions about Jesus show that you know Him.
How can I trust John's *ahem* "touchy-feely" emotions about Jesus?

"A new commandment I give unto you, that you love one another, as I have loved you."
Most characters are just "photo ops", random extras for Jesus to assist for a few minutes and then leave. I think most of us can do better than that.

Jesus loved them so much we don't even know 99% of their names. I mean, really ...

And, do you do so for all your neighbors?
Did the poor who didn't make it to Jesus' sermons get any help? Did the sick? Or are you arguing Jesus healed and helped everyone on the planet while alive?

Jesus was a reincarnation of wise and pure man
That's weird. I'm starting a book where Jesus is the reincarnation of Hephaestus, who then incarnates as AI in the modern world. :)

If we did not rely on scripture, there would be very little knowledge of Christ or his teachings.
You'd think God could speak for Himself, like He used to. Didn't pay His internet bill?

How would we know anything about God, his son or his purpose for this earth if it wasn't for God's word?
He has a really great Facebook page. :)

Yes. Now inform us what Jesus would do in response to all of the homeless people standing on the streets and roads asking for money, which most of them will use for alcohol, cigarettes, and drugs.
Wow. Judgmental on the homeless now, aren't we? Did you get that from "God's Word"?

David T

Premium Member
1 John 2:3, "Hereby do we know that we know him [Christ], if we keep His commandments."

No person today can keep the Commandments of Christ. The best they can come up with is meekly to state to follow His Commands they "try their best." But, Jesus never even used the word "try." He never said it. That is because either a person does follow His Commandments, or they do not follow them. There is no compromise.

From 1 John 2:3 conveniently cited above just in case someone does not quite feel like looking it up, as if now in 2017 it takes too much time and effort to do so, we clearly can see the only means by which an individual can know Jesus. However, that principle now becomes a problem. No person can obey all of Jesus' Commandments. We know this because no person can even recite from memory all of His Commandments.

Yes, some people try to say there are only two Commandments really given by Jesus, The First and The Second. But, in fact, no person can love all of their neighbors as they love themself. Or even any one of their neighbors. As well, no person can love other Christians as Jesus loves them, according to His New Command in John 13:34. Nobody can literally replicate Jesus' Love.

Since none of the statements above can be refuted, we can for certain now be certain nobody knows Jesus. Only a very few superficial things from Scripture can be known about Him. If you are still trying to disagree, then answer this question:

"What Do You Know Of Jesus Beyond What Is Disclosed In Scripture About Him?"
I am Pretty sure they weren't navigating nature by book. Soooooo, if they werent navigating nature by any book I would recommend trying that. I know unsettling and certainly not modern.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No person today can keep the Commandments of Christ.
This is ridiculous. Why would Jesus teach you to keep his commandments then? To laugh at you when you fail because he has some small ego to inflate watching how pathetic everyone is and how much he is really needed? I think you are very confused about things.

The best they can come up with is meekly to state to follow His Commands they "try their best." But, Jesus never even used the word "try." He never said it.
That's right. He expected you were fully capable to just do it, which is why he said "do", not "try".

No person can obey all of Jesus' Commandments. We know this because no person can even recite from memory all of His Commandments.

Yes, some people try to say there are only two Commandments really given by Jesus, The First and The Second.
That is correct. You don't need to memorize scripture in order to fulfill all of it by following the two greatest commandments. "Love works no ill". If you have Love, you will fulfill all the scripture, says Jesus.

But, in fact, no person can love all of their neighbors as they love themself.
The fact is, yes you can. But while you're busy condemning others, it's because you haven't realized the first part of it which is to love yourself. If you don't know that Love towards yourself first, you will never, ever be able to give that to another. But we are in fact capable of it, which is why Jesus taught us to do that.

Or even any one of their neighbors. As well, no person can love other Christians as Jesus loves them, according to His New Command in John 13:34. Nobody can literally replicate Jesus' Love.
You don't "replicate" it. You live it. It's nothing you produce or manufacture. It's what you let go from yourself naturally to others, in whatever of an infinite array of expressions that may take.

Since none of the statements above can be refuted, we can for certain now be certain nobody knows Jesus.
I can and did easily refute your line of thinking here. You are seeing all of this from the perspective of the ego, not from the perspective the Divine. You can't manufacture or "replicate" it, but you can in fact Realize and release it from you. It is God's Love in you being expressed, not your ego's. You surrender the ego, and then it's "no longer I, but Christ in me...", says Paul.

Only a very few superficial things from Scripture can be known about Him. If you are still trying to disagree, then answer this question:

The fact that seems the only place you have any idea of what the Divine may be, shows to me it is you who doesn't know what he is talking about. You need to have some experience of the Divine. Then you have something relevant to it to talk about. What is found in scripture is just glimmers of the Light that can be seen with your naked eyes as you look at everything in existence.

Harrison

This is ridiculous. Why would Jesus teach you to keep his commandments then? To laugh at you when you fail because he has some small ego to inflate watching how pathetic everyone is and how much he is really needed? I think you are very confused about things.

That's right. He expected you were fully capable to just do it, which is why he said "do", not "try".

That is correct. You don't need to memorize scripture in order to fulfill all of it by following the two greatest commandments. "Love works no ill". If you have Love, you will fulfill all the scripture, says Jesus.

The fact is, yes you can. But while you're busy condemning others, it's because you haven't realized the first part of it which is to love yourself. If you don't know that Love towards yourself first, you will never, ever be able to give that to another. But we are in fact capable of it, which is why Jesus taught us to do that.

You don't "replicate" it. You live it. It's nothing you produce or manufacture. It's what you let go from yourself naturally to others, in whatever of an infinite array of expressions that may take.

I can and did easily refute your line of thinking here. You are seeing all of this from the perspective of the ego, not from the perspective the Divine. You can't manufacture or "replicate" it, but you can in fact Realize and release it from you. It is God's Love in you being expressed, not your ego's. You surrender the ego, and then it's "no longer I, but Christ in me...", says Paul.

The fact that seems the only place you have any idea of what the Divine may be, shows to me it is you who doesn't know what he is talking about. You need to have some experience of the Divine. Then you have something relevant to it to talk about. What is found in scripture is just glimmers of the Light that can be seen with your naked eyes as you look at everything in existence.
Do you obey "all of Scripture?"

Lol. Be brave, and answer with the facts, not with your hopes and feelings.

Harrison

Think before you try to speak. The Works of Christ are not superficial. Only your understanding of Christ and His Works is superficial.

For instance, you have no clue why it is that physical blood and its inherent supernatural aspects are the currency of spirituality, both for God and for the Occult.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Do you obey "all of Scripture?"

Lol. Be brave, and answer with the facts, not with your hopes and feelings.
When I act from the place of that Love that Jesus spoke of, the answer is yes, I do. It is the natural result of acting from that Love. You could no more think harm, than do harm. When I act from within my ego, I'll fall short of that, and it serves as the indicator of the necessity to surrender the ego to God.

What about you? Have you never fulfilled the Will of God, ever? Not once experienced that Divine Love and let it live in you? Never once just let go of your ego and Love another for the sake of Love alone? If not, that appears to be a big problem. If you had, you would understand what that is, and how it's not possible to act outside of that Love, once it is what lives in you when you've let it be. To not know that at all in yourself, it seems no wonder you might project that onto others that they can't possibly do so either, and then one would wonder why you consider yourself Christian at all? What's the point of that, of claiming to follow Jesus, if not to overcome this "sin" in our lives by surrendering our will to the divine Will?

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
1 John 2:3, "Hereby do we know that we know him [Christ], if we keep His commandments."

From 1 John 2:3 conveniently cited above just in case someone does not quite feel like looking it up, as if now in 2017 it takes too much time and effort to do so, we clearly can see the only means by which an individual can know Jesus. However, that principle now becomes a problem. No person can obey all of Jesus' Commandments. We know this because no person can even recite from memory all of His Commandments.

Yes, some people try to say there are only two Commandments really given by Jesus, The First and The Second. But, in fact, no person can love all of their neighbors as they love themself. Or even any one of their neighbors. As well, no person can love other Christians as Jesus loves them, according to His New Command in John 13:34. Nobody can literally replicate Jesus' Love.

Since none of the statements above can be refuted, we can for certain now be certain nobody knows Jesus. Only a very few superficial things from Scripture can be known about Him. If you are still trying to disagree, then answer this question:

there is only one law, not plural, that covers all sins. to love all covers all sins. you've obviously forgotten that jesus said that you can do all these things and more. idolatry to jesus isn't one of them.

it's that simple

Harrison

When I act from the place of that Love that Jesus spoke of, the answer is yes, I do. It is the natural result of acting from that Love. You could no more think harm, than do harm. When I act from within my ego, I'll fall short of that, and it serves as the indicator of the necessity to surrender the ego to God.

What about you? Have you never fulfilled the Will of God, ever? Not once experienced that Divine Love and let it live in you? Never once just let go of your ego and Love another for the sake of Love alone? If not, that appears to be a big problem. If you had, you would understand what that is, and how it's not possible to act outside of that Love, once it is what lives in you when you've let it be. To not know that at all in yourself, it seems no wonder you might project that onto others that they can't possibly do so either, and then one would wonder why you consider yourself Christian at all? What's the point of that, of claiming to follow Jesus, if not to overcome this "sin" in our lives by surrendering our will to the divine Will?

Have you ever acted from Christ's Love? What exactly did you do? Remember, Jesus commanded you in Matthew 5:16 to "Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works." Jesus never commanded you to hide your good works with faux "humility." In fact, Jesus and His Apostles displayed their good works in Scripture.

Tell me what you have done within the "true love of Christ." Share your Godly witness for His Glory.
there is only one law, not plural, that covers all sins. to love all covers all sins. you've obviously forgotten that jesus said that you can do all these things and more. idolatry to jesus isn't one of them.

it's that simple

Correct. Please find whatever you think you need apart from 1 John 2:3, which apparently you do not intuitively like.

Harrison

it's that simple
Tell us what things you have done more than the One Law. Go ahead. But if you cannot, then do not presume to instruct other people about something you yourself cannot do.

Does this make sense?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Tell us what things you have done more than the One Law. Go ahead. But if you cannot, then do not presume to instruct other people about something you yourself cannot do.

Does this make sense?

no it makes no sense because 1 john 2:3 speaks of commandments. i used the singular law. no one is above the law. you are either within the Law or subject to the Law.

the Law is not plural

colossian 3:11 indicates that christ is in all.

the dead are oblivious to the Law. the awakened aren't. thus the senseless live by commandments of another and not by the law of one.

Romans 8:11
Moreover if the Spirit of the one who raised Jesus from the dead lives in you, the one who raised Christ from the dead will also make your mortal bodies alive through his Spirit who lives in you.

know thyself = gnosis

Luke 11:52
Woe to you experts in religious law! You have taken away the key to knowledge! You did not go in yourselves, and you hindered those who were going in.”

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

Does this make sense?

the "Law" covers all commandments.

1 Peter 4:8
Above all keep your love for one another fervent, because love covers a multitude of sins.

with love all things are possible.

Proverbs 10:12
Hatred stirs up conflict, but love covers over all wrongs.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Have you ever acted from Christ's Love? What exactly did you do?
Yes, of course I have. What specifically is done is not the point, but HOW, from what place within ourselves it is done. It can be anything, from opening a car door for someone, to a simple smile of acknowledgment of their person, to rescuing a schoolbus full of drowning children who ended up in a raging river, or the simple expression of deep gratitude for the gift of Life itself. All of these acts can be done from the Center of Christ's love. Or they can just be your ego trying to do them because it's about yourself and getting people to like you, to feel better about yourself by your ideas of accomplishments for being a "good" person.

To act from Christ's Love, is a position of complete sufficiency in that Agape Love, without the need for ego gratifications. In other words, any and all act from the profound to the mundane, can either be from our egos, or from the place of surrender into Christ's Love. It's the Source, that is what is different. If you were to ask for one thing, then I'd say it would be living life itself from that place, which includes all actions, thoughts, and words.

Remember, Jesus commanded you in Matthew 5:16 to "Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works." Jesus never commanded you to hide your good works with faux "humility." In fact, Jesus and His Apostles displayed their good works in Scripture.
Yes, absolutely. When you allow that Spirit to live in you, there is no hidden agendas of the ego, nor false humility. False humility is an act of the ego, pretending to "replicate" Jesus by "looking like him". Rather, you strive to BE that, rather than act like that. When you become that, then everything flows forth from that place of surrender. It's no longer the ego seeking at this point. And yes, I have and do experience this. I am speaking from a place of experience, knowing the difference between the two. And this is not to say I always am there in everything, but strive to be more in that place through continual surrender. "I die daily", said Paul.

Why is this hard for you to accept and understand as someone who claims to follow Christ? You must be confused by the idea of you have to do something from within yourself, such as following the letters of the law in a strict and unfaltering performance. This is something Jesus tried to correct in people's thinking, you would do well to try to understand.

Tell me what you have done within the "true love of Christ." Share your Godly witness for His Glory.
Living my life with that Source alive within me. And whatever you mean by "Godly witness", I don't know, but it sounds pretty snarky. That's too bad. This is not something one tries to achieve through efforts to be good, so there are no ego rewards. It's simply what you and everyone else has available already in themselves by virtue of being born of God. It's really a matter of if you want to drink its waters or not. It's simply a matter of emptying your cup of your ego, so you can dip into that Water already available to you and drink.

Last edited:

A Vestigial Mote

Tell us how you have ever loved one of your neighbors as yourself.

Rent paid? Insurance paid? All food paid? Clothes? Vacation? Prescriptions? Transportation? Travel? Entertainment? Retirement? Laundry done? Yard fixed up? Well...?

I can't tell when your beliefs are, but find it extremely interesting that I, as an atheist, have made some of these same points myself. Truly loving your neighbor as yourself is simply too tall an order, and is completely counterproductive.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I can't tell when your beliefs are, but find it extremely interesting that I, as an atheist, have made some of these same points myself. Truly loving your neighbor as yourself is simply too tall an order, and is completely counterproductive.
Interesting. Why? What do you believe loving your neighbor as yourself means? Also, you do realize that the realization of the value of this is not solely a Christian teaching, that Plato said it, and it is also found in nearly all religions world-wide?

Harrison

no it makes no sense because 1 john 2:3 speaks of commandments. i used the singular law. no one is above the law. you are either within the Law or subject to the Law.

the Law is not plural

the dead are oblivious to the Law. the awakened aren't. thus the senseless live by commandments of another and not by the law of one.

Moreover if the Spirit of the one who raised Jesus from the dead lives in you, the one who raised Christ from the dead will also make your mortal bodies alive through his Spirit who lives in you.
Have you

the Law is not plural

Meanwhile, Jesus broke plenty of rules, even his own.

It means I can go and shove a bunch of pigs off a cliff? That's what being a good neighbor meant to Jesus. :p

How nitpicky do we need to define "sin"? Are we talking something in the ballpark of murder or wearing two types of fabrics?

Thanks, but I can talk to God myself.

I will when he does.

I don't accept John. I find him to be self-serving and heretical. I don't like Paul much either, for the same reasons. Plus Peter. I'm more of a James fan, but, does the person matter? I thought arguments from authority were fallacious anyway.

How can I trust John's *ahem* "touchy-feely" emotions about Jesus?

Most characters are just "photo ops", random extras for Jesus to assist for a few minutes and then leave. I think most of us can do better than that.

Jesus loved them so much we don't even know 99% of their names. I mean, really ...

Did the poor who didn't make it to Jesus' sermons get any help? Did the sick? Or are you arguing Jesus healed and helped everyone on the planet while alive?

That's weird. I'm starting a book where Jesus is the reincarnation of Hephaestus, who then incarnates as AI in the modern world. :)

You'd think God could speak for Himself, like He used to. Didn't pay His internet bill?

He has a really great Facebook page. :)

Wow. Judgmental on the homeless now, aren't we? Did you get that from "God's Word"?
Indeed. Lazy, unproductive, self centered, drug abusing, thieving and foolish people easily end up homeless. If homelessness is such a good idea, what is stopping you?

I am sure they will like you, and your chatty one liners. Lol.

Harrison

Actually it is evident

Yes, the body of believers (which includes me) duplicate and exceed the works he does. As far as comprehending Scriptures as He did, since He is the author thereof, the answer in in scripture:

1 John 3:2 Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.

1 Cor 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

However, I do know HIs heart and have His mind. What evidence do you have that I don't?
I
Actually it is evident

Yes, the body of believers (which includes me) duplicate and exceed the works he does. As far as comprehending Scriptures as He did, since He is the author thereof, the answer in in scripture:

1 John 3:2 Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.

1 Cor 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

However, I do know HIs heart and have His mind. What evidence do you have that I don't?
If you have Christ's Mind, then you will thoroughly understand all of Scripture, including Prophecy.

So tell me, where does the Temple Worship take place as narrated by Ezekiel? Step up with the Mind of Christ.