• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You Cannot Know Christ.

Harrison

No sarcasm. Attempted diversions? Does the bible teach you to belittle and insult people or ask for clarification or genuine correction if something was off on the first reply at that?

His commandments can be followed by people if they truly followed christ.

Many christians feel they are unable to follow all of god's commandments thereby, they feel it's impossible to know god. They would know christ if they believed they can follow his commandments.
Do you follow all of Christ's Commands?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I edited it.

Do you follow all of Christ's Commands?

When I practiced, I did follow all of his commandments. There are only ten. Most of them don't apply to me. I have no reason to lie, no reason to murder, and when I practiced, why would I put anyone over god? After baptism, I had no motivation to do anything but to grow apart from sin and closer to christ.

When I practiced, we were always in a state of crucifixion, repentance, and resurrection. It's a cycle. After awhile, sinning was less often because when you're in a state of repentance, you find no reason to sin.

If I followed Judaism, then yes, there are many sins that I wouldn't even thought they were sins. Christianity doesn't have that many laws anymore since they feel it doesn't apply to them even though they did for christ.

Scott C.

Just one guy
"What Do You Know Of Jesus Beyond What Is Disclosed In Scripture About Him?"

I believe we come to know Jesus as we try to keep his commandments and repent. Repentance draws us to Christ, where we come to know him. There is a difference between what we know "of" or "about" Christ and actually "knowing" him. "Knowing" him implies a relationship which has been experienced as oppossed to factual knowledge acquired through study.

Harrison

I believe we come to know Jesus as we try to keep his commandments and repent. Repentance draws us to Christ, where we come to know him. There is a difference between what we know "of" or "about" Christ and actually "knowing" him. "Knowing" him implies a relationship which has been experienced as oppossed to factual knowledge acquired through study.
Tell us what there is in "knowing" Him which is not directly shown in Scripture.

Use facts to back up your claims about knowing Him, rather than using your intuition and your feelings.

Scott C.

Just one guy
Tell us what there is in "knowing" Him which is not directly shown in Scripture.

Use facts to back up your claims about knowing Him, rather than using your intuition and your feelings.

I learn about Jesus from Scripture, that he is my Salvation, that he is the resurrection and the life, and that he wants me to repent and come unto him. I know these things from the Scriptures. But, I can't imagine how anyone can commit their entire heart, mind, life, and soul to Jesus based solely on what they learn "about" him from scripture. We must feel his impact in a deeply personal and spiritual way. We must experience his love. We experience his tenderness and mercy. We experience conversion. We come to love Christ. We come to know him.

Do you disagree with what I'm saying? Are you asking me to quote scripture that supports the idea that we get closer to Christ or develop a more personal relationship with God as we dedicate our lives to him?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
1 John 2:3, "Hereby do we know that we know him [Christ], if we keep His commandments."

No person today can keep the Commandments of Christ. The best they can come up with is meekly to state to follow His Commands they "try their best." But, Jesus never even used the word "try." He never said it. That is because either a person does follow His Commandments, or they do not follow them. There is no compromise.

From 1 John 2:3 conveniently cited above just in case someone does not quite feel like looking it up, as if now in 2017 it takes too much time and effort to do so, we clearly can see the only means by which an individual can know Jesus. However, that principle now becomes a problem. No person can obey all of Jesus' Commandments. We know this because no person can even recite from memory all of His Commandments.

Yes, some people try to say there are only two Commandments really given by Jesus, The First and The Second. But, in fact, no person can love all of their neighbors as they love themself. Or even any one of their neighbors. As well, no person can love other Christians as Jesus loves them, according to His New Command in John 13:34. Nobody can literally replicate Jesus' Love.

Since none of the statements above can be refuted, we can for certain now be certain nobody knows Jesus. Only a very few superficial things from Scripture can be known about Him. If you are still trying to disagree, then answer this question:

Spoke with J.C., apparently those rules are "more of a guideline than a mandate". :)
(intended for humor only, do not eat)

I do question, however, that you find limitations on love perfectly acceptable - Jesus doesn't say it, Buddha didn't, certainly none of the other "great religious men" drew such distinction. I see a pattern forming there, hmm. Maybe, just maybe, you are missing the real meaning.

Such "love" is not beyond human comprehension, just practicality. For those of us in the mundane world whom can give freely and generously of ourselves without a single want of our own in this way the rest of humanity isn't too kind. Unfortunately, survival is the highest law in this case and such altruism must be tempered less one becomes a sheep in a pack of wolves.

It's thinking like this that makes such concepts unable to be executed fully, not for lack of want in the purer souls among us.

Harrison

I learn about Jesus from Scripture, that he is my Salvation, that he is the resurrection and the life, and that he wants me to repent and come unto him. I know these things from the Scriptures. But, I can't imagine how anyone can commit their entire heart, mind, life, and soul to Jesus based solely on what they learn "about" him from scripture. We must feel his impact in a deeply personal and spiritual way. We must experience his love. We experience his tenderness and mercy. We experience conversion. We come to love Christ. We come to know him.

Do you disagree with what I'm saying? Are you asking me to quote scripture that supports the idea that we get closer to Christ or develop a more personal relationship with God as we dedicate our lives to him?
You have neither been trained nor authorized to speak "We" to represent other people. Doing so easily indicates your patronizing and presumptuous attitude.

As well, the issue here is not about dedication to Christ. Rather, it is about the specification from God Himself that, according to 1 John 2:3, the only means of knowing Christ is through obeying His Commands.

None of your special, touchy/feely emotions about Jesus show that you know Him. In fact, Jesus never asked anyone how they "feel" about Him. Jesus never commanded anyone to "feel" anything about Him. Finally, nobody here, and especially not Jesus Himself, expects you to "imagine" any Spiritual Principles or Truth.

Now, tell me what you know about Christ other than what is given in Scripture. Just do it.

socharlie

1 John 2:3, "Hereby do we know that we know him [Christ], if we keep His commandments."

No person today can keep the Commandments of Christ. The best they can come up with is meekly to state to follow His Commands they "try their best." But, Jesus never even used the word "try." He never said it. That is because either a person does follow His Commandments, or they do not follow them. There is no compromise.

From 1 John 2:3 conveniently cited above just in case someone does not quite feel like looking it up, as if now in 2017 it takes too much time and effort to do so, we clearly can see the only means by which an individual can know Jesus. However, that principle now becomes a problem. No person can obey all of Jesus' Commandments. We know this because no person can even recite from memory all of His Commandments.

Yes, some people try to say there are only two Commandments really given by Jesus, The First and The Second. But, in fact, no person can love all of their neighbors as they love themself. Or even any one of their neighbors. As well, no person can love other Christians as Jesus loves them, according to His New Command in John 13:34. Nobody can literally replicate Jesus' Love.

Since none of the statements above can be refuted, we can for certain now be certain nobody knows Jesus. Only a very few superficial things from Scripture can be known about Him. If you are still trying to disagree, then answer this question:

Jesus was a man, Christ is Cosmic Spirit...

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Yes, your answer speaks for itself. Rather than discuss the Words of Jesus given by John, the first word from you here is "I."

Lol. Do you disagree with John and Jesus?

Since the one commandment covers all commandments you can narrow down what it means to "love your neighbor as youself" by using other scripture and writings. The golden rule is to "do unto others as you would have others do unto you"

Harrison

Spoke with J.C., apparently those rules are "more of a guideline than a mandate". :)
(intended for humor only, do not eat)

I do question, however, that you find limitations on love perfectly acceptable - Jesus doesn't say it, Buddha didn't, certainly none of the other "great religious men" drew such distinction. I see a pattern forming there, hmm. Maybe, just maybe, you are missing the real meaning.

Such "love" is not beyond human comprehension, just practicality. For those of us in the mundane world whom can give freely and generously of ourselves without a single want of our own in this way the rest of humanity isn't too kind. Unfortunately, survival is the highest law in this case and such altruism must be tempered less one becomes a sheep in a pack of wolves.

It's thinking like this that makes such concepts unable to be executed fully, not for lack of want in the purer souls among us.
If what you just posted is true, then Christ's Commandment in John 13:34 is false:

"A new commandment I give unto you, that you love one another, as I have loved you."

Lol. Do you see how your vague little notions do not stand up?

Harrison

Since the one commandment covers all commandments you can narrow down what it means to "love your neighbor as youself" by using other scripture and writings. The golden rule is to "do unto others as you would have others do unto you"
And, do you do so for all your neighbors? I doubt you do. Not possible.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
If what you just posted is true, then Christ's Commandment in John 13:34 is false:

"A new commandment I give unto you, that you love one another, as I have loved you."

Lol. Do you see how your vague little notions do not stand up?

But, there is earthly love and perfected love... earthly love is a give and take, perfected is giving of oneself without expectation - not even the expectation of ones own salvation... a truly selfless act...

What in the Christian theology applies as a selfless act? For Christians act as they do for a perceived reward - namely the salvation of their own souls. By acting in such a manner they deny themselves exactly what they seek, no? The Bible is riddled with corruption by men - men whom had less than perfect spiritual understanding in the first place. Jesus even states many times in the NT that without achieving a selfless love state - without ones own interest - one cannot enter heaven. (not that I know what "heaven" means, but hey...)

socharlie

So, tell us if you know Jesus.
Jesus was a reincarnation of wise and pure man, he became enlightened by indwelling Christ Spirit and is Archetype of person enlightened by Christ. Jesus fulfilled the Law because he was in Agape state of being.

KarlStarke

Harrison

But, there is earthly love and perfected love... earthly love is a give and take, perfected is giving of oneself without expectation - not even the expectation of ones own salvation... a truly selfless act...

What in the Christian theology applies as a selfless act? For Christians act as they do for a perceived reward - namely the salvation of their own souls. By acting in such a manner they deny themselves exactly what they seek, no? The Bible is riddled with corruption by men - men whom had less than perfect spiritual understanding in the first place. Jesus even states many times in the NT that without achieving a selfless love state - without ones own interest - one cannot enter heaven. (not that I know what "heaven" means, but hey...)
Jesus said nothing about "selfless love." Neither that phrase nor that concept appears in Scripture.

Please upgrade your basic reading comprehension.

KarlStarke

You have the Right to practice whatever religion you want to.
You have the Right to believe whatever you want to.
You have the Right to live your OWN PERSONAL LIFE as per those beliefs.

And I have the Right to REJECT ALL OF IT.
The reason for that is found in these links to FACTS:

http://1000mistakes.com/
https://www.faithfreedom.org/Articles/SKM/contradictions.htm
Who is this
Welcome to Enlightenment! – Religion: the Tragedy of Mankind. Articles by Kenneth Humphreys
BIBLICAL NONSENSE - DR. JASON LONG
Ancient Confession Found: 'We Invented Jesus Christ'
Skeptic's Annotated Bible / Quran / Book of Morman>
http://thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.barenakedislam.com/
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...5Dwvl8sgzXpeKVqJtXByhUXLOVGScnyRBLBZmM2R61t8N

If you are going to "convert" me, you will have to REFUTE THE FACTS presented at the above links.
If you can't, then you will have to re-examine your position.........

My best regards,

Karl S,

Harrison

More and more. I remember the first time I gave away a dollar my body started to quiver and legs went weak, I'm getting better though.
Jesus said nothing about "getting better" at obeying The Second Command. Either a person does it, or does not.