• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You can not find God as a physical being

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
He lives in us, and is connected through out the journey, the blessed one in the fire/light.

firedragon

Veteran Member
My explanation is that god is a man made invention.
What is yours?

Thats some dig. Not relevant to what I asked from you. Maybe you are programmed by someone to get to this by hook or crook. Mind you, but who is really programming you?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Opinion among some. pantheists find the divine in the physical.
At least some of the Stoics thought 'god' was a quality inherent in all things that endowed them with motion, warmth, order and reason ─ quite a clever notion for its time and place, though superseded by modern understanding.
That's a wonderful and unique image which expresses what I believe.
Kind of you to say so.

sealchan

With this i mean the God many seeking is not there to be found, the God I become familiar with arise from within the practitioner of a spiritual teaching.

So by seeking outward you will not find God, the quality of God is within you.
God is a state of consciousness. Only by realizing the God consciousness will you see God.

Only when you find God you will know yourself, only by knowing yourself will you know God.

Any thoughts?

My formulation is...

God is a real, objective, psychological phenomenon. There is no God stuff that will demonstrably prove God's existence.

You can encounter God and you can recognize such an encounter by its typical characteristics and in that way establish the experience as valid.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Keep avoiding the questions.

Ask a strawman, then say "keep avoiding the questions". But this seems like a pattern of a many of the most militantly religious atheists in this forum.

Try the hardest to bring every single thread to their favourite subject. "GOD". Being irrelevant. Then say "you are avoiding the question". ;)

Nice.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Ask a strawman, then say "keep avoiding the questions". But this seems like a pattern of a many of the most militantly religious atheists in this forum.

Try the hardest to bring every single thread to their favourite subject. "GOD". Being irrelevant. Then say "you are avoiding the question". ;)

Nice.
Look in the mirror

Brian2

Veteran Member
I am not dissimilar from the character in the lucid dream that realizes he is dreaming and that he is actually lying in bed asleep, but continues to interact with and participate in the dream. I, in my true nature, am a much this human body/mind complex as the character in the lucid dream is that human asleep in bed.

OK I'll have to think on that one.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Neither did you answer the question..

Pot, meet kettle.
You are the one who refuses to address points being raised.
As for your irrelevant question, yes I accept the science of psychology.

The relevancy is obvious .. at least, it is to me.
Psychology includes the study of conscious and unconscious phenomena, including feelings and thoughts.

It's not relevant because I did not deny that consciousness exists.
The point being discussed is not whether or not it exists. The point being discusses is you claiming that it requires supernatural shenannigans for it to exist, while literally all evidence points to it being an emergent property/function of natural physical brains.

How does it help us to understand a person's feeling or behaviour in "terms" of electrical impulses?
It doesn't.
It might help in Psychiatry, but that is a different field.

Psychology is not the study of where consciousness comes from.
That's where you go wrong and why your question is irrelevant to the point at hand.

Now, any time you wish to actually address the actual points raised...
Not counting on it though.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

It's not relevant because I did not deny that consciousness exists.
The point being discussed is not whether or not it exists. The point being discusses is you claiming that it requires supernatural shenannigans for it to exist, while literally all evidence points to it being an emergent property/function of natural physical brains.

Yeah, but is it reducible to strict physical terms?

muhammad_isa

Psychology is not the study of where consciousness comes from.
That's where you go wrong and why your question is irrelevant to the point at hand..

Where I go wrong?

I said: An electrical impulse cannot "feel something".
You said: Nobody said that

It is YOU who want to make it all about "where it comes from"..

You said: Because feelings are bio-electrical energy , a part of the human piezoelectric experience .

..btw, what IS the point at hand?
..bearing in mind, that the OP is "You can not find God as a physical being" :)

I would say that psychology is very relevant to the OP.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Where I go wrong?

I said: An electrical impulse cannot "feel something".
You said: Nobody said that

It is YOU who want to make it all about "where it comes from"..

You said: Because feelings are bio-electrical energy , a part of the human piezoelectric experience .

..btw, what IS the point at hand?
..bearing in mind, that the OP is "You can not find God as a physical being" :)

I would say that psychology is very relevant to the OP.
Yes, it is very relevant to the OP

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Yes, it is very relevant to the OP

Okay, if we play physicalism then the joke is that there is not only one. But some physicalists don't know that.
In short there is physical as the base part, but that is not all versus everything is reducible to the physical.
But apparently some of our resident physicalists don't know that.