• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You Can Not Coddle Violent Criminals

epronovost

Why, and in what manner?

Well for one it's grammar is terrible. It's "You cannot coddle violent criminals." it's not "You can not coddle violent criminals.". That sort of little incapacity to follow basic rules doesn't bode well already. Second, being free while awaiting for trial, even for a violent crime, if you paid bail or were deemed at low risk enough (not all violent crimes are equal after since punching a guy in a drunken bar fight and strangling and raping children in their beds are both violent crimes, but one is a serious one while the other not so much) is a fundamental right in free country. Arbitrary detention are the hallmark of a tyranny as are unfair, rushed trials. Though where this police chief is right is that there is a lack of personnel in the Justice system and the COVID restriction have slowed down the process which then causes delays in the application of justice which is also extremely worrisome. The solution though isn't "**** due process and civil liberty; let's cage these animals".

Last edited:

ecco

Veteran Member
Well for one it's grammar is terrible. It's "You cannot cuddle violent criminals." it's not "You can not cuddle violent criminals."

When one comments on the grammar of others, one should take care to know the difference between "cuddling" and "coddling".

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I agree in theory that you can't coddle violent criminals, although sometimes I wonder if cops can tell the difference between a violent criminal and one who is not violent and not offering any resistance.

esmith

Veteran Member
I agree in theory that you can't coddle violent criminals, although sometimes I wonder if cops can tell the difference between a violent criminal and one who is not violent and not offering any resistance.
It's called making a life or death call in less that a second, around 0.7 seconds

esmith

Veteran Member
First what is your reason for asking?
It was a dissapointing action that should not have happened.
But, in my mind there were a few instigators that caused a lot of people to do something that they would not normally do. Something like mob mentality.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
First what is your reason for asking?
It was a dissapointing action that should not have happened.
But, in my mind there were a few instigators that caused a lot of people to do something that they would not normally do. Something like mob mentality.

As long as the January 6th criminals are not coddled by Trump and the right wing, I'll agree that every violent criminal, politically motivated or not, should be off the streets.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's called making a life or death call in less that a second, around 0.7 seconds

You mean when they have someone handcuffed and subdued, and they can't think of anything else to do except put their knee on their neck?

esmith

Veteran Member
As long as the January 6th criminals are not coddled by Trump and the right wing, I'll agree that every violent criminal, politically motivated or not, should be off the streets.
You do realize the Trump is no longer President don't you. Seems that if he isn't President he has no means to prosecute or not prosecute them.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What does the police chief mean by "coddling?" Would we achieve better results by punishment, vindictiveness and locking people up?

If you want to solve a problem it helps to address the causes of the problem. Why are these violent criminals violent criminals? Did we create them? Will we reform them with beatings, arrests and imprisonment? Don't most people come out of American prisons angry, resentful and with less respect for the law and worse social skills than they had before they went in?
If you treat people like animals, they're going to respond like animals.