• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You can do anything you put your mind to

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Before I went out for my walk today, I was watching an English Guy on T.V. he had lost both his legs below the knee (I don't know how).

He was putting on prosthetics (carbon fibre 'skis' on a highly sprung strut that fitted onto the stumps); he has won many races at the para-Olympics. he was saying that he wants to be accepted for the 'ordinary' Olympics; but there are two conditions on which he might not be accepted 1. People would say that his sprung skis give him an advantage, 2) if he took a tumble, imagine someone falling onto the skis!

I was talking about this guy to a homeless guy I often chat to, and, to my surprise (when I said "What an incredible determination he must have!") he replied, "Maybe we don't want things enough".

It set me thinking; is he right ? Are we capable of so much more than that with which we settle ? If we really were determined enough, could we do more with our lives? What do you think? (look at your own achievements)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I think so. The mind is the greatest source of influence in our daily actions.

Fred Astaire was told that he was ugly, that he couldn't keep any ryhthm, and that he should stay away from dancing as much as humanly possible. What if he took that advice to heart?

Thomas Edison's mother was told her son was dumb, uninspired, and wouldn't amount to anything. What if she continued that message? What if he grew up believing it?

Albert Einstein didn't talk until he was 4 - I think. He was told much the same as Mr. Edison. Where would we be if he thought he didn't amount to much?

We all have that spark of genius in us. We can all achieve great things for humanity if we believe that spark exists and study it, contemplate it, and bring it to fruition. :)

Peace,
Mystic

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
You can do anything you put your mind to

Absolutely!!!!! We are only limited by our own thoughts. We are all born with the same determination, and original vision that Edison, and Einstein, and Beethoven had. We all view the world from a unique point of view, we each have an 'original vision', and if you doubt that you ever had determination, just watch what any two year old will go through to get to the cooking jar. And children are constantly examining the world around them.

but by the time we start school, we are already conditioned to believe we are an empty vessel that needs to be filled with 'world knowledge'. And we come into a state of amnesia, forgetting what wonderful talents, and skills we possess.

I like to help people get out of that amnesia. I have become a life coach, as one of my professions, this is my website. I help people reach those higher levels of self, and remind people that they can do anything they set their mind to. I know of a 90 year old, who recently had a birthday. Her family is so large there was no way they could all come visit her for her birthday, and she could never make it to all of them, but she so wanted to be with her family, and did not want to miss out on seeing any of them. So, they all connected online. They were all together, some, even with cameras. That 90 year old woman, found a way to connect some 75 or so people all over the US, and abroad at little or no cost. Sometimes the answers are right in front of our faces, and we can't see them.

I could go on and on about this, because it's what I do. I believe we create our own realities, and once we become aware of the power behind our thoughts and actions, then we will know how to change in order to get what is desired instead of getting what we don't want.

evearael

I believe we create our own realities

If I didn't believe this, I would have curled up and died along time ago. After four years of rape and sexual assault, I was completely devastated emotionally and socially. It has taken a long time to rebuild myself, to relearn joy, love and trust, and now I'm better than I've ever been. I stopped trying to prove anything to anyone else and embraced the important things in life, my spirituality and my family. I wish to lead a life dedicated to service, and to begin that I am putting my own home in order, making it a safe refuge for my family, a place of learning and love to nurture all the souls that reside here and those of any of our guests. I'm exploring the charitable options presently that would permit me to bring my daughter along. My journey is more personal, but still good in my eyes. The family is the basic building block of society, and to transform the society into something better, we must at first transform the family.

SoliDeoGloria

It set me thinking; is he right ? Are we capable of so much more than that with which we settle ? If we really were determined enough, could we do more with our lives? What do you think? (look at your own achievements)

Well, as a Christian, I don't believe that we make our own realities with cognition, that would be defined as some sort of insanity. I do however firmly believe that we are capable of MUCH more than we settle for and cognition can play a very important role in this.

Looking at my own life, I can come up with two examples right off hand. The first one is when I was arrested and facing prison time. I knew it was unavoidable, the questions I had was would I even survive an incarceration for an extended amount of time and what would happen when I got out (among other obvious question). As it turns out I managed to survive four years incarcerated and have done quite well by comparison since I have been out. Now, This more or less happened to me rather than me walking into prison with an "I am going to do this" attitude. When I look back on it, I am still pretty taken back at how things have turned out and now am a little more confident in my abilities.

The second example I can come up with right off hand would be working out. When I first entered the prison I was going to stay at, I could barely bench press 145 lbs and weighed about 140lbs. I remember watching this guy in the weight yard bench press 225 lbs. without anyone spotting him for ten reps and was amazed. I told him how impressed I was and that I would probably never be able to do something like that. He disagreed with me and told me that if I stuck with it I should have no problem eventually being able to lift that much weight. During my stay there, I "stuck with it" and before I was released, I personally weighed 165 lbs and my maximum bench press weight got to 315 lbs. The one major thing I came to realize is that cognition plays an extremely important role in heavy weight lifting. If you think you will not be able to lift a certain weght on a particular day, it is pretty much a certain deal that you won't.

In conclusion, we as human beings are definitely capable of more than what we settle for. Just go to work and you can see examples of that in the differing attitudes and the production associated with those attitudes. On the same note, sometimes things happen that we are not so much in control of and in order to survive, we must "go with the flow" and become better people because of them with more cognitive cinfidence in ourselves at the end. I wonder if the example given in the OP started with the confidence they have ended up with? I am pretty certain that their dream in life since their younger years was not to lose both their legs and make the achievemnets they had made.

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria

SK2005

Saint in training
That's a large YES! I thought it was true throughout my life and now I'm in college where the possibilities are endless! I think that's why I'm having a hard time choosing my classes and whatnot because I know that I can do it. For example--teaching; I know that I can do that, so I want to strive for more. I want to go for my Ph.D. so I think I will, because if I really want to do it, then I can! :D

A

angellous_evangellous

Prove it. Stand in front of a train and turn it into a marshmellow just before it smashes into your body.

Or, pm me your credit card numbers and make the balance of my internet shopping spree go away.

If you can do that, then I will try to realize my own divinity too by ruling the cosmos! :super:

Bishka

Veteran Member
I do believe we can do anything we put our mind to, we can even convince ourselves of something that is not true.

For example, one time, for pure curiousity, I tried to convince myself that there was a 80-foot anaconda in the bathroom, which I did, surprisingly. It took me about a week to unconvince myself that it wasn't there.

I believe we can do ANYTHING we put our mind to.

SK2005

Saint in training
angellous_evangellous said:

Prove it. Stand in front of a train and turn it into a marshmellow just before it smashes into your body.

Or, pm me your credit card numbers and make the balance of my internet shopping spree go away.

Good Call! :D ;)

A

angellous_evangellous

beckysoup61 said:
I do believe we can do anything we put our mind to, we can even convince ourselves of something that is not true.

For example, one time, for pure curiousity, I tried to convince myself that there was a 80-foot anaconda in the bathroom, which I did, surprisingly. It took me about a week to unconvince myself that it wasn't there.

:disco:

Ori

Angel slayer
Based on my own achievements I would have to say no, or at least not yet. I do think if you believe and want something enough, you'll get it.

A

angellous_evangellous

SK2005 said:
Good Call! :D ;)

No one has taken me up on that offer. Personally, if someone claims to be divine, I say that we crucify them for the misery that they allow the world to suffer. How evil they have allowed the world to become!:fork:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
beckysoup61 said:

Silly...................:biglaugh:

Buttercup said:
I agree with you there MIchel...Psychology was my minor in college. Have always been intrigued with trying to figure people out! :jiggy:

For goodnes' sake (and your sanity) never try to work me out; I have burned out a few brains already .............:eek:

I was told by my mother that I 'could do anything'. According to a psychologist I saw once, he told me that that was the worst message that a parent could give a child (simplybecause,as aE and others have pointed out, we cannot do anything)

The theory being that the child comes accross something he/she can't do, and loses trust in his/her parents' 'promises'. Psychobabble, but I think it is a fair point.

finalfrogo

michel said:
Before I went out for my walk today, I was watching an English Guy on T.V. he had lost both his legs below the knee (I don't know how).

He was putting on prosthetics (carbon fibre 'skis' on a highly sprung strut that fitted onto the stumps); he has won many races at the para-Olympics. he was saying that he wants to be accepted for the 'ordinary' Olympics; but there are two conditions on which he might not be accepted 1. People would say that his sprung skis give him an advantage, 2) if he took a tumble, imagine someone falling onto the skis!

I was talking about this guy to a homeless guy I often chat to, and, to my surprise (when I said "What an incredible determination he must have!") he replied, "Maybe we don't want things enough".

I have aspired for much in my life, and few of these aspirations have been fulfilled. I'd still like to believe that all reasonable things are possible.

"Undoubtedly, we become what we envisage."
-Claude M. Bristol

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
michel said:
Are we capable of so much more than that with which we settle?
Absolutely. Far too many people settle for less than they want, and less than they deserve...usually out of fear of change, fear of failure, or fear of success (which brings us right back to that fear of change).

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
With enough patience, determination and self-discipline a great deal can be achieved. Unfortuately it's not always such a positive thing to be driven because it can distort judgement. I became so furiously devoted to martial arts, Magick and meditation when I was 15-16 that by the time I was 20 I'd convinced myself, and many others around me, that I was all but superhuman. It became such a burdon on my poor body & mind because not only was I pushing myself far too hard but treated any signs of personal weakness with contempt. Eventually I fell seriously ill and the patience, determination and self-discipline I had to draw upon to get through that made the efforts of the years prior to it seem as nothing. It wasn't just more of the same though, I had to deal with 'reality' too :D