• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You Can be in a parking lot... just not at the church parking lot!

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's not that different from around here the parking lot at the local pub being closed prior to St Patrick's day. Or our beaches being closed in response to people flooding them despite warnings.

Ponder This

Mississippi city's coronavirus shutdown bans drive-in church services ahead of Easter

So what is this really about? You are observing social distancing, but you can't be at a church... but its ok to be in an ABC liquor store...

This is crazy.

Meanwhile a Federal Court Judge issued a temporary restraining order on the government of Louisville when Mayor Greg Fischer issued an order banning Church services.
https://nypost.com/2020/04/11/judge-blocks-louisville-from-banning-drive-in-easter-services/

In response, Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear announced that police will track the license plates of those who attend services and turn them over to local health departments for quarantine.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Mississippi city's coronavirus shutdown bans drive-in church services ahead of Easter

So what is this really about? You are observing social distancing, but you can't be at a church... but its ok to be in an ABC liquor store...

This is crazy.
What is it really about? That is the real question. You won't find that answer on Fox "news".

The fact that these Christians are whining about not getting to go to church when they should be caring more about helping the governments protect lives by slowing the spread of a pandemic, tells me all I need to know about their religion.

QuestioningMind

This is crazy.

Why is this so hard for some people to understand? The idea is that everyone should be STAYING AT HOME. This means STAY AT HOME, not gather together in our cars to listen to a sermon, or listen to a political speech, or to discuss the best knitting techniques. If people start gathering in parking lots for any of those other reasons, the police should be breaking them up as well.

But good to see that even in these trying times some Christians can still find ways to feel persecuted.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
What is it really about? That is the real question. You won't find that answer on Fox "news".

The fact that these Christians are whining about not getting to go to church when they should be caring more about helping the governments protect lives by slowing the spread of a pandemic, tells me all I need to know about their religion.
You aren't slowing the pandemic by staying in your car? How do you buy food?

Kenny

Premium Member
Why is this so hard for some people to understand? The idea is that everyone should be STAYING AT HOME. This means STAY AT HOME, not gather together in our cars to listen to a sermon, or listen to a political speech, or to discuss the best knitting techniques. If people start gathering in parking lots for any of those other reasons, the police should be breaking them up as well.

But good to see that even in these trying times some Christians can still find ways to feel persecuted.
So... don't go to store to buy groceries because you are in a car, don't go to the hospital because you are in a car, don't wave at your grandchild's birthday through the window because windows don't stop viruses?

Where is the logic? This isn't a jail sentence! This is abuse of power!

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You aren't slowing the pandemic by staying in your car? How do you buy food?
Neither you nor I know the full story behind why they were ordered to disperse. Fox "news" is entertainment. It's not real news. It did not try to understand the event from other perspectives. Their "news" was simply to just chime in and complain that these poor Christians were somehow being victimized in order to make viewers feel "outraged" at such a horrific infraction of religious freedoms.

And that was my whole point. For right or for wrong on the interpretation of the orders to not congregate, rather than supporting the government in its efforts to protect others from infection, these Christians whined. "Church is essential services! Why can't we have what we want! Wahhhh....! It's unfair! They're persecuting us!"

Jesus wept. :(

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know how drive in church services are performed, so I don't know what this 'Ban' on them is for. Maybe its spiteful or maybe there is a reason why the legislators would risk public ire over them. I think the latter is more likely. I don't know much about that ban, however I do know why liquor stores should keep operating if they can.

I think it would be unwise to close liquor stores, and they are taking some precautions that churches are not able to take. They can (and some do) require patrons to remain several feet from the cashier and to handle transactions at a distance. Again, I don't know what drive in churches do or how they manage to have meetings, so I don't know what the ban is about; but I think that a liquor store is where you're least likely to contract C19.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't know how drive in church services are performed, so I don't know what this 'Ban' on them is for. Maybe its spiteful or maybe there is a reason why the legislators would risk public ire over them. I think the latter is more likely. I don't know much about that ban, however I do know why liquor stores should keep operating if they can.

I think it would be unwise to close liquor stores, and they are taking some precautions that churches are not able to take. They can (and some do) require patrons to remain several feet from the cashier and to handle transactions at a distance. Again, I don't know what drive in churches do or how they manage to have meetings, so I don't know what the ban is about; but I think that a liquor store is where you're least likely to contract C19.
A lot of the establishments now are erecting plastic barriers between the cashier and the customer.

Rational Agnostic

What's wrong with gathering in cars? A virus can't be transmitted from car to car if people stay in their cars. If anything, banning these types of services will actually lead to more virus transmissions, because people will gather in person in groups in people's homes instead. And if people want to do this instead, I honestly don't care. What people do in the privacy of their own homes is THEIR BUSINESS. Funny how all American values go out the window when sheeple get scared of a damn virus. As my favorite band (Green Day) put it:

Don't wanna be an American idiot
One nation controlled by the media
Information Age of hysteria
It's calling out to idiot America

QuestioningMind

So... don't go to store to buy groceries because you are in a car, don't go to the hospital because you are in a car, don't wave at your grandchild's birthday through the window because windows don't stop viruses?

Where is the logic? This isn't a jail sentence! This is abuse of power!

Yeah, let's throw a major hissy-fit because we need to disrupt our lives for a bit in order to stop a major pandemic from devastating society. Who gives a rat's @ss if this condition gets considerably worse, as long as it doesn't inconvenience ME presently.

It's really very SIMPLE. STAY AT HOME unless it is an absolute necessity. Going to the store for food is a NECESSITY! Going to the doctor if your sick is a NECESSITY. Driving by the wave at your granddaughter on her birthday would sure be NICE, but it's NOT a necessity. Neither is gathering together to listen to someone read from a book that you already have and can read for yourself. It's not just YOU and other Christians who need to STAY AT HOME... it's also people who gather together for political rallies, people who like to get together for 'trivia night' at the local bar, book club at the library, or the yearly Great Chili Cook Off. EVERYBODY needs to make some sacrifices during these times.

Funny how you don't hear any of these other groups whining about they can't gather together in cars in a parking lot. Good to see that even in these trying times there are still some Christians who can pretend like they're being persecuted.

QuestioningMind

What's wrong with gathering in cars? A virus can't be transmitted from car to car if people stay in their cars. If anything, banning these types of services will actually lead to more virus transmissions, because people will gather in person in groups in people's homes instead. And if people want to do this instead, I honestly don't care. What people do in the privacy of their own homes is THEIR BUSINESS. Funny how all American values go out the window when sheeple get scared of a damn virus. As my favorite band (Green Day) put it:

Don't wanna be an American idiot
One nation controlled by the media
Information Age of hysteria
It's calling out to idiot America

Because the best way to stop the spread of this virus is for everyone to STAY AT HOME unless it's an absolute necessity. Like it or not you're a part of a society and thus have certain obligations to that society. Your personal rights do not extend to a right to endanger other people in society. It may be against your nature, but this is a time when you need to stop selfishly thinking about yourself and instead concern yourself with the health and safety of the entire group. Our 'American values' aren't as weak as you fear and will survive... they have in the past.

Kenny

Premium Member
Yeah, let's throw a major hissy-fit because we need to disrupt our lives for a bit in order to stop a major pandemic from devastating society. Who gives a rat's @ss if this condition gets considerably worse, as long as it doesn't inconvenience ME presently.

It's really very SIMPLE. STAY AT HOME unless it is an absolute necessity. Going to the store for food is a NECESSITY! Going to the doctor if your sick is a NECESSITY. Driving by the wave at your granddaughter on her birthday would sure be NICE, but it's NOT a necessity. Neither is gathering together to listen to someone read from a book that you already have and can read for yourself. It's not just YOU and other Christians who need to STAY AT HOME... it's also people who gather together for political rallies, people who like to get together for 'trivia night' at the local bar, book club at the library, or the yearly Great Chili Cook Off. EVERYBODY needs to make some sacrifices during these times.

Funny how you don't hear any of these other groups whining about they can't gather together in cars in a parking lot. Good to see that even in these trying times there are still some Christians who can pretend like they're being persecuted.
But it was OK TO HAVE THE LIQUOR STORE OPEN??? You must have passed by and picked some up before you made the comment. ;)

Rational Agnostic

Because the best way to stop the spread of this virus is for everyone to STAY AT HOME unless it's an absolute necessity. Like it or not you're a part of a society and thus have certain obligations to that society. Your personal rights do not extend to a right to endanger other people in society. It may be against your nature, but this is a time when you need to stop selfishly thinking about yourself and instead concern yourself with the health and safety of the entire group. Our 'American values' aren't as weak as you fear and will survive... they have in the past.

You didn't address what I said. If you ban services in cars, people will gather in groups in homes and spread the virus even more. "Stay at home" is idiotic. A virus can't spread between people in cars. Use your head, bud