• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You are not entitled to your opinion

David1967

Premium Member
I don't think that 'entitlement' has anything to do with someone having an opinion. Opinion is simply something we automatically develop regarding a subject. I try to make sure mine are informed.

Nimos

This statement has been attributed to author Harlan Ellison, though it appears to be far more polite than his actual phrasing.

Regardless of your views on Ellison himself, what are your thoughts on this sentiment? Is an opinion formed from ignorance something people are entitled to? Why or why not?
I don't know this author and which context this were written in, but simply judging his statement. Since the word ignorance is used, I assume that he doesn't mean whether you have an opinion about what tastes best apples or oranges.

So if we exclude that, I would say that he is correct. No people want to hear someones opinion about something important if they know nothing about it. Like a doctor giving his opinion about a condition, that he is not qualified in. Rather hear it from someone that is.

At least, that is how I understand what he is saying.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
quote-you-are-not-entitled-to-your-opinion-you-are-entitled-to-your-informed-opinion-no-one-harlan-ellison-59-88-40.jpg
From this quote, I discern that this guy is a pigu.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
This statement has been attributed to author Harlan Ellison, though it appears to be far more polite than his actual phrasing.

Regardless of your views on Ellison himself, what are your thoughts on this sentiment? Is an opinion formed from ignorance something people are entitled to? Why or why not?

If one is ignorant on a subject, how will they ever learn of their ignorance if they never express their opinion?

I'd rather people feel entitled to express themselves so we can work together to eliminate our collective ignorance.

Daemon Sophic

So morality/ethics/the law is a fact? Or is it an opinion?
They are opinions, and often they are based on the facts, but then again, many are not. I’m just conveying how, I believe, they SHOULD be created.

Take prohibition as an example.
FACTS:
1. Alcohol decreases the drinker’s reaction speed.
2. Alcohol acts as a mental/neurological depressant, slowing many functions of cognition.
3. Alcohol makes most people less socially inhibited. This feature often increases with dosage, until unconsciousness or death.
4. Chronic overuse of alcohol can lead to gradual hepatic cirrhosis, as well as other medical and social problems: while in severe acute cases, lethal overdose.
—————————————————
Opinion A. Not based on fact. We should outlaw alcohol because it is the **** of the devil.
Opinion B. Not based on fact. Alcohol should be legal, because it is a gift from God.
Opinion C. Based on fact (that I agree with). We should outlaw driving motor vehicles and heavy machinery while intoxicated, because the decrease of reaction speed and cognition make the drunk operator a hazard to life around them, as well as themselves.
Opinion D. Based on fact (but I disagree with). All of the facts about alcohol listed above, make alcohol too dangerous for consumption by the citizens of this country, regardless of their activities while inebriated; therefore we should outlaw all production, sales, and/or use of alcohol.

Skwim

Veteran Member

Stupid way to get attention, but so be it.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
They are opinions, and often they are based on the facts, but then again, many are not. I’m just conveying how, I believe, they SHOULD be created.

Take prohibition as an example.
FACTS:
1. Alcohol decreases the drinker’s reaction speed.
2. Alcohol acts as a mental/neurological depressant, slowing many functions of cognition.
3. Alcohol makes most people less socially inhibited. This feature often increases with dosage, until unconsciousness or death.
4. Chronic overuse of alcohol can lead to gradual hepatic cirrhosis, as well as other medical and social problems: while in severe acute cases, lethal overdose.
—————————————————
Opinion A. Not based on fact. We should outlaw alcohol because it is the **** of the devil.
Opinion B. Not based on fact. Alcohol should be legal, because it is a gift from God.
Opinion C. Based on fact (that I agree with). We should outlaw driving motor vehicles and heavy machinery while intoxicated, because the decrease of reaction speed and cognition make the drunk operator a hazard to life around them, as well as themselves.
Opinion D. Based on fact (but I disagree with). All of the facts about alcohol listed above, make alcohol too dangerous for consumption by the citizens of this country, regardless of their activities while inebriated; therefore we should outlaw all production, sales, and/or use of alcohol.

+1 :)

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member

Maybe someone has noted this, but Ellison's statement is, itself, an opinion. How informed it is, I cannot say. While I am familiar with him and have read or watched a fair amount of his work, I am ignorant of the breadth and depth of information that went into formulating that statement.

Are opinions an entitlement or the natural consequence of the conscious mind?

Ellison is an intelligent person who is very opinionated, but that does not make his opinions facts. That may be an important point. You can have an opinion, but I cannot see being entitled to make it a fact.

Shad

Veteran Member

If we can not be wrong we have no freedom of thought.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member

It seems to me, that in a free country, you have to tolerate opinions that are entirely or partly based in ignorance and those espousing them have the right to express opinions of that nature. But they should have no expectation that anyone attribute significance to those opinions merely because they have been expressed.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
s an opinion formed from ignorance something people are entitled to? Why or why not?
We should only interfere with people's freedom when it harms others. Too many religions seek to dominate the culture by converting everybody.