• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yorkshire Ripper Peter Sutcliffe dies, aged 74.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
As reported >here<, Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper and notorious mass murderer has died.

He was insane in a manner which didn't spare him the weight of the law.

And he was reported to have heard Jesus saying he approved of what Sutcliffe did. If you read what Sutcliffe is actually recorded as saying, it's not quite like that ─ rather, on more than one occasion in a cemetery he felt very strongly that one of the gravestones was communicating an approval of that kind to him, in association with the conviction that it represented Jesus' approval.

But one way or another he brought questions of human justice into a particular focus, and if you're a believer, his death raises questions of supernatural justice as well.

Where do mass murderers go when they die?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't say I know what happens to a person like him after death, but I imagine there'll be a whole lot of soul purification or even a reincarnation. It would be fitting should he live his next life as a prostitute.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
As reported >here<, Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper and notorious mass murderer has died.

And he was reported to have heard Jesus saying he approved of what Sutcliffe did. If you read what Sutcliffe is actually recorded as saying, it's not quite like that ─ rather, on more than one occasion in a cemetery he felt very strongly that one of the gravestones was communicating an approval of that kind to him, in association with the conviction that it represented Jesus' approval.

But one way or another he brought questions of human justice into a particular focus, and if you're a believer, his death raises questions of supernatural justice as well.

I believe consciousness dies with the brain so, sorry, no afterlife punishment.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Same place as gangsters go when they die.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I can't say I know what happens to a person like him after death, but I imagine there'll be a whole lot of soul purification or even a reincarnation. It would be fitting should he live his next life as a prostitute.
I understand that response, making the punishment fit the crime or poetic justice.

In human justice we keep the idea of personal responsibility, yet our laws have versions of the defense of being insane. In most English-speaking jurisdictions the old English definition, or versions of it, are used.

It says that to run a defense of insanity, you have to show that the accused person suffered from a "disease of the mind" such that ─
(a) the person did not know what he or she was doing, or
(b) if the person knew what he or she was doing, he or she did not know it was wrong.

And this was the hurdle that Sutcliffe failed to clear, notwithstanding that four psychiatrists testified he was suffering from paranoid schizophrenia. Neither the judge who ordered the case to proceed to a jury trial, nor the jury (with the support of the trial judge) accepted the defense, nor did that change when the case was taken on appeal.

So before we send Sutcliffe for a second time around as a prostitute, do we accept that his mental condition was his own fault, and do we accept that even if it was, he should have been able to control it when manifestly that wasn't in his nature?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Glad to hear he's dead.
It's a common belief in Heathenry that wicked people go to a place called Nastrond and are chewed on by the dragon, Níðhöggr. Personally, my belief is that they are devoured by the dragon (i.e. "recycled") and their elements, including their broken minds, are abosrbed back into the universe.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
While I wouldn't want that particular appellation,
"The Yorkshire Ripper", it would be nice if I earn
something as sonorous & dramatic when I die.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
All of the victims were women, not all of the victims were sex workers; not that this was relevant to the lives lost or the grieving families.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Glad to hear he's dead.

It's a common belief in Heathenry that wicked people go to a place called Nastrond and are chewed on by the dragon, Níðhöggr. Personally, my belief is that they are devoured by the dragon (i.e. "recycled") and their elements, including their broken minds, are abosrbed back into the universe.
Yes, that should work ─ but first catch your Níðhöggr ...

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
While I wouldn't want that particular appellation,
"The Yorkshire Ripper", it would be nice if I earn
something that sonorous & dramatic when I die.

No it wouldn't.

Here lies mr revolt, lived by bacon and haggis, died of bacon and haggis. Sounds good and much better than being known as a suck minded murderer.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I think that God knows if it was the product of a mental illness or not.

I don't believe people who have physical impairments require spiritual rehabilitation.

So to me when his spirit was awakened at death if his misdeeds were purely the result of mental illness he will find himself spiritually complete.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think that God knows if it was the product of a mental illness or not.

I don't believe people who have physical impairments require spiritual rehabilitation.

So to me when his spirit was awakened at death if his misdeeds were purely the result of mental illness he will find himself spiritually complete.
It's not easy to distinguish mental illness from self on the question of whether his crimes were "purely" the result of mental illness, no?

Consider the case of obsessive-compulsive disorders, where the subject in one sense or another knows that washing the hands every two minutes is futile, and that stalking the former girlfriend in violation of court orders is wrong, but that knowledge is swept away in the obsessive compulsion to do it regardless.

And if lack of empathy, leading to sociopathy, is medically a mental disorder (and if it's due to lack of mirror neurons, which is an active hypothesis, and thus also a physical disorder), what does divine justice require (even though human justice may feel obliged to ignore those facts)?