• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yogananda on Bhagavad Gita

Nicholas

Bodhicitta
To keep the body in good health is a duty... otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear. - Buddha

Thus to keep oneself healthy is a sacred duty, to ward off delusion and error on the mental plane as well. This is important in terms of cultivating viveka and discrimination between the real and unreal.

Nicholas, have you read Yogananda's book 'Autobiography of a Yogi' !

I read it as a teenager, and it helped me to get rid of the fear of death and loss, and brought me closer to the spiritual path. The Bhagavad Gita also had a similar influence on me.

Yes indeed, many years ago of course ( my age is over 70). It is a spiritual classic!

Shantanu

Yes indeed, many years ago of course ( my age is over 70). It is a spiritual classic!
You are too easily impressed Nicholas: there is a shortcoming in Yogananda and his predecessor Mahavatar in that they did not know the Ultimate Truth that avatarhood is just a passing phase to one realising that one is God and so infallible and perfect in ones dharmic actions daily.:)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, views. Yours may be different than mine. Will not the atoms of your body (as that of any living or non-living thing) disintegrate and combine with atoms of other lving and non-living things? Is that view false? And no one has proved the existence of soul or God. Don't just make statements, defend them with arguments.

Shantanu

..no one has proved the existence of ... God
Aup, please qualify this statement with 'proof that meets the requirements of scientific rigour'.

So you must think that I was a complete idiot after my 35 scientific papers in international journals to rely on my faith-based clock-checking for the display of 7 in the time as being messages from God to guide me as the required proof for living my life to attain survival with dignity?

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, Krishna too is very dear to me, and I would not start on my atheistic arguments here - I am a 'janeu-dhari' Hindu, though I wear it only when I perform a 'shraddha'. My grandfather spent a lot of money on the ceremony. But beware of hallucinations. :D
BTW, I do not think your post establishes the existence of God.

Shantanu

Ha-ha, you are right. :)
What puzzles me when I examine your postings and mine is does it matter whether one is an atheist or a theist except in the sense that the theist is more knowledeable than the atheist: You are a great survivor and so am I.;)

Shantanu

Ha-ha again. Yes, The theist is more knowledgeable than the atheist. Have your fun. :D
The only thing that matters if one joins a Forum is to have the target of being able to respond to any questions that are posed to oneself: if one is able to do that one is more knowledeable than others. One survives in the game for the battle of ideas. Ones ideas dominate the forum. It attracts followers, You get ratings if people like your ideas posted. Others fall by the wayside.

I intend to be a poster in the Hinduism DIR for the rest of my life and a Blogger as well where I condense what I post here.:)

Nicholas

Bodhicitta
Swami Y. comments on verse 7 of chapter XIV, which is on the bonds of gunas and their transcendence:

O Son of Kunti (Arjuna), understand that the activating rajas is imbued with passion, giving
birth to desire and attachment; it strongly binds the embodied soul by a clinging to works.

The performance of worldly activity without wisdom gives rise to an unquenchable thirst of longings for
and attachments to material objects and egotistical satisfactions. The man who acts for selfish reasons
becomes deeply attached to bodily activities and desires.
Such worldly activity binds the majority of persons to earthly rebirths, owing to the ceaseless desires
it engenders, many of which remain unfulfilled at the time of death. To perform worldly activities only to
please God, however, is never binding.
A few persons are sattvic. There are also a few men of exceedingly tamasic nature—those who are
effortlessly disposed to commit evil. But the greatest number of human beings are rajasic by inclination;
impelled by the passion characteristic of rajoguna, they remain absorbed in worldly and selfish interests.

Nicholas

Bodhicitta
I am the rod of the discipliners; I am the art of those who seek
victory; I am also the silence of all hidden things, and the wisdom
of all knowers.

The rod is God's Law of cause and effect, karma, the ultimate discipliner. The errant man may escape the punishment of man-made laws, but karmic justice is inexorable, appeasable only by right actions which earn rewards of merit and ultimate pardon. The Bible also refers to the law of karma as "the rod": "Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me." [Psalms 23:4.] The karmic principle is a source of comfort to those who understand its discipline and rewards as pointing the way to true happiness and liberation.

God's all-conquering power is manifested in right actions and in noble motives and goals. These are the divine science and art through which His rewarding karmic law grants victory to the valiant.

God is the Uncreate Silence, hidden in all forces and objects of cosmic nature. The creatures of nature see only the gross expressions
that maya displays, not the hidden Mystery that makes them seem so real and vital. God's silent Presence within all phenomena of the
cosmic dream is His best-kept secret, discoverable by no limited human mind.

It is written, "He who knows, he knows; naught else knows." Only through divine realization does one know God and truth, and knows that he knows . God is the wisdom, the perceiving and the perception, of that knower.

From chapter 10:38

Last edited: