• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yoga

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Well, simply put raja yoga is the path to God through psychophysical experiments, or meditation. One tries to connect with the Divine through a series of meditations, connecting the mind back with the Divine.

anders

To the extent that yoga applies to me, the Daoist (I think I am one :) ), it must be jñanayoga. I'm perfectly :D uninterested in practising a philosophy or a religion.

Ingo

Hi Natural Submission,
I have recently been interested in formally studying Yoga, and particularly in reading a translation of Patanjali's Yoga Sutras (written in Sanskrit about 2000 years ago), which comprise 195 sutras or aphorisms on the practice of yoga. I found a book in my local library called 'The Science of Yoga' by I. K. Taimini. It is a commentary on Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. I have not finished reading it but it has piqued my interest enough to want to read the whole book. I also found two websites which I am using for my reference:

http://www.lifepositive.com/yoga.html - A beatifully organized site

http://hrih.hypermart.net/patanjali/ - Includes links to books on the subject, online library, etc.

Enjoy your research!

Natural Submission

Excellent!

My wife intends to start Yoga classes soon, i'll have to share this with her as well, thank you.

Many blessing to you and your loved ones!

anders

Natural Submission said:
Why are you uninterested in practising a philosophy or a religion?
Perhaps I should have made myself more clear regarding "practising". I don't believe that physical exercises are meaningful for a person's developing of a way of life. OTOH, when having found a philosophy that works for me, I surely think that I should live according to it.

Ingo

Natural Submission said:
Excellent!

My wife intends to start Yoga classes soon, i'll have to share this with her as well, thank you.

Many blessing to you and your loved ones!
You're most welcome. And thank you for sharing the Sivananda site which you found: I will add it to my 'reliable sources for reference'. I checked the Amazon website for reader reviews of the book I mentioned - its full title is 'The Science of Yoga: The Yoga-Sutras of Patanjali in Sanskrit With Transliteration in Roman, Translation and Commentary in English' by I. K. Taimini. There were two reviews: one rated it 4 stars out of 5 and the other rated it 5 stars out of 5 - not bad, I suppose, for a sample of 2! :) It's about 400 pages, and is a slow read for me, as I need to stop, absorb and think about its content before I continue reading!

I appreciate your blessings and reciprocate the same for you and your family!

Onlybsen

Yoga is a vast subject and has many versions. Therefore it cannot be covered under one site or book. However I visit one site which has reasonable content and you can follow too. Here it is: visit yogamystic.blogspot.com and enrich your knowledge.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, simply put raja yoga is the path to God through psychophysical experiments, or meditation. One tries to connect with the Divine through a series of meditations, connecting the mind back with the Divine.
What if you are the one whom you are seeking?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Perhaps I should have made myself more clear regarding "practising". I don't believe that physical exercises are meaningful for a person's developing of a way of life. OTOH, when having found a philosophy that works for me, I surely think that I should live according to it.
Dear friend, physical excercises can also help in good living and control of thought processes (would you think 'pranayam' is not useful?).

Natural Submission: Could I suggest 'modern books' at Sacred-Texts: Hinduism. Beware of bogus gurus and their philosophies, do not look for exotics. Meditation is just for stream-lining thought processes. You would not ever be able to levitate.