• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yi-Fu Tuan on fear

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
More than once I've noted Yi-Fu Tuan's suggestion that ...

All human beings are religious if religion is broadly defined as the impulse for coherence and meaning.​

... and I still find the quote to be intriguing and helpful.

Similarly intriguing is the following:

In a sense, every human construction, whether mental or material, is a component in a landscape of fear because it exists in constant chaos. Thus children's fairy tales as well as adult's legends, cosmological myths, and indeed philosophical systems are shelters built by the mind in which human beings can rest, at least temporarily, from the siege of inchoate experience and of doubt.
― Yi-Fu Tuan, Landscapes of Fear

These two quotes seem to resonate with one another and, among other things, help explain our penchant for dogmatism and xenophobia.

Thoughts?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
All human beings are religious if religion is broadly defined as the impulse for coherence and meaning.
Strikes me as the opposite of wu-wei as described in Doasim....

By this definition is a Doaist who practices wu-wei inhuman? ( Ignoring the obvious RF jokes about @Wu Wei , who is a bear ) It makes me wonder about Yi-Fu Tuan's opinion of Daosim and wu wei.

In other words, not all people that I meet desire coherence and meaning. Some people desire spontaneity, mystery, and are not troubled by unanswered questions. ( I'm not one of these lucky people... maybe I'll get there someday )

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

All human beings are religious if religion is broadly defined as the impulse for coherence and meaning.​

In a sense, every human construction, whether mental or material, is a component in a landscape of fear because it exists in constant chaos. Thus children's fairy tales as well as adult's legends, cosmological myths, and indeed philosophical systems are shelters built by the mind in which human beings can rest, at least temporarily, from the siege of inchoate experience and of doubt.

These two quotes seem to resonate with one another and, among other things, help explain our penchant for dogmatism and xenophobia.

Thoughts?
I am not seeing the connection to dogmatism and xenophobia, but otherwise, sure.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Strikes me as the opposite of wu-wei as described in Doasim....

By this definition is a Doaist who practices wu-wei inhuman? ( Ignoring the obvious RF jokes about @Wu Wei , who is a bear ) It makes me wonder about Yi-Fu Tuan's opinion of Daosim and wu wei.

In other words, not all people that I meet desire coherence and meaning. Some people desire spontaneity, mystery, and are not troubled by unanswered questions. ( I'm not one of these lucky people... maybe I'll get there someday )
Daoism is no stranger to living through paradoxes in order to resolve them, not entirely unlike Zen.

Mountains as Mountains, Waters as Waters – DAILY ZEN

Acceptance of the chaotic aspects of reality is a solid, sensible first step in attaining coherence and meaning.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"If religion is broadly defined as..."
No, I prefer to not have religion include all of human thought & behavior.
Limiting what words mean to what is commonly understood is useful.

So...how's that for the most uninteresting response so far?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

It is actually interesting, in that it lampshades how vaguely religion is defined and even how ambiguous adherence to it can often be - by design even.

One thing to consider is that religious diffusion provides, among other things, language. The existence and usage of certain concepts has a cultural impact and invites people to use them regardless of actual belief in their correspondence to facts.

Another is the matter of cultural identity. Word has it that there were times in Ireland when the Jewish People sometimes had to voice whether they considered themselves "Catholic Jews" or "Protestant Jews". I understand that not everyone is confortable with that, but the plain fact is that there is a degree of cultural identity shaping by way of overall belief trends - and it does not have to correspond particularly well with actual belief.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is actually interesting, in that it lampshades how vaguely religion is defined and even how ambiguous adherence to it can often be - by design even.

One thing to consider is that religious diffusion provides, among other things, language. The existence and usage of certain concepts has a cultural impact and invites people to use them regardless of actual belief in their correspondence to facts.
I've noticed in some people that their religion is fully integrated with
everything they think & do. Nothing is separate....so for them, "religion"
is akin to "reality". This heathen lacks that perspective, ie, religion is just
that narrower set of beliefs & practices regarding the supernatural.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

I don't know maybe it's something super simple. Yi-Fu Tua has not met a Revoltingest before. He's just a little ignorant of all you have to offer.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I don't know maybe it's something super simple. Yi-Fu Tua has not met a Revoltingest before. He's just a little ignorant of all you have to offer.

They would lose their Zen cards in the process...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have nothing to offer but Simpsons videos & Wolfgang Pauli quotes.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Thoughts?

Redefining words does nothing but breed confusion. And xenophobia? Not me, i am dogmatic about that

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Redefining words does nothing but breed confusion.

Quite true, but when it comes to "religion", that ship has sailed for a long time already.

There are many competing meanings, and some are very much at odds with each other. It is only fair to present a specific, well delimited understanding for consideration as part of an argument.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I see both as silos in response to uncertainty..
Well, yes. But that is as far as it goes.

Religion as I understand it to be, in a valid and healthy form, has among other roles that of providing a constructive alternative to the evils that are dogmatism and xenophobia.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I've noticed in some people that their religion is fully integrated with
everything they think & do. Nothing is separate....so for them, "religion"
is akin to "reality". This heathen lacks that perspective, ie, religion is just
that narrower set of beliefs & practices regarding the supernatural.
Quite fair. I will put that in the folder for "hints that ignosticism is a Good Thing, Worth Raising Awareness Of".