• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yggdrasil Tattoo (repost)

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Reposting in a general thread, so non-Heathens can appreciate it too.

A while back I designed my next tattoo, and yesterday I got it. Yggdrasil houses Eight of the Nine Worlds, with the primordial forces of Múspellsheimr and Niflheimr represented by the sun and moon. The roots - through which Níðhöggr entwines, connect with my Wardruna bindrune. This is done to represent Odin looking down from Yggdrasil to grasp the runes (though I believe the Futhark are our runes, and the ones Odin acquired are different and shrouded in mystery.)

Yggdrasil tattoo.jpg

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

A while back I designed my next tattoo, and yesterday I got it. Yggdrasil houses Eight of the Nine Worlds, with the primordial forces of Múspellsheimr and Niflheimr represented by the sun and moon. The roots - through which Níðhöggr entwines, connect with my Wardruna bindrune. This is done to represent Odin looking down from Yggdrasil to grasp the runes (though I believe the Futhark are our runes, and the ones Odin acquired are different and shrouded in mystery.)

View attachment 21035

Translate for this non-heathern.

What is the story behine your tatoo?

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner

View attachment 21035

It's a very nice and well done tattoo

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Sorry this has taken so long.

So in Norse cosmology, Yggdrasil is the Worlds Tree that houses the Nine Realms.

Múspellsheimr: Primordial realm of heat and life - Represented by the sunwheel ringed in eight Maðr ᛘ ("M") runes; forms a simplified Aegishjalmur or "Helm of Protection/Awe"
Asgardr: Realm of the Æsir (Odin, Thor, Frigga, etc) - Represented by the bough marked by the Ár ᛅ ("A") rune
Vanaheimr: Realm of the Vanir (Njord, Freyr, Freyja, etc) - Represented by the bough marked by the Úr ᚢ ("U/V") rune
Ljósálfaheimr: Realm of the álfar (elves) - Represented by the bough marked by the Lögr ᛚ ("L") rune
Miðgarðr: Middle-Earth; the Realm of Man - Represented by the trunk of Yggdrasil marked by the Maðr ᛘ ("M") rune
Svartálfaheimr: Realm of the dökkálfar (dwarves) - Represented by the bough marked by the Sól ᛋ ("S") rune
Jötunheimr: Realm of the jötnar (giants) - Represented by the bough marked by the Is ᛁ ("I/J") rune
Helheimr: Realm of the dead - Represented by the bough marked by the Hagal ᚼ ("H") rune
Niflheimr: Primordial realm of cold and entropy - Represented by the moon symbol, ringed by four Nauðr ᚾ ("N") runes; having half the number of the sunwheel represents half the light given by the moon in comparison

At the top of Yggdrasil roosts a nameless eagle, and through it's roots winds Níðhöggr, the dragon that gnaws at it's roots (and also devours the corpses of community-peace breakers)