• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yes Virginia there is no such thing as Santa Claus.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Yes.

That is a very vague question. Yes and no.
Given that you answered Yes to question one, I have no further need to make an explanation as you should already clearly understand the dynamics involved.

I'd leave question 2 for more qualified types like @Vouthon and @Windwalker to explain the importance of myth, as its not really my thing. I do know that myth is an extremely powerful tool however.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Given that you answered Yes to question one, I have no further need to make an explanation as you should already clearly understand the dynamics involved.
My understanding of the dynamics involved, should give you pause. Either you can or cannot explain and justify your perspective.
I'd leave question 2 for more qualified types like @Vouthon and @Windwalker to explain the importance of myth, as its not really my thing.
I welcome them.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Because that is the distinction between sincere religious belief of a parent. That is the difference between god and santa with respect to a third party informing a child about their existence.

I am not so sure of that. I think that many parents raise their children in a religion because they think.It is good for them.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I am not so sure of that. I think that many parents raise their children in a religion because they think.It is good for them.
Well beyond speculation, we still use that standard when defining religious belief. It is that standard which prevents this from being a religious issue.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I think the teacher may have grounds to complain about the reason for dismissal being unfair. It's not an announcement that should have affected her livelihood. I think it grossly underestimates the intelligence of six-year old kids, too, to separate "once upon a time" from something real. I laughed at this part:

The principal had written to parents so they would be "aware of the situation" and able to "take appropriate steps to maintain the childhood innocence of the holiday season" at home.
It's more about the parents' sensibilities than it is about the kids.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think the teacher may have grounds to complain about the reason for dismissal being unfair. It's not an announcement that should have affected her livelihood. I think it grossly underestimates the intelligence of six-year old kids, too, to separate "once upon a time" from something real. I laughed at this part:

The principal had written to parents so they would be "aware of the situation" and able to "take appropriate steps to maintain the childhood innocence of the holiday season" at home.
It's more about the parents' sensibilities than it is about the kids.

That's my thoughts about it. I can see maybe a temporary suspension for upsetting the students.

Santa Clause in my opinion a great tradition for kids even though it's clearly a lie. It's probably best not to even acknowledge Santa Clause whatsoever, but it's been done for so many centuries now it's almost could be seen as a relatively harmless rite of passage for children.

But I'm pretty sure teachers do get asked that question if there is a Santa Claus by their students for which I would think the best answer would be to play into their imagination and just remind them to be good and do the right things. A satisfactory tactical deflection that would not ruin a child's day , yet remain honest on the matter.

I don't encourage any school to prompt this teacher to follow a well known lie by lying back to the kids. I think by protecting a lie, a school will be setting a very bad example. Even worse if the teacher has been fired for telling the truth.