• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yes Virginia there is no such thing as Santa Claus.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Good. She had no business telling young children that and ruining their holiday. It's cruel.
What if the kids asked? Is it really ruining a child's anything to tell them magic isn't real? What should the teacher have said?

Does this line of thinking stop at Santa claus? What about ghosts, unicorns, monsters?

What line is the teacher crossing that is unprofessional or worthy of punishment?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
What if the kids asked? Is it really ruining a child's anything to tell them magic isn't real? What should the teacher have said?

Does this line of thinking stop at Santa claus? What about ghosts, unicorns, monsters?

What line is the teacher crossing that is unprofessional or worthy of punishment?
There's ways of answering that don't deny the existence of Santa. Agnostic answers, well say. I think it's good to let kids have their fairy tales and folklore. Childhood is over very quickly.

I don't think ghosts are in the same category as unicorns.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

One is starting to cross over the line into religious belief by doing so. Do you think that the teacher would have been right in saying that Christianity is based upon a myth? Or Islam? Hinduism? It was not the teacher's place to give this particular lesson.

Curious George

Veteran Member
There's ways of answering that don't deny the existence of Santa. Agnostic answers, well say. I think it's good to let kids have their fairy tales and folklore. Childhood is over very quickly.

I don't think ghosts are in the same category as unicorns.
How?

Unanswered questions:
Is it really ruining a child's anything to tell them magic isn't real? What should the teacher have said?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Who would ever expect teachers of small children to be sensitive to small children? I'm sorry, any person, who enjoys a healthy mental capacity would instantly realize that there are some things you do NOT tell young children. Even if some kid came up and asked her, the proper deferral would be to say, "Gee, Felicity, that is such an important question that only moms and dads can answer it right! Run along now!"

Heaven forbid that we put any power back into the hands of parents.

Curious George

Veteran Member
One is starting to cross over the line into religious belief by doing so. Do you think that the teacher would have been right in saying that Christianity is based upon a myth? Or Islam? Hinduism? It was not the teacher's place to give this particular lesson.
You believe that santa existing is an honestly held belief of the parent?

Curious George

Veteran Member
Who would ever expect teachers of small children to be sensitive? I'm sorry, any person, who enjoys a healthy mental capacity would instantly realize that there are some things you do NOT tell young children. Even if some kid came up and asked her, the proper deferral would be to say, "Gee, Felicity, that is such an important question that only moms and dads can answer it right! Run along now!"
Why do you "NOT" tell children that santa is not real?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
How?

Unanswered questions:
Ghosts are a matter of personal belief, like deities. They can't be disproven. You either believe or not. Unicorns are mythological animals like Pegasus. There's no evidence for them existing outside of myth. You can't prove they were real animals.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Why do you "NOT" tell children that santa is not real?
IT would not occur to me to even enter into such a discussion with a young child.

1. I am not a parent so would be overstepping my bounds as a citizen
2. I understand the psychological value of myth
3. I'm not big on being a kill-joy for no reason.
4. I would defer to the child's nearest parent.

My own thinking is that kids learn a great deal from the Santa experience, which they will eventually just outgrow. I figured it out myself when I was about 5 but would have been traumatized had I found out before I was ready. I was really into Santa as a wee child and even sat with my puppy in my PJ's one Christmas eve waiting at the window to catch a sight of the old geezer. He never showed at midnight and that puzzled me even at age 3 or 4. I just went back to bed and forgot my disappointment.

Last edited:

Altfish

Veteran Member
The teacher should be sacked for being such a killjoy.

If only teachers would tell their kids that god doesn't exist and is solely a money-making and controlling scam

Curious George

Veteran Member
Ghosts are a matter of personal belief, like deities. They can't be disproven. You either believe or not. Unicorns are mythological animals like Pegasus. There's no evidence for them existing outside of myth. You can't prove they were real animals.
Sorry, i meant how should one answer without denying the existence of santa.

So you are saying it is okay to tell children unicorns don't exist?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Sorry, i meant how should one answer without denying the existence of santa.

The real question is why would I need to? Most of us grow out of those beliefs without having to be told. I always knew "Santa" was my mom but I never felt the need to tell other kids that "Santa" is their parents.

Curious George

Veteran Member
IT would not occur to me to even enter into such a discussion with a young child.

1. I am not a parent so would be overstepping my bounds as a citizen
2. I understand the psychological value of myth
3. I'm not big on being a kill-joy for no reason.
4. I would defer to the child's nearest parent.
Sorry that was the plural you.

1) is this parental rights? Can you draw a bright line for me here? What is okay to tell a child and what is not okay to tell a child?

2) explain what you understand then.

3) how is that a kill joy?

4) why?

Curious George

Veteran Member
The real question is why would I need to? Most of us grow out of those beliefs without having to be told. I always knew "Santa" was my mom but I never felt the need to tell other kids that "Santa" is their parents.

Why would you need to answer the question without denying the existence? You wouldn't. But you said you should. So I am asking how.

Unanswered questions:

Is it really ruining a child's anything to tell them magic isn't real? What should the teacher have said?