• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yerubaal Inscription discovered

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Jerubbaal: Alias of Biblical Judge Gideon Discovered in Southern Israel

Screen%20Shot%202021-07-12%20at%208.17.05%20am.png

Earlier today it was reported that an ostracon (pottery shard with text) bearing the biblical name Yerubaal was discovered in digs in Israel. Yerubaal, of course, was the alias of the judge Gideon. The shard is dated later than his time (according to biblical dating), but nevertheless, an exciting discovery in my opinion.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It's an interesting discovery, no doubt. But as the text carefully points out there's one critical part of the finding that should be highlighted: In other words, ascribing this finding to a Biblical passage is speculation not an archeological finding.

“In view of the geographical distance between the Shephelah and the Jezreel Valley, this inscription may refer to another Jerubbaal and not the Gideon of biblical tradition, although the possibility cannot be ruled out that the jug belonged to the judge Gideon. In any event, the name Jerubbaal was evidently in common usage at the time of the biblical Judges,” explained Garfinkel and Ganor in a press release.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
It's an interesting discovery, no doubt. But as the text carefully points out there's one critical part of the finding that should be highlighted: In other words, ascribing this finding to a Biblical passage is speculation not an archeological finding.

“In view of the geographical distance between the Shephelah and the Jezreel Valley, this inscription may refer to another Jerubbaal and not the Gideon of biblical tradition, although the possibility cannot be ruled out that the jug belonged to the judge Gideon. In any event, the name Jerubbaal was evidently in common usage at the time of the biblical Judges,” explained Garfinkel and Ganor in a press release.
I didn't ascribe it to any verse.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I didn't ascribe it to any verse.
I did not claim you did. The story itself did especially the headline "The first time an inscription has surfaced bearing the name of a biblical judge" and the headline might lead some to a problematical conclusion.

My intent was to emphasize that it might just be a coincidence.