• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yajurveda rejects Atheism?!. Does it?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Yajurveda Chapter XIX (19) Verse 77, undoubtedly states:

77. God through His pure knowledge, viewing both forms hai
explained truth and falsehood. He has assigned the lack of faith to false-
hood, and faith to truth
. He alone is worthy of worship by all, who is
the Abolisher of irreligiousness, Purifier, Sustainer, Truth personified.
Path-indicator of mind, Revealer of manly vedic truth, Giver of salvation,
Adorable, and source of knowledge.
https://archive.org/stream/yajurveda029670mbp/yajurveda029670mbp_djvu.txt
Yes, Yajurveda so states. Right?
Thread opeh to the believers of revealed religions and or no-relgions.
Regards

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
RigVeda accepts it (Nasadiya Sukta - I have mentioned it many times, so I will not repeat). Advaita (non-duality) accepts it. :D Well, so also do Samkhya, Vaisesika and Purva Mimamsa philosophies.

Ralph Griffith's translation of White (Shukla) YajurVeda XIX.77 at http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/wyv/wyvbk19.htm

"Viewing both forms Prajâpati gave truth and falsehood different shapes.
Prajâpati assigned the lack of faith to falsehood, faith to truth. By Law, etc.*"

* XIX.72: By Law came truth and Indra-power, the pure bright drinking-off of juice. The power of Indra was this sweet immortal milk.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There is no rejection of anything. It is all a huge written observation of life as we know it on this planet. Rejection of stuff is part of the 'other' paradigm of good/bad, black/white, us versus them, and opposites thinking. Hindus don't view life in those terms.

(This was just the thread for today, at the rate of one per day, (his quota, I believe) until we stop answering the troll.) Some of us find it mildly entertaining.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
That is something I wanted to understand better.

What are the Devas exactly, and how wide an agreement there is on that point?

Are they even supposed to be understood in a homogeneous way?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What are the Devas exactly, and how wide an agreement there is on that point? Are they even supposed to be understood in a homogeneous way?
Gods, incharge of various functions in nature. Indra for rain (whatever may have been his function in Vedic times), Agni (fire, of five kinds, firing life), Soma (meaning shifted to moon, after leaves for Soma the drink stopped arriving in India), Surya (sun), Vayu (wind), Ashwinis (God's physicians), Vishwakarma (architect/artificer to Gods), etc. These were Aryan Gods who were relegated to the position of secondary Gods, placed in a lower heaven, basically invoked at the time of rituals and yajnas.

Vishnu acquired more power by incorporating indigenous Gods (eight of the ten 'Dashavataras', Buddha added to the list later). Rudra merged with Shiva. Sarasvati became one of the forms of Mother Goddess and associated with Brahma. These have higher located heavens. Then Ganesha, Kartikeya/Murugan, Hanuman and various other indigenous Gods, the Gods and Goddesses who are not mentioned in RigVeda but worshiped by Hindus today. Assimilation of Aryans proved beneficial to some (Gods) but loss to others.

Satyamavejayanti

Namaste,

For those not bored of this yet..

Shruddha is the word translated here as "faith", according to Nighantu (Interpretation and explanation of words from the Veda Samhitas by ancient linguists) and in general usage Shruddha has many meanings,

In Nighantu for example.

"srad-dha is (so called) on account of being based on truth (vrad)".

Commenting on this the Acharya Durga (traditional Hindu guy, so probably means nothing to those who know better then Hindus) remarks that "Srad-Dha means that intuitive attitude which one assumes towards religion and' secular and spiritual matters and which does not undergo any change.

So technically this is not meaning Faith as in unbeliever or Atheist, in this Mantra quoted by Paarsuray, the interpretation i take away is Shrudha (that which is based on truth) is established as Truth.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
LuisDantas said:
What does "Dash" mean in "Dashavatara", please?
Ten. Ten avatars.
  1. éka-
  2. dvá-
  3. trí-
  4. catúr-
  5. páñca-
  6. ṣáṣ-
  7. saptá-, sápta-
  8. aṣṭá-, áṣṭa-
  9. náva-
  10. dáśa-
Well, I don't think there was any dash in vogue in the "Vedic period". Was there a dash in vogue at that time? Please
Regards

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I don't think there was any dash in vogue in the "Vedic period". Was there a dash in vogue at that time? Please

:facepalm: If you're yanking my chain, it got lost in the translation. Or I'm that gullible. Dáśa (dasha) means 10 in Sanskrit.

And no, it does not come from Arabic.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
LuisDantas said:
What does "Dash" mean in "Dashavatara", please?

Regards
Dash, here, simply means "ten". Many Hindus believe that Lord Vishnu had ten avatars, hence "Dashavatara". One of those is believed by many to be the Buddha, although we Buddhists disagree.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Dash, here, simply means "ten". Many Hindus believe that Lord Vishnu had ten avatars, hence "Dashavatara". One of those is believed by many to be the Buddha, although we Buddhists disagree.
And of course many non-Vaishnava Hindus don't believe in avatar at all.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

In my temple, Buddha is not depicted at all on any of the sanctums of Vishnu. There is Hayagriva, Dhanvantari, Harihara, several depictions of Krishna in different forms and other avatars, incarnations and forms, but no Buddha.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Personally I think Buddha as avatar, and others to follow, is just a distortion, coming from pride of the followers. Some have put Christ there as well, and in modern days, the likes of both Sai Babas, Adi Da, Aurobindo, and several other modern day gurus. It's now no more than some honorary title. The avatar HH Sri Sri Sri Sri MahaGuru Beloved the Great _______________ (insert your guru's name here). Personally I find it bordering on silliness. Part of the reason I don't believe.