• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahweh = Hades?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Okay, I'm sure you all know the story of Lot and his wife in the Bible, Yahweh saying "Don't look back".

I remember Esgard told me something about Greek Mythology about Hades saying a guy could go to the Underworld and save his wife, but he couldn't look back, had to have faith she's there.

Connection? Obviously, there are a ton of connections throughout mythologies. But Yahweh being the Holy Creator God of Christianity is connected to Hades the Unholy Devil-Guy of Greek Mythology?

Bob Dixon

>implying
Seems quite interesting, indeed.

Perhaps you can post a link to the story, and then we will take a look.

Mythologies borrow from each other all the time, so it's not too surprising.

The "Yahweh = Hades" bit is quite a jump, though. It's just like saying that you can spread peanut butter on bread and you can spread nutella on bread as well, so there's a connection between the two. Not too valid.

Although I am interested in the story! Post!

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Connection? Obviously, there are a ton of connections throughout mythologies. But Yahweh being the Holy Creator God of Christianity is connected to Hades the Unholy Devil-Guy of Greek Mythology?
NO! Hades isn't a bad guy. He's actually pretty tame compared to the rest of his siblings. If anything, Poseidon is the Devil of Greek mythology. :facepalm:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
***Mod Post***

Thread moved to Comparative Religions.

Erebus

Well Hades controlled the underworld

Hades was a god of death and a keeper of the dead, he may have been morose and somewhat unpleasant at times, but he certainly wasn't evil. Furthermore the Underworld in its entirety isn't synonymous with the Dante-esque Christian Hell. It was Tartarus that comes closest.

As for the OP, Yahweh is in some ways an amalgamation of many different archetypes. You have his role as a god of death and the dead (Hades) God of creation (Chaos, Gaia) God of vengeance (Nemesis) sovereign god (Zeus) and many more.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Yahweh would be too difficult to compare to an Indo-European polytheistic deity IMHO. The reason being, simply, that one is monotheism, which means he controls everything according to that religion, and the myths and stories of the religions which focus on him come from the Middle East as opposed to Indo-European ones.

It would be far more beneficial to compare him to a Semitic deity, such as, say, El or Enki than it would Hades. Even then, Yahweh would share various similarities with more than one of the local deities.

Naturally, religions are going to share many myths and stories and even some similarities with one another. This does not indicate any connection, IMHO, but it says that humans are humans and will ascribe stories and characteristics to their deities for entertainment and moral lessons.

Just my opinion, anyway.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, the two stories are similar... looking back gets you punished.

The Greek myth is of Orpheus and his wife Eurydice. She was bitten by a poisonous snake and died. Orpheus was a great musician. He went to the Underworld to beg Hades to release Eurydice. Hades said no way. So Orpheus played his lyre so movingly that it moved Hades to tears. He relented and let Eurydice return to life, only on the condition that Orpheus went first, with Eurydice following. If Orpheus looked back, he would lose Eurydice forever. It was a test of Orpheus's faith in Hades word. Orpheus did look back to see if Eurydice was following, and at that instant she was called back to the Underworld. Orpheus doubted that Hades would keep his word, so he was punished. Lot's wife was punished because she looked back at what she lost and longed for... her home. Even though God told her not to look back.

strikeviperMKII

Okay, I'm sure you all know the story of Lot and his wife in the Bible, Yahweh saying "Don't look back".

I remember Esgard told me something about Greek Mythology about Hades saying a guy could go to the Underworld and save his wife, but he couldn't look back, had to have faith she's there.

That's the story of Orpheus, and it was Hades's wife, Persephone, that convinced him to even allow the deal in the first place. That's not to say Hades was evil. Jealous and greedy at times, but what Greek god isn't?

I would have to agree there is a connection between the two stories, and it shouldn't be surprising, considering how much the story of Jesus is similar, even exactly the same as the story of Horus.

Me Myself

Back to my username

Hades is not an unholy devil guy :facepalm:

In mythology he is actualy one of the most moral gods (not perfectly moral, but his only sin was kidnapping a goddess.... yeah it sucked but in his defense I couldn´t imagine an eternity without sex)

He just believes in balance and that is why if you are dead you are dead.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Hades is not an unholy devil guy :facepalm:

In mythology he is actualy one of the most moral gods (not perfectly moral, but his only sin was kidnapping a goddess.... yeah it sucked but in his defense I couldn´t imagine an eternity without sex)

He just believes in balance and that is why if you are dead you are dead.

My bad lol, I got a similar reply from Esgard on facebook lol.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
But, Odion, Yahweh can really relate to Hades in this mythical story.
I can see this to some extent, but the problem is that there are only a limited number of stories that can be ascribed to deities.

Sooner or later we are going to get similarities with deities. There are probably similarities between Hades and Japanese, Chinese or a Native American religion. :)

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Was going to start a similar thread, yet found this....So there is loads more evidence as well:
  • Yah (H3050) Hovah (H1943) = Lord of Mischeif.
  • Yeshua said, that God was the God of the living, not of the dead, therefore the Jews were in error....Zeus is God of the living, Hades is God of the dead.
  • Hades tries to create righteousness by legal punishment, and has the qualities ascribed to YHVH.
  • Within this world, there are many of the things assigned to exist within Hades...Thus if YHVH is God of this world, then we're in Hades. :eek:
  • Hades employed demons to torture people, like in Job.
Just to be clear, not saying it is a perfect match; yet that the qualities ascribed to an unconditionally loving, infinitely wise, merciful, compassionate God don't match YHVH.

Can we list anymore points even if slightly close, that might indicate this to be the case, because just on a basic look, it starts to make far more sense? :innocent:

Last edited: