• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Xem

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
Tell me if I am wrong here... (I'm still trying to learn/figure this out...)

Xem sounds like... maybe a deeper expression of xeper within the self...

it sounds like a form of high magic which is, affecting change inside to your Self...? Me thinks.

If this is the case I think that Michael Ford would have explained the pitfalls well in his book about luciferian witchcraft.

When you do this you have to deeply understand yourself and be in tune with all your elements, because if not they will manifest wildly and you spiritually rip yourself apart. Isn't that what Choronzon is?

The deeper you go into your nature, you break down walls of restraint you put up before to control those parts of your nature you reject. You break down the walls to experience and understand, and if you are not prepared when you do that, it destroys you.

Are my thoughts moving in the right direction as far as thinking Xem and it's pitfalls are similar to these things?

MisterFrost

Guardian, Order of Anubis
Greetings Valor,

I actually believe it is a combination of both. I have noticed one of the most prevalent "side effects" of Xem is megalomania to a certain degree. Your perspective becomes such that you are more acutely aware of your place and Function within the universe and many times are tempted to pound that into everyone around you - whether they asked or not. ;-)

One of the keys to the study and pursuit of Xem should and needs to be Restraint.

XiX,
Jim

I'm curious to why there seems to be such follys on the Path to such an alluring system. Is it more akin to the stresses of seeking Xem or are we talking about certain side effects associated with reaching Xem?

Valor

Greetings Valor,

I actually believe it is a combination of both. I have noticed one of the most prevalent "side effects" of Xem is megalomania to a certain degree. Your perspective becomes such that you are more acutely aware of your place and Function within the universe and many times are tempted to pound that into everyone around you - whether they asked or not. ;-)

I can see entirely how the stress of the quest can directly link to knocking someones spokes outa thier mouth.

As with most internal expeditions, especially those which induce emotional stresses. We on the Left have become more aware and attuned to our emotions than the average joe... via a conscious induced evolution?, maybe?, who knows..

Our Path promotes constant acts of brutal Self appraisal. Knocking down the mental and emotional walls around you to start the tedious process of unlearning what thoughts, feelings and behaviors society had programed into you...only to rebuild everything anew by the conscious act of remanifestation of the Self to acertain truths and applying them to contour and refine the Self ahead of the Self.

I'm going to take a swing in the dark here and call it "seeking an Objective vocation"... I think its fitting.

One of the keys to the study and pursuit of Xem should and needs to be Restraint.

Restraint is 90% emotionally fueled. Fortunately a small majority of us must not worry about following our emotions as the guy beside us often because the genuine and profficient LHP practitioner exhibits a gift (which in itself is very esoteric) that allows him to convince those unstable emotions to follow behind him... This can be furthered/accelled, by creating tolerance and frustration techniques that hinder the vice virtuos.

If i may, I have a few more questions concerning relation to the Self/s via Xem.

How is the Self related to the Self when "ahead of the Self"?

What/where is the relation: Is the future Self (ahead) looking back to effect the current Self? Or is it the entire opposite? Which Self is the infuenced Self?

Objectively, is it possible to contact either of these "seperate Selves?"

Can outside influences induce periods of Xem, or is it triggered by the Self alone?

Last edited:

MisterFrost

Self ahead of Self. That is the crux of the Quest. I think the easiest way to describe tapping into this is "omnidirectional perspective." The Self ahead self (in this case) is always there.

Before the Order of Anpu in the Temple of Set, we were the Order of the Python. The Python was a great symbol. It was powerful, slow moving and deliberate. It accessed every nuance of a situation. It was also the embodiment of Potential Energy. Sure, it may look like a lump coiled around a branch, but when it had accessed every angle of a situation, rest assured it moved quick and its goal accomplished with lightning speed. This was a great lesson for me in regards to Questing for Xem. The Grand Master was a great teacher in that respect. She didn't spoon feed you anything, more often than not, your questions to her were met with even more questions to you! She truly was Opener of the Way. So, the lesson I took from this was Potential. Then, slowly, we evolved.

The Self Ahead of Self is the Potential. It is always there, waiting for you to tap into it. It is not necessarily "looking back at you." Surely, as you stare into the Abyss, it stares into you...

In this respect, I don't believe you are "contacting" the Self Ahead of Self per se, rather, you are tapping into something that is already there. This isn't a fixed concept either. It is fluid. There's a reason we referred to it as the God with no Face.

Outside influences can certainly induce moments of Xem, much like the rest of the Process of Initiation. Of course, it is up to the Initiate to synthesize these moments and actually do something with them.

Xeper ir Xem,
Jim Johnson

If i may, I have a few more questions concerning relation to the Self/s via Xem.

How is the Self related to the Self when "ahead of the Self"?

What/where is the relation: Is the future Self (ahead) looking back to effect the current Self? Or is it the entire opposite? Which Self is the infuenced Self?

Objectively, is it possible to contact either of these "seperate Selves?"

Can outside influences induce periods of Xem, or is it triggered by the Self alone?

Last edited:

MisterFrost

Any further discussion of Xem on my part will take place on the Order of Anubis forums.

Anyone is welcome to participate in said discussions.

Xeper ir Xem,
Jim Johnson

aa_nerut

I’d like to add something to the mix here while I take a quick break from studying.
The Self ahead of the Self can be looked at in two different ways.

1) That it exists already and you are working your way towards it. This Self ahead of the Self would be preexisting of not only your bodily form, but also all events in which you are, encountering, have encountered, or will encounter.

2) That it is something in which you aspire to be, and in your own frame of reference and boundaries, create not only this image, but consecrate this image until it is a living breathing thing, i.e. you down the line. It is completely dependent upon the self as of current to stand as a benchmark for what you currently are, and then what you wish to be.

Honestly I can’t see how option 1) could be a truth, so to me, I can only see option 2) as what Xem is. So the easy way of saying it is that Xem is the desired goal of change in the self due to dissatisfaction of your current view of the self.

I personally prefer the idea taken from Eastern thought of just being in or of the moment rather than the time spent on the Self ahead of the Self. I mean if you really what there to be a change in yourself, do it now.

Of course I’m more of a fan of the idea that your Self is unfolded as life moves on and experiences new things, moment by moment, and with these moments and choices in moments this Self has many different potentials of what it could be/ends up being. These moments could have been different and the end result is something far from what you wanted in the first place, be it for better or worse. This kind of thought still to me says that option 1) is not what Xem is, and still puts Xem back in option 2).

I guess right down to the simple point of it, Xem is not just wanting to be something other (greater/better?) than your current view of Self, it is attempting to put yourself into situations and experiences that will/should bring about the changes in the Self to fall in line with the image of the Self ahead of the Self or the Xem state you created here in the preset.

Then again, option 1) could very well be the truth, which means we always exist(ed) and were just hanging around waiting for our moment to also have a body to reside in for a while, though this sounds rather foolish to me.

Ahanit

This is a really interesting Discussion

My view on Xem is not the interpretation of others but the Picture I see looking into the soul of the Word...

Xem is a great task for every one going, because of the nature of it self and it's soul:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The Words are the stars in the soul of the Aeon, and every Word has in its self also a heaven full of stars. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Xem is the Word which shows us a great black hole within the middle of the sky. A black hole is not only an all eating thing, it also spies out a great lance of Materia and energy, Transformed Energy.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The Question of going the path or not, of falling into the Black hole without way back or falling into it and coming out transformed is a great task of the Aeon of SetheS. And it is also the Task written down in myths and words of the Old Ones. The task of creation, of the Will.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]We all want to be transformed, we all want to be creators of our life but...[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Looking through Xem we are able to see all and nothing, negative, Positive, Xem does not choose our view, we choose it. When we search for positive things we will find them and invite them in our own creation, when we search negative things we find them and we invite them to manifest in our creation.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]This is the Black hole, concentrate on positive we fly without fear knowing that the Black hole is not the end, we can fly in spirals or straight forward, equal we feel that transformation will be the result.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Concentrate on the negative, we began to fear, we think about what all can happen when we do this or that, we fear the Black hole, because we know that this form will end when we are in that, there can't be an escape.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our fear brings us to a point to leave our path into the black hole and Transformation can not come into being... If we could flee the Black hole or if we are destroyed is a question of how we try to flee.[/FONT]

So the question of Xem is, are you sure you wish to understand, or is your fear about the black hole to strong...

That has nothing to do with how fare a person has walked the Path of the Aeon, or the Path of Magic in Hole. It is the Self, the power and fear which influences if we are Able to make the task Xem has for us or not.

My Opinion and my theorie ;)

Xeper m djer Chabas
Ahanit

Daelach

Setian
mh, sorry if my comment may seem inappropriate.. but from following the discussion, I conclude that Xem is only such a mysterious word because it has not been exactly defined. I mean, we could also utter something like "ucbzivnz" (just random keyboard typing), not giving any meaning to it, and enjoy that is is oh-so-mysterious, dark, dangerous, enshrouded road to ZJWTXVD (oh, that time, also the caps lock key was hit - which makes the road thereto even MORE mysterious, dark, dangerous and enshrouded.

To put it into one word: overestimated.

Valor

mh, sorry if my comment may seem inappropriate.. but from following the discussion, I conclude that Xem is only such a mysterious word because it has not been exactly defined. I mean, we could also utter something like "ucbzivnz" (just random keyboard typing), not giving any meaning to it, and enjoy that is is oh-so-mysterious, dark, dangerous, enshrouded road to ZJWTXVD (oh, that time, also the caps lock key was hit - which makes the road thereto even MORE mysterious, dark, dangerous and enshrouded.

To put it into one word: overestimated.

Lol, better over than under, right?

Valor

I believe i recently had an experience relating to Xem last night. I decided to take a long weekend in Boston, due to some friction i wont discuss. As i was stratifying the stresses in my life, just prioritizing those i think need attention. However, last night a wave came over me. At first i thought it was related to a minor head ache, but while i was focusing on the situation, i tasted something metalic, almost coppery, like when your struck by a punch/kick. I've been told its the adrenaline that leaves this taste. Anyway, i felt this wave of something flow through me while i was in the mirror asking myself questions...i had to sit for a moment. This wave brang a scent along with the metalic flavor. Odd, i know. But it was from my earliest memory of being truly happy...kind of what scotch tape smells like during christmas, just brings it all together. But this scent was from kindergarten...when i first felt a sense of sovereignty. The wave couldn't have been slower...traveling up my legs. All my worries seemed to shatter...i felt like it was almost baptistic. I felt alive, energized.

What im trying to say is that it was almost there when i needed it more than ever...something i could never induce in the past. This too was not induced, but almost as if a second ball popped out on a pin-ball machine, or a second life in some game. No stress... nothing. I thought at first the wave was a stress induced stroke...but the exact opposite!

Was this Xem related? Not sure, but it was something and that something triggered something else.

Tol

Tol
I believe i recently had an experience relating to Xem last night.

In short (Xem!) paraphrased; Xem is precise, surgical, as I interpret it. Not something loosely bandered.

"This wave brang a scent along with the metalic flavor. Odd, i know. But it was from my earliest memory of being truly happy...kind of what scotch tape smells like during christmas, just brings it all together. But this scent was from kindergarten...when i first felt a sense of sovereignty."
Plato, Realm of Forms, comes to mind. In this respect, a Deja Vu of the senses. We all carry a memory of our past possible existences, experiences, memories of Form. To that end, I would say cherish that and seek out the connections, much as one might with and well beyond Dream interpretation.

Valor

In short (Xem!) paraphrased; Xem is precise, surgical, as I interpret it. Not something loosely bandered.

Plato, Realm of Forms, comes to mind. In this respect, a Deja Vu of the senses. We all carry a memory of our past possible existences, experiences, memories of Form. To that end, I would say cherish that and seek out the connections, much as one might with and well beyond Dream interpretation.

Yes, im familiar with that publication.

Let me explain why i thought it was Xem related: i understand it can be understood as seeing the self ahead of the self. The calmness that cloaked my body couldn't have come at a more needed time. So i thought to myself, is this how i'll feel when/if i remedy anything thats hindering me now. It was the combination of both senses and foresight that led me to believe there may be some relation or residual effects. Thank you for a timely response Tol.

Last edited:

Ahanit

@Valor

Thank for sharing this... I think you can see it as path of Xem, because what would you think would be happen when you had followed the first intention of stress, instead of being cool and silent following the incoming information?

If you had following the stress you may never found this "second life".

And that is for me the picture of Xem...

Valor

@Valor

Thank for sharing this... I think you can see it as path of Xem, because what would you think would be happen when you had followed the first intention of stress, instead of being cool and silent following the incoming information?

If you had following the stress you may never found this "second life".

And that is for me the picture of Xem...

Very good ahanit. I may have blown it off as nothing if the calmness wore off and left me stressed minutes later. However it was not the case at all...like it just brushed off my shoulder. Im not, in any way, hindered by stress. It was as if it just melted... i immediately felt i was over it...ahead of my normal self...ahead of the self. Which is something im famous for, dwelling. See the dillema if its not related?

Last edited:

Tol

Tol
Yes, im familiar with that publication.

Plato, "that publication""?

Let me explain why i thought it was Xem related: i understand it can be understood as seeing the self ahead of the self.

What is this need for diminshing Xeper for understanding of such an abstract as Xem? Does not Xeper allow for seeing the self ahead of the self?

Last edited:

Ahanit

What is this need for diminshing Xeper for understanding of such an abstract as Xem? Does not Xeper allow for seeing the self ahead of the self?

can you please explain your question I think I don't get your Point..... And Google Translater does not know what "diminshing" is, nor do I have an Idea what you can mean.

Tol

Tol
can you please explain your question I think I don't get your Point..... And Google Translater does not know what "diminshing" is, nor do I have an Idea what you can mean.

Sure, Ahanit. It was a question of Xem, as opposed to Xeper.

My response was, "What is this need [to detract from the authority, reputation, or Word of] Xeper, in forsaking it with such an abstract notion as Xem? "

Let me try this again, If not understood...:shrug:

Ahanit

Ah now I get it :)

I think there is a misunderstanding about the relation of the words...

Xeper is the main word of the Aeon and it has relationsship/interaction with most if not all other words....

Why I think that what Valor told us is more Xem than Xeper is the specialty of Xem. Xem has often a part of being an Examiner. Like Set was Examiner of the truth strength of the Pharaos.

In My picture I described it as a Black Hohle...

That means Xem gives us an Emotion, A Shock, a Fear or something else what is able to bring us away from the path, who feeds our deepest voices who are against the thing we are doing actually...

It is our Test to go through this Phase and not following the voices...

That is what happen to Valor, he had this odd feeling, and if he had followed he would never found this "second Life" this transformation of the odd feeling to something he really needed.

Xeper is not an Examiner, it is the Path through the self, we have to choose which doors we want to open and where e want to go. We have to look into the self and find out if and how we want to change us and the enviroment we life in.

Xem is in this Process the word who Examin us, if that what we have done is real, if we are Strong enough, if our change our transformation is deep, so that we can through all tests without panic... You can also say it is the word of becoming disenchanted. If you betray yourself you will fail in the moment of Xem.

Valor

Plato, "that publication""?

What is this need for diminshing Xeper for understanding of such an abstracpt as Xem? Does not Xeper allow for seeing the self ahead of the self?

Plato has a few publications (works) where he speaks on "forms of consciousness". I have a few here where he elaborates on the known conscious opposed to the "theory of conscious" from an idealistic view not materialistic. Understand?

Now, your views on diminishing Xeper in order to regognize Xem are wrong. However for me, if i was not in a place to recognize my coming into being, i wouldn't be able identify Xem. Im still having a tough time deciphering exacts. But i am positive in knowing that this is different for everyone, and what i experienced was valid. What may be valid for me might not work for you.

May i ask why you left the Temple Tol?

xemset

The error most Initiates make thinking about RKB's Xem is that it's about the idea of focus, and 'self ahead of self'. While both are valid Magical ideas, and are Worked *within* Xem Work, these are only Tools RKB used to teach and Work with. Those who Worked face to face with RKB know this.

Xem is a 'place' just as Egypt is a place.

'Xeper ir Xem' as RKB defined it is: Become of the Gods.

Xem is a place, and its about 'Becoming of the Gods' which is about these Gods interacting, or Working face to face.

If you are Working with RKB's Xem you know you can't do it alone. That is what XemSet was all about, literally a place where Working face to face with others who were Working Xem Work 'could' occur. The secrete to Xem Work is in why **this is still so today**. If you can't answer why this is so in two words everyone can understand you have yet to find out what Xem Work is really about.

There are real dangers Working Xem magic. The biggest is delusion, or as RKB referred to it as 'the Illusion of grandeur'
He used to laugh about the Initiates he knew would follow him thinking they had become Magi or even Masters of the Temple after a 'Xem' experience. Its heady stuff, and if you aren't grounded you'll 'go off', as is evidenced by all those who have.

And here's the key to prevent this from happening:
RKB knew, as all Initiates should know magicians make steps through 'stages' of personal development. Each of these steps are definable by those who have experienced them. One who has, can Recognize another who has. One who hasn't can't clearly articulate it because its not part of *their* experience. This is how one can keep delusion at bay, by simply avoiding the Illusion of Grandeur.

Everything about Xem Work and the Understanding that comes from Xem Work is definable and can be clearly articulated.

If its not definable its non-sense. One does not Become a Magi without first having the 'Crossing the Abyss' experience and then separately attaining the Understand of a Master of the Temple. Both of these steps require YEARS of solid definable Work and include various definable 'stages' of personal development. One doesn't jump these stages of development, and thinking they have only tells others they have no Understanding about the definable steps of human evolution. These steps have been well defined for a very long time and for just as long 'jumpers' have talked in vague occult language while 'those who have' speak in clear concise language anyone can grasp.

Anyone who has worked with the Enochian Keys or the Word of Set might have what might be called an 'odd' experience. Do these make you a Magi? A Master of the Temple? No, but it does give you something to Work with. Is it about the experience it self or is there something behind the experience? If you look beyond the experience you'll find the real lesson and it has nothing to do with the odd experience.

Does having Knowledge and Conversation with the Holy Guardian Angel make you a Magi? A Master of the Temple? No. It does give you a Tool you can use, and with guidance you can develop your self through the various stages of human development.

Delusion has always been, and will always be the weakness of Magicians.
This is in part why 'occults' have often been given a bad rap.

I'm adding this to the thread to dispel the nonsensical vagaries of something that is clearly definable, and to give those who follow something to hang onto *if* the Xem Door opens and everything gets wonky.

Xeper ir Xem

XemSet