• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wyrd bið ful aræd.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Popular saying among Heathens, taken from the Anglo-Saxon poem "The Wanderer." It's frequently translated as "Wyrd remains fully inexorable", and sometimes as "One cannot fight Wyrd." (Wyrd is kind of in between the wholly fatalistic "fate", and the easily changeable "destiny.")

However... while it seems others are satisfied with these, I'm not.

My problem is that I can't find anything on the word "aræd"! How did it get translated as "inexorable"? What's its etymology? Where does this bloody word come from and how does anyone know what it means?

Anyone have any ideas?

GoodbyeDave

Sweet renders aræd as "inexorable", Michael Alexander as "set fast". I assume that they connect the word with rædan "advise", but also "agree on, decree". Bruce Mitchell says of the prefix ā- "sometimes it seems to have no effect on the meaning". Typical barbarians — I'll stick to Greek!

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Sweet renders aræd as "inexorable", Michael Alexander as "set fast". I assume that they connect the word with rædan "advise", but also "agree on, decree". Bruce Mitchell says of the prefix ā- "sometimes it seems to have no effect on the meaning".

Hm... according to Wiktionary, the prefix "ā" functions to form "words with the sense from, away, off, out". Such as the "a" in Modern English "arise" (rise from). If the word being connected with is "rædan", as you suggest (Modern English's words "read" and "rede"), then it kind of does seem to function... I mean, conviction comes from interpreting certain things, which is kind of related to advice, agreements, etc; and the Old English word apparently did sometimes refer to reading ("interpreting letters.") And Wyrd is connected to Runes. So I guess being "aræd" may have been meant to imply steadfastness derived from being wise/well-learned or well-advised...

But I'm pretty sure Old English had plenty of words that could more clearly convey such ideas.

Argh, none of this is helped by the fact that any "standardized spelling" at the time would have been loose at best, so it's entirely possible that whoever wrote down the poem misspelled a word. And looking at the original manuscript...
Wanderer-Exeter-Book-first-page-Bernard-Muir.jpg

Wow, that's pretty. And it does seem like there's a clue, but it kinda would mean I may have noticed something that professionals completely missed, which I find unlikely, but I'll say it anyway just in case. (For anyone following along, the word "wyrd" in the phrase is the last word in the third line, spelled with the letter wynn.) Looking at the way the scribe writes the letters "a", "e", "r", and "æ", it almost looks like the word is being spelled "ared", not "aræd." According to the Bosworth-Toller Anglo-Saxon Dictionary, "arēd" means "council", and is a variant spelling on "arǣd". And that implies that the phrase is supposed to mean "Wyrd is wholly ... " uh... arēd/arǣd in this context is a noun. No wonder the entry on "ārǣd" in the BT dictionary (defined as "resolute") has a question mark. http://www.bosworthtoller.com/038874

Then again, maybe the unaccented "a" in "arǣd" is a different prefix altogether, and that the accented one in "ārǣd" is meant to imply the result of good council, i.e., steadfastness in judgment...

Argh! Arǣd bið ful dyrne, that's for bloody sure...

Typical barbarians — I'll stick to Greek!

:p

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
Last edited:

Riverwolf

Premium Member

Native

Thanks, that does shed light on the matter. That word doesn't appear in Wiktionary, which is one of my primary sources for these matters.
I also tryed the vord "ræda" = To investigate/analyze/discuss
http://islex.lexis.hi.is/islex/se?ord=33950&dict=SE&samleit=rædan&nlo=1&nlj=1&fuzz=1&mal=SE

"Wyrd" – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyrd
The cognate term in Old Norse is urðr, with a similar meaning, but also personalized as one of the Norns, Urðr (anglicized as Urd) and appearing in the name of the holy well Urðarbrunnr in Norse mythology.

Which sentence do you then get in connection with "wyrd"?

Riverwolf

Premium Member

Yeah, that's kind of what I was finding earlier.

Unfortunately I don't really speak or read any of the other Germanic languages, so I can only parse together a few bits from those websites specifically.

"Wyrd" – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyrd

Which sentence do you then get in connection with "wyrd"?

The other well-known saying that invovles Wyrd is the one that Beowulf declares after his Boast to kill Grendel: Gæð a wyrd swa hio sceal*. (Goeth ay Weird so She shall.)

Wyrd/Weird is a Web, that Web which connects all things, and woven by Weaver, whom I unorthodoxically conceptualize as a spider.

The connection the Web has to the Well at the base of the World Tree isn't something I've yet rebuilt.

*The original text in Beowulf spells this word as "scel", but every source that I can find indicates that this was supposed to be spelled "sceal", being the ancestor of the word "shall", and the scribe as already been shown to make some pretty ... embarrasing, shall we say? mistakes. (Such as accidentally naming Scyld's son as "Beowulf", which is wrong; Scyld's son is Beowa, Barleycorn.)

Native

The other well-known saying that invovles Wyrd is the one that Beowulf declares after his Boast to kill Grendel: Gæð a wyrd swa hio sceal*. (Goeth ay Weird so She shall.)
What are your definitions of "Grendel" and "his mother"?

Riverwolf

Premium Member
What are your definitions of "Grendel" and "his mother"?

"Definitions"? I'm not sure what you mean, nor am I sure what the relevance here is.

The Beowulf manuscript is part of a wider piece of work that's sort of an encyclopedia of various monsters, hence the inclusion of this popular monster story. Beowulf is not one of the quintessential Hero Lays in our wider Lore, it's just the one that got lucky in the Anglo-Saxon Lores. It does reference one of the quintessential lays, though: that of King Shield. And it gets a lot of that story wrong. LOL Beowulf has a lot of historical value, and it's a really entertaining story, but in its day, it was probably less Lord of the Rings, and more Transformers. I'd caution against trying to find any hidden symbolisms in there; they'd most likely be accidents.

Last edited:

Native

"Definitions"? I'm not sure what you mean, nor am I sure what the relevance here is.
My fault :oops: My English vocabulary is somewhat limited. I meant: What do these characters represents, in your opinion?

Anyway, your answer confirmed most of my own perception of the Beowulf story :)

Riverwolf

Premium Member
My fault :oops: My English vocabulary is somewhat limited. I meant: What do these characters represents, in your opinion?

Uh... just monsters? Because the monk who wrote this version down had a fascination with monster stories?

I'm still not sure what the relevance is. Beowulf declaring "gǣð ā wyrd swā hīo sceal" is basically him just shouting "YOLO!"

Anyway, your answer confirmed most of my own perception of the Beowulf story :)

XD I actually suggest not to jump to confirmation, but keep it to reinforcement. I'm not a scholar. Trust the words of scholars before mine.