• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrong translations of Gurbani

Satnaam

Conquer your mind
In this topic I'll post wrong translations of Gurbani on known sites and correct them (or post other translations) to the best of my ability. You are free to do so too or ask questions about certain verses. Common things include the discussion about 'sochai soch na hovaee', the God incarnation verses etc.

Lets start with a Shabad that is used so often by some people on here:

ਮੁਸਲਮਾਣੁ ਕਹਾਵਣੁ ਮੁਸਕਲੁ ਜਾ ਹੋਇ ਤਾ ਮੁਸਲਮਾਣੁ ਕਹਾਵੈ ॥ ਅਵਲਿ ਅਉਲਿ ਦੀਨੁ ਕਰਿ ਮਿਠਾ ਮਸਕਲ ਮਾਨਾ ਮਾਲੁ ਮੁਸਾਵੈ ॥ ਹੋਇ ਮੁਸਲਿਮੁ ਦੀਨ ਮੁਹਾਣੈ ਮਰਣ ਜੀਵਣ ਕਾ ਭਰਮੁ ਚੁਕਾਵੈ ॥ ਰਬ ਕੀ ਰਜਾਇ ਮੰਨੇ ਸਿਰ ਉਪਰਿ ਕਰਤਾ ਮੰਨੇ ਆਪੁ ਗਵਾਵੈ ॥ ਤਉ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਰਬ ਜੀਆ ਮਿਹਰੰਮਤਿ ਹੋਇ ਤ ਮੁਸਲਮਾਣੁ ਕਹਾਵੈ ॥੧॥

It is difficult to be called a Muslim; if one is truly a Muslim, then he may be called one. First, let him savor the religion of the Prophet as sweet; then, let his pride of his possessions be scraped away. Becoming a true Muslim, a disciple of the faith of Mohammed, let him put aside the delusion of death and life. As he submits to God's Will, and surrenders to the Creator, he is rid of selfishness and conceit. And when, O Nanak, he is merciful to all beings, only then shall he be called a Muslim. ||1||

^^ Very wrong translation. Deen in Gurbani nowhere refers to Islam, so translating it as 'the faith of Muhammad or religion of the Prophet' is wrong especially as Muhammad is not even mentioned in the lines. Muslim in Gurbani is redefined and used in the sense of 'someone who submits to Waheguru'.

This is the actual translation:

It is difficult to be called a Muslim; if one can become a true Muslim (by surrendering completely to the Will of Waheguru), only then he may be called one. First requirement to become a true Muslim is to love the Dharam (religion) i.e. truth. Then cleanse the mind by sharing the wealth with poor and needy. This way false pride of possessions of worldly wealth goes away.

It nowhere says to recite the Kalimah, Quranic verses do Hajj so how can they be talking of Islam?

Be free to post more Shabads you don't understand or for discussion purposes.

chinu

chinu
In this topic I'll post wrong translations of Gurbani on known sites and correct them (or post other translations) to the best of my ability. You are free to do so too or ask questions about certain verses..
I don't think that anyone is free to do so too, Do you ? Satnaam. :)

Satnaam

Conquer your mind
Yes, you can post translations you think are wrong, or are proven wrong by methodology or gurbani grammar/voc analysis.