• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Write a Koan!

finalfrogo

A koan is defined as a puzzling, often paradoxical statement or story, used in Zen Buddhism as an aid to meditation and a means of gaining spiritual awakening. Some simple examples of koans that you may be familiar with are:

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make sound?

What did you look like before your ancestors were born? :confused:

Try writing your own... Can others answer it without their brains imploding? :bonk:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
If fear is being afraid of the unknown, what is fear of being afraid?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
"If it hadn't been for the horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
I have to give credit Lewis Black.

Master Vigil

When my taoist master started teaching me about chi, this was my first task...

Put your right hand infront of you palm towards your stomach. Now put your left hand behind you, palm towards your back. Now clap your hands without moving them around your body, or touching your stomach. :D

That was my first lesson in energy work.

But as for a zen koan, I always liked...

When you drop something, does it fall downwards? Or are you the one upside down?

finalfrogo

But I would say both, because the two individual pieces would still fit the definition of a crumb, therefore they would each be a separate crumb. However, since you DID divide a crumb into two in order to create the two individual pieces, they would be half of that original crumb, and therefore they would each be half a crumb. I love exercising my brain like this!