• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wow! What do you all think of this?.......

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2164006,00.html
World News
grey.gif
trans.gif

The TimesMay 04, 2006
Drug tourism fear as Mexico lifts ban on pot, heroin and cocaine

From James Hider in Mexico City and Tim Reid in Washington
trans.gif
TO THE alarm of its northern neighbour, Mexico is to decriminalise the possession of nearly every drug — hard and soft — that the US has battled for decades to keep off its territory.
President Fox is to sign legislation that will make Mexico one of the most permissive countries in the world when it comes to narcotics.
NI_MPU('middle');Users will be able to possess up to five grams of marijuana (the equivalent of about four joints), five grams of opium, 25 milligrams of heroin and 500 milligrams of cocaine — enough for a few lines.
Nor will they be prosecuted for possessing a few tabs of Ecstasy, small quantities of amphetamines or magic mushrooms, or even a kilo of so-called indigenous drugs such as the hallucinogenic peyote, a psychotropic cactus still used in shamanic rituals.
The Mexican Government says the legislation will allow the authorities to concentrate on fighting the violent drugs gangs that have turned several cities into war zones. But the Bush Administration fears it will encourage thousands of young Americans to head south as “drugs tourists”.
Cities such as Cancún, Tijuana and Acapulco are favourite destinations for US students seeking a good time in the sun.
A White House official said that American representatives met their Mexican counterparts this week to express opposition to the Bill.
“They urged Mexican leaders to review the legislation and to avoid the perception that drug use would be tolerated in Mexico to prevent drug tourism,” he told The Times. Asked to elaborate, he added: “Look at Amsterdam. You’re British. You know what we mean.”
Jerry Sanders, Mayor of San Diego, which is close to the frontier, said he was appalled by the Bill. “I certainly think we are going to see more drugs available in the United States,” he said. “We need to register every protest the American Government can muster.”
The legislation was approved by the Senate last week, and Rubén Aguilar, Señor Fox’s spokesman, insisted: “The President is going to sign that law. There will be no objection. It appears to be a good law and an advance in combating narcotics trafficking.”
While the new law will prevent jail terms for those caught possessing the stipulated amounts, local prosecutors may still be able to fine users under regional legislation, or even hold them for 48 hours in police cells.
Selling drugs will remain illegal. The Bill will stiffen penalties for trafficking and possession of even small quantities of drugs by government employees or near schools. Powers to hunt down drug traffickers will be extended from federal to local police.
Señor Aguilar said that the rules would clarify the rights of drugs users, whose fate has until now been settled by courts on a case-by-case basis.
“The Government believes that this law represents progress, because it established the minimum quantities that a citizen can carry for personal use,” he said.
Eduardo Medina-Mora, Mexico’s Public Safety Minister, emphasised that “possession of small amounts of drugs does not require a penal sanction”, and said that the laws would help Mexico’s battle against the cartels, whose struggles for control of trafficking routes have spread in the past year from the violent border towns of the north to the south, including the resort Acapulco.
The drugs wars have cost hundreds of lives and become increasingly gruesome. Last month two police officers from a rapid reaction force in Acapulco were decapitated by suspected drug gang members, and their severed heads left outside a government office with a note saying “Show some respect”. In the border town of Nuevo Laredo, the entire police force was relieved of duty last summer and federal troops sent in after gangs fought battles in the streets.
While Mexico argues that penalising petty drugs users is counter-productive in the war on the multibillion-dollar narcotics trade, its US allies in that war are less sanguine.
Sue Rusche, president of National Families in Action, said: “Lots of folks — especially kids — go down to Mexico for holidays and now they will have access to drugs.
“I am puzzled as to how the Mexican Government thinks it will decrease sales of drugs with these measures.”
Traditionally, Mexicans have used far fewer drugs than their American counterparts, and have blamed the US for fuelling cross-border demand of narcotics produced in Colombia and in Mexico itself.
But the recent habit of the two main Mexican smuggling gangs — the Sinaloa and Gulf cartels — of paying their traffickers and gunmen in drugs has led to a sharp increase in domestic consumption, as gang members sell their “fees” on the open market. A BIG AND BRUTAL BUSINESS
The Mexican drug trade is carved up by four big cartels along geographical lines: Gulf, Sinaloa, Tijuana and Juárez
Under the Fox Government more than 700 police officers have been arrested for offences ranging from taking bribes to drug-related kidnapping and murder

In the same period 36,000 drug traffickers have been arrested

In the past 18 months more than 1,000 people have died fighting over the Mexican drug trade

Mexico produces about 10,000 tons of marijuana a year
Since the mid-1990s, Colombian groups have paid Mexican cartels to ship their cocaine into the US

Two thirds of the cocaine smuggled into America now crosses the Mexican border
82 per cent of all steroids seized in the US originated in Mexico

My thoughts? you won't catch me going there! and, I can honestly say that I am delighted that my Son James (who was due to go out there soon to do a one year teaching job) has decided to turn down the post in favour of other opportunities!!!
icon9.gif

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Interesting. I know you can go over the border and find pharmacies with a doctor there that will prescribe anything you want. They hand you a piece of paper with the drugs available and the cost plus $20 for the doctor. Been there, done that. :eek:

evearael

Interesting. I know you can go over the border and find pharmacies with a doctor there that will prescribe anything you want.
The problem is that there is no guarantee that you are actually getting the correct medication and the correct dosage. There is a huge market for fake and homemade drugs. Consider Coumadin's (generic Warfarin Sodium) active ingredient is essentially rat poison, you can guess what the consequences are for an incorrect dose.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Wow Michel.....thanks for the article. That is scary indeed. To be able to acquire heroin that easily is very worrisome. A kid could go on a trip to Mexico, (like my son Justin did for high school graduation) be offered heroin legally on the streets, and then after being there for a week, come home addicted. URg! I'm thankful we have a very open relationship and I can't imagine that happening...but there are other kids who will take up the offers....or go looking for it to try.

I think it's really idiotic to legalize opium, cocaine and heroin. Makes me shudder.

gnomon

I'm more concerned with the overreactions of Americans. We already have a serious question of immigration with the nation of Mexico the last thing we need is for some hysterics about a wave of drug-toting Mexicans entering the country (which is actually one of the basis for the original acts of legislation against marijuana) and perhaps an increase in law enforcement activities against our own citizens. They have ruined enough lives as it is.

The law does very little, apparently, for the side of civil liberties. This whole concept of giving relatively minor possession a pass while going after the traffickers is ridiculous. In essence, the situation will not change at all and those of you who continue to support this insane drug war should not be too worried. If anything, it looks like they are adopting an attitude some states in the U.S. have towards not bothering people with petty amounts of narcotics, marijuana or other illict substances while maintaining a militarized police force against anyone suspected of dealing, irregardless of amount. Its a grand illusion.

And don't worry, your kids can still go to Cancun or Baja to get stinking drunk off their face. So legal and state promoted drug use targeting minors will live on.

So overall, who gives a **** about this non-starter of a law.