• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wow, I just ordered a new computer!!!!!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Yippeeee! I have just placed a deal for a new computer!! I am so excited!

Dell Dimension XPS 210, Viiv Core2 Duo E^400 Processor (2.13 Ghz),
320 Gig SATA hard drive, 2048Mb 667Mhz DDR2 memory
7.1 Dolby Digical card, USB Digital TV with remote, Xp media O/S,
3 Year next day breakdown service; 19" Ultra sharp flat panel.........:trampo::bounce:clap2::biglaugh:

(My poor old Sony Vaio AMD Athlon 1.88 Mhz computer regularly freezes; it burned through the fist mainboard within 11 months, and runs permanently too hot - I had to stuff blue tack into the piezzo alarm because it is on 75% of the time..........

Rough_ER

I have a dimension and it works great, ALL of the time. You will certainly enjoy using the computer, I'm sure of it.

PureX

Veteran Member
Normally, I would jump onto a thread like this with both feet, and shout WHY DIDN'T YOU BUY A MAC???. But as I am currently having trouble with my little over one year old iMac, and Apple is being of little use in helping me respolve it, I am no longer the MacManiac that I once was.

So you are spared.

Enjoy your new PC.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Way cool Michel...\

I just bought a new laptop this past January and I LOVE it. Sony Vaio TX series It's so lite (less than 3 pounds wigh charger) and tiny (11.1 inches) and I can go ANYWHERE with it. :D

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Scuba Pete said:
Way cool Michel...\

I just bought a new laptop this past January and I LOVE it. Sony Vaio TX series It's so lite (less than 3 pounds wigh charger) and tiny (11.1 inches) and I can go ANYWHERE with it. :D

even underwater?:p

lizskid

BANNED
Cool, Michel! It's always fun to open a new system....and sometimes not so fun to switch what you want over....but enjoy!!! You will be like lightning pretty soon!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Congratulations Michel. I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with your new baby.

PureX said:
Normally, I would jump onto a thread like this with both feet, and shout WHY DIDN'T YOU BUY A MAC???. But as I am currently having trouble with my little over one year old iMac, and Apple is being of little use in helping me resolve it, I am no longer the MacManiac that I once was.
I don't mean to rub salt in your wounds PureX, but this is a real Achilles Heel for Apple products. When I was an Apple dealer at the dawn of the PowerMac era, it was a bit dicey from time to time getting any help out of Apple. To be fair, we also had problems with Commodore and Atari as well. The fact was that both companies were insolvent long before they went belly up. They were not real helpful either, but for different reasons. They simply were unable to produce parts whereas Apple usually demanded what we or the end-user had done to their perfect product. It was pretty much denial from the get-go.

PureX

Veteran Member
YmirGF said:
Congratulations Michel. I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with your new baby.

I don't mean to rub salt in your wounds PureX, but this is a real Achilles Heel for Apple products. When I was an Apple dealer at the dawn of the PowerMac era, it was a bit dicey from time to time getting any help out of Apple. To be fair, we also had problems with Commodore and Atari as well. The fact was that both companies were insolvent long before they went belly up. They were not real helpful either, but for different reasons. They simply were unable to produce parts whereas Apple usually demanded what we or the end-user had done to their perfect product. It was pretty much denial from the get-go.
Now days they seem to want to nickel and dime us to death. Their computers are already expensive, yet if you want any kind of real warrantee, you have to pay extra. If you call their service people, who aren't all that good, they make you pay them for their time on the phone. If you have to have it fixed, they want you to take to one of their stores, but the nearest store to me is 90 miles away. And the real topper was that they insisted I have to make an appointment at the nearest Apple Store, to bring it in to be repaired, but they insisted that I must make the appointment the SAME DAY, AND ON LINE!

First of all, I couldn't get on line because the computer wouldn't work, and secondly, they wanted me to make an appointment, and then drive for two hours to the store, wait there for it to be fixed (what if they have to order a part or something?) and then drive two hours home. And of course I'll be paying through the nose for all of this "service".

I have since got the thing working, but it keeps crashing periodically, and usually I can only get it back up by starting it without the extensions on. I've tried wiping the drive and reinstalling the OS, as well as resetting the hardware programming (according to how they say to do this) and nothing has helped. I think a screw up by my phone company caused my DSL line to get crossed with someone else's fax line, and the barrage of digital information corrupted some hardware code in my computer. But I have no idea what to do about it, and all Apple seems to be interested in is more money and pretending their computer stores are fancy hair salons or something. It's shame. I love Macs, or at least have until now, and I've used PCs at work for years, so it's not like I haven't tried them both.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Mike182 said:
have fun Michel, when does it arrive?

Expected due 6th March)( (A late birthday present for myself) Well, it's not really a toy, as I told my wife, it was more of a "necessity" for RF and for the newsletters........hehe.....she didn't fall for that one though; I did have to "work on her a bit" though for the sanction.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
michel said:
Expected due 6th March)( (A late birthday present for myself) Well, it's not really a toy, as I told my wife, it was more of a "necessity" for RF and for the newsletters........hehe.....she didn't fall for that one though; I did have to "work on her a bit" though for the sanction.

when is the next addition of the newsletter coming out?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Mike182 said:
when is the next addition of the newsletter coming out?

1St March............ I am going for the 1st of every month; so the one that is coming out soon will be on the "old machine" that's tied up with string and tape.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Errr um..............it has arrived! I am shaking from head to foot (I have been like that all my life), when I get excited, I get the shakes.

I am somewhat awed by the new monster (though very compact); I now have to work out my wiring (which will probably take me a day to do in itself):cover:

If I don't re-surface tomorrow, you know I am knee deep in manuals. When I saw the main manual (about 1 Cm thick) I said (knowlingly) to my wife "Oh, I guess there's only a few pages in English; the rest will be in every other language - wrong! O.K here goes, signing off and out. See you when I make it back on line.