• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would You Worship an Indifferent God?

Would you worship a perfectly indifferent deity?

• Total voters
Would you worship a deity that was completely indifferent to you or anyone else except in one way, and in one way only -- the deity desires to be worshiped by you? That is, a deity that was utterly apathetic to human wishes, desires, wants, needs, etc, but still wants to be worshiped?

Put differently, what do you expect, if anything, from a deity before you would be willing to worship it? And why?

Please note: For the purposes of discussion, "to worship" can be defined as, "to show reverence and adoration for a deity; honor with religious rites; glorify or exalt." If you prefer another definition, please specify in your post.

That really depends on the actions it takes and what I would get for worshiping it. It could be indifferent but take little action to cause suffering or it could cause large amounts of suffering for its own reasons. If it's perfectly indifferent, I don't get the satisfaction of knowing the higher power I worship cares about me, make my life better, or help me in any way. Unless I got something else out of the deal it would seem the relationship is pretty one sided.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
That really depends on the actions it takes and what I would get for worshiping it. It could be indifferent but take little action to cause suffering or it could cause large amounts of suffering for its own reasons. If it's perfectly indifferent, I don't get the satisfaction of knowing the higher power I worship cares about me, make my life better, or help me in any way. Unless I got something else out of the deal it would seem the relationship is pretty one sided.

It is one sided...for now.
Death will show you something else.

I'm sure of it.