• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would You Worship an Indifferent God?

Would you worship a perfectly indifferent deity?

• Total voters

Contemplative Cat

energy formation
Genuine God would be alone sufficient. God doesn't need (or care) about worship God would just want general goodness and happiness. If you can even call such a grand thought a thought. More like instinct.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Nope, because having confidence that your life will turn out for the best (1) does not necessarily mean it will, and (2) the best does not necessarily imply for the good, and (3) the best does not necessarily mean in a way that one expects.

OK, fair enough. In other words, I guess, you're attributing a general sense of optimism or groundedness merely from having faith that God exists and cares about you. Which I would certainly concur with.

Bismillah

Submit
I suppose it would depend on the relation of the deity between him and us.

If, for example, it was the Creator and we were the creation then yes, I would worship him. Simply being because we were created for that purpose.

I think it really depends on how you try to reconcile this indifference with the one exception of wanting you to worship. Why to worship? Is it a transformative process by which you become closer to God, to achieve your purpose of creation? Is this process one sided or does the act of worship also include then the attention of God?

Is God indifferent only to those who do not worship him and to worship him is to become closer to him?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
OK, fair enough. In other words, I guess, you're attributing a general sense of optimism or groundedness merely from having faith that God exists and cares about you. Which I would certainly concur with.

It's my observation that some people feel that way, yes.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Did the Deity create anything I need to survive or have any say in creating me?

If the Deity is responsible for my life either directly or indirectly then the deity deserves my respect and possibly some worship, especially if the deity can end my life.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I think this (by Rumi) is relevant

[FONT=&quot]“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” [/FONT]

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think this (by Rumi) is relevant

Which would seem to raise the question, Stephen: Would it be plausible for a god to offer itself as an "object of worship" in order to provide humans with a means of overcoming the barriers they have erected to unconditional love? Wouldn't that be a way in which a perfectly indifferent deity (except for its desire to be worshiped) could be legitimately described as "loving", "compassionate", "merciful"?

I suppose Rumi might say, "yes".

Last edited:

Erebus

I suppose going off your definition of worship in the OP I do in fact worship various indifferent gods. Death and various associated deities can be pretty uncaring for example.
The difference is that to my mind they don't care about worship either. The desire to be worshipped is a good indicator of a very small and petty god in my eyes.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Which would seem to raise the question, Stephen: Would it be plausible for a god to offer itself as an "object of worship" in order to provide humans with a means of overcoming the barriers they have erected to unconditional love?

I suppose Rumi might say, "yes".

Of course I don't have an answer fully worked out because my journey is ongoing and I am in the realm of feelings not knowledge.
However: I've said before that when I speak of God it seems I am speaking of myself. I believe that there is something of the eternal in all of us. This mysterious depth I believe is an aspect of God. Thus it seems plausible to me that my mind would conceive of God in these terms in order that my mind would make itself transparent to myself. If I could know myself I believe that, in so far as a given perspective can, I would know God.
My answer is yes.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Forgot to include in my last post. My contemplations, such as they are, are very much informed by this:
In the ancient days, when the first quiver of speech came to my lips, I ascended the holy mountain and spoke unto God, saying, 'Master, I am thy slave. Thy hidden will is my law and I shall obey thee for ever more.'

But God made no answer, and like a mighty tempest passed away.

And after a thousand years I ascended the holy mountain and again spoke unto God, saying, 'Creator, I am thy creation. Out of clay hast thou fashioned me and to thee I owe mine all.'

And God made no answer, but like a thousand swift wings passed away.

And after a thousand years I climbed the holy mountain and spoke unto God again, saying, 'Father, I am thy son. In pity and love thou hast given me birth, and through love and worship I shall inherit thy kingdom.'

And God made no answer, and like the mist that veils the distant hills he passed away.

And after a thousand years I climbed the sacred mountain and again spoke unto God, saying, 'My God, my aim and my fulfilment; I am thy yesterday and thou art my tomorrow. I am thy root in the earth and thou art my flower in the sky, and together we grow before the face of the sun.'

Then God leaned over me, and in my ears whispered words of sweetness, and even as the sea that enfoldeth a brook that runneth down to her, he enfolded me.

And when I descended to the valleys and the plains, God was there also.

Khalil Gibran

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Before I would worship a deity

1. I have to know that I am utterly worthless.
2. I have to know that he is capable of torturing me and making existence a living nightmare, and willing to do so.
3. I have to know that there is no chance for me to cease existing.

1. I don't believe in deity that casts away worthwhile things.
2. Any worthwhile deity would neither torture or require worship.
3. If you want me to be a slave you are going to have make it worse than death that never comes.

So, if you were to worship a deity, you'd pretty much choose to approach that deity like a fundamentalist preacher approaches a prostitute? That is, more or less in shame and fear combined with an over-riding sense of need? :D

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I suppose that depends on the consequences of not worshipping. If the deity doesn't care about me, it would be hard for me to be convinced that it is inherently good. As powerful as it may be, I don't see why a cold, uncaring being should deserve worship.

Suppose the deity's desire that you worship it was it's means of offering you a path to overcoming all the obstacles you have erected to unconditional love -- that is, to bliss. Would that not make the deity "merciful", "compassionate", and "loving"? And would that not be for you are reason to worship it?

Quirkybird

I don't believe anyone or anything should be worshipped that includes a deity. People or entities who expect to be worshipped have something wrong with their psyche

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Whatever benefits it has seem mostly of a psychological nature. The worshiper gains, say, confidence that their life will turn out for the best.

I suppose that's a fair assessment from an external point of view, but I can't say I worship my gods because of the supposed psychological benefits I receive any more than I would send out thank you notes to stroke my own ego. :shrug:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Would you worship a deity that was completely indifferent to you or anyone else except in one way, and in one way only -- the deity desires to be worshiped by you? That is, a deity that was utterly apathetic to human wishes, desires, wants, needs, etc, but still wants to be worshiped?

Put differently, what do you expect, if anything, from a deity before you would be willing to worship it? And why?

Please note: For the purposes of discussion, "to worship" can be defined as, "to show reverence and adoration for a deity; honor with religious rites; glorify or exalt." If you prefer another definition, please specify in your post.

I have heard that God is no respecter of persons.
I suspect the servants are the same way.

So...as we stand from the flesh, the angels come to see what came of the dust.

I further suspect, they will be indifferent.

One third of heaven fell for an argument over something that looks like us.
They want us dead.

Two thirds of heaven lost their brothers over an argument for something that looks like us.
They would be tolerant that a talking monkey would stand where the brothers once stood?

I won't assume approval.
I anticipate apathy.

Saving grace?........

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
So, if you were to worship a deity, you'd pretty much choose to approach that deity like a fundamentalist preacher approaches a prostitute? That is, more or less in shame and fear combined with an over-riding sense of need? :D

LOL if you wish to take it that way be my guest. The question is under what circumstances I would worship a deity that had absolutly nothing to offer except it's own desire for adoration.

I can think of no reason to oblige such a worthless entity other than my own abandonment.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
A perfectly indifferent deity denotes classical deism. No worship is required or desired by said deity.

Parsimony

Suppose the deity's desire that you worship it was it's means of offering you a path to overcoming all the obstacles you have erected to unconditional love -- that is, to bliss. Would that not make the deity "merciful", "compassionate", and "loving"? And would that not be for you are reason to worship it?
If the deity is willing to offer such things to me, then it doesn't sound like it's all that indifferent towards my existence in the first place.