1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you want to start over?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Epic Beard Man, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Kangaroo Feathers

Kangaroo Feathers Hardline moderate

Ratings:
    +6,410
    Religion:
    Catholic
    The Simpsons addressed this in one of the early Treehouse of Horror episodes.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Greased up & ready for action!
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +41,322
    Religion:
    Bokononism
    A reset would be a great opportunity for people skilled in more basic & primitive technologies.
    I know many who mine fossil fuels, in run primitive engines, farm, blacksmith, etc. They'd
    have a competitive advantage over modern people skilled only at video games, TV watching,
    selling extended warranties, hunting, & blathering away on the internet. These people would
    just die off, leaving the world to be ruled by preppers & antique machinery collectors.

#42 Revoltingest, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,954
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    Good points. We've bred ourselves into a precarious situation, dependent on a byzantine network of regulations, support systems, trade relations as well as complex, high-tech systems to grow our food and maintain our living standards.
    There's not a lot of slack in the system. We're living at the cutting edge; beyond the carrying capacities of the regions we inhabit. Any disruption can throw things into serious disarray.

Clearly we can't all go back to hunting and gathering, but we can take steps to gradually decrease our population to a level more in line with carrying capacity.

4. ADigitalArtist

ADigitalArtist Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,166
    Religion:
    Irreligious Agnostic Atheistic Apatheist
    How isn't this expanding on the scenario? If the question is 'would humans band together and make the world a better place without modern technology' my answer is no and my post is why.

5. Epic Beard Man

Epic Beard Man Bearded Philosopher

Ratings:
    +3,257
    Religion:
    Agnostic-Monotheist
    Alright we've been through this before:

terminator_0_0.jpg

6. Epic Beard Man

Ratings:
    +3,257
    Religion:
    Agnostic-Monotheist
    You'd have to see the movie I don't want to spoil it for you but towards the end of the movie yes part of my hypothetical scenario did occur.

7. Epic Beard Man

Ratings:
    +3,257
    Religion:
    Agnostic-Monotheist
    You made two scenarios from my scenario.

8. Epic Beard Man

Ratings:
    +3,257
    Religion:
    Agnostic-Monotheist
    Ok.

9. ADigitalArtist

Ratings:
    +7,166
    Religion:
    Can you elaborate for me? I think removing modern day technology would have devastating effects akin to a disaster scenario where most people will die and many people will turn ugly. Not considering that impact in the scenario is like that Battlestar Galactica illustration, where we get a fade to black before considering the impact of those consequences.

If that's not related to what you're asking then what are you asking?

10. Epic Beard Man

Ratings:
    +3,257
    Religion:
    Agnostic-Monotheist
    You had two sci fi scenarios that threw me off is why I made that emoji. I think humanity would do fine but yes a lot of us would die I don't quite call the figure 90% but yes a lot of us would die.

11. ADigitalArtist

Ratings:
    +7,166
    Religion:
    Honestly I think I ended up having four scenarios by the time I was done. Lol
    So you're a scenario 4 Thanos kind of guy you would say?

12. Brickjectivity

Brickjectivity Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,697
    Religion:
    Liberal Christian
    I meant no disrespect and was serious.

The tendency to presume new technology is 'Evil' is an old one, Aristotelian and Egyptian. It often indicates a fear of change rather than an identified real problem. In the West its champion is the soldier CS Lewis who having survived WW1 identified all technology as evil and spent his life creating theological arguments against it. We all have that kind of reaction sometimes, but we can't have the knife without also having its edge. We couldn't chop our onions. Should we go back to biting straight into them? No, but that is the kind of change you are suggesting.

13. MJ Bailey

MJ Bailey Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Religion:
    All of them in one way or another
    If you consider that every person is a slave to themselves in one way or another. Every person in any situation will have their own experience and feelings of how events occurred, therefore creating their own judgements. This in my opinion deletes the necessities of an overlord. As far as a need to prove natures flexibilities, evolution occurs rather or not we want it to or not. To explain myself further, if we choose to not change something detrimental would make us ignorant to the idea and truth behind "things change" rather or not that change is acceptable to anyone's liking or disliking. I totally agree with the idea that some people are in dire need of changing their nature (murders, molesters, rapist, etc.) but as a whole there is no way to stop things from changing unless there is a unification between people as a whole. When evolution of species occurs on earth, the entire species usually evolves although this can be regionally selective.

14. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Crazy Diamond

Ratings:
    +17,611
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    We've always had our systems, agriculture methods, regulations, norms - our technology has changed but we really haven't changed that much. Ultimately, even still 200,000 years later we still depend on each other for our survival, and due to our evolution as social animals we are lost and hopeless without the order and group cohesion that culture and society gives us. Take it away and suddenly we can't even communicate with each other. The Code of Hammurabi, the Hellenic Greeks, imperialist Romans, Polynesian, First Nations, UN, everywhere is dictated by how food is grown, social regulations (which includes everything from interpersonal conduct to trade), and our relation to others and the environment.

15. Shad

Shad Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +3,079
    Religion:
    Theological noncognitivist
    Greetings! Got any gasoline by chance?