• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you want to know when you would die

We Never Know

No Slack
From living forever to....

If you could find out when and how you would die,(a gods plans) would you want to know?

I really don't know. Probably not....
On one hand you could do many things you wanted without worries.
On the other hand you would become anxious as the time neared.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
No. It would make me think "I still have time" assuming planning will let me take for granted for life's uncertainties. I "think" I have a pretty good idea of what I may die of only insofar based on day to day activities that may catch up with me if not paying attention.

Last edited:

Jeremiah Ames

If you could find out when and how you would die,(a gods plans) would you want to know?

I’m wondering if one was told when they were scheduled to die, if that might change the outcome?

If someone told me today, for sure I would live to be 99, I’m thinking the outcome might change.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

I'm torn between yes and no.

But my father-in-law was dying with that knowledge that the end was close He first was anxious and then the day he died his last words were "I'm ready now". A friend decided that she had done everything she could in this life and seemingly willed her death.

Jeremiah Ames

I'm torn between yes and no.

But my father-in-law was dying with that knowledge that the end was close He first was anxious and then the day he died his last words were "I'm ready now". A friend decided that she had done everything she could in this life and seemingly willed her death.
I think physical death has a lot to do with the mind, in some cases

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

I can think of some advantages to knowing.
  • You can manage your death, visit friends, make a will or go into debt
  • You can exhibit courage or cowardice
  • People may want to hear you talk about your encroaching end.
  • You can try to cheat death by arranging to befoul the predicted mechanism that kills.
  • You can have scientists attempt to prevent your death...as an experiment testing your paranormal claim of future knowlexge
  • Up until the time of your death you can consider yourself invincible and do lots of dangerous things without dying. This could lead to a rewarding career.
  • You can fake your death before you die any number if times, such that when you really are dead people will doubt your final disposition. They might think its just another prank.
  • You can make a monument to yourself, dedicate a buiding, donate to charity etc.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Yeah, if it were a god’s plans, ostensibly I would know there’s a god and presumably an afterlife. So what would the big deal be?

I’d love to be able to get affairs in order, see everybody I want to see, etc.

We Never Know

No Slack
Yeah, if it were a god’s plans, ostensibly I would know there’s a god and presumably an afterlife. So what would the big deal be?

I’d love to be able to get affairs in order, see everybody I want to see, etc.

I put "a gods plan" because it would have to be something/someone that could know our future to predict how and when we would die.

To my knowledge that type of knowledge doesn't exist in our world.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I put "a gods plan" because it would have to be something/someone that could know our future to predict how and when we would die.

To my knowledge that type of knowledge doesn't exist in our world.

Hmm. Well, knowledge of afterlife or not, I think I'd be okay with knowing. I'd have anxiety in the time leading up for sure, but I think I'd appreciate knowing to set affairs in order, see people, make sure I've said everything I want to say, and so on. Maybe get raucously drunk the day of.