• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you want a law enforcement activated kill switch on your car?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Readers React: How 'kill switches' and police drones could cut back on car chases

Only in the People's Republic of California. I can definitely see something like this coming to the People's Republic of New York.

Yeah, it would cut down on police car chases. That would be a good thing.

I see this as more a means of forced control though in spite of the benefits for which a lot darker uses can come from something like this. And maybe not limited to just cars either.

Readers React: How 'kill switches' and police drones could cut back on car chases

It seems Europe was on the bandwagon too only 6 years ago back in 2014 .....

Every new car in Europe may be fitted with a police-controlled kill switch - Geek.com

I got a feeling the subject will surface again in due time.

Are people comfortable with this?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Only in the People's Republic of California. I can definitely see something like this coming to the People's Republic of New York.

I see this as more a means of forced control though in spite of the benefits for which a lot darker uses can come from something like this. And maybe not limited to just cars either.

Every new car in Europe may be fitted with a police-controlled kill switch - Geek.com

Well, if the police have the ability to use kill switches, then what if there's some glitch which kills all the cars? Or maybe some hacker could use it to cause mischief. Someone could activate the kill switches in all the police cars and then chaos would follow.

exchemist

Veteran Member

I’ve a feeling the serious crooks will be able to jump the kill switch. But it could be useful to stop car thieves joyriding and similar casual car-based crime.

The flip side will be the risk of oppressive policing. This will need serious public debate to make sure if introduced it is with consent of the public.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Well, if the police have the ability to use kill switches, then what if there's some glitch which kills all the cars? Or maybe some hacker could use it to cause mischief. Someone could activate the kill switches in all the police cars and then chaos would follow.
This.

Not only do I not trust the police that much, I don't trust the technology. My phone is only a few months old and it's got little, inexplicable, problems.

Imagine driving a 12y/o car that malfunctions because of a glitch in the computer. The vehicle is fully functioning, but some microscopic problem with the kill switch leaves a mother and three kids stranded at night while the temperature is plummeting.

No, I don't want such a thing in a car. They're bad enough as it is with power windows and such nonsense.
Tom

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It would make the game Watchdogs and Watchdogs 2 eerily prophetic.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
The kill switch looks useful.
But I've a suspicion that there'll be downsides too.

Such as you may be rushing someone to a hospital in an emergency and the police could misconstrue your intentions with out even thinking.

Milton Platt

Wouldn't mind it if it was an "opt in" feature. It would be cool to know that if my car was stolen, the cops could stop the engine and locate the thief.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Wouldn't mind it if it was an "opt in" feature. It would be cool to know that if my car was stolen, the cops could stop the engine and locate the thief.
My partner used to have a hot schiete Firebird.
It had a factory installed ignition interlock security system.

When someone tried to steal it, they did around $1200 damage to the steering column before fleeing the scene without the car. That was 20 years ago, I wonder how expensive the damage would be if a hacker tried to jack a car and were willing to trash the electronic systems to do so.
Tom

Milton Platt

My partner used to have a hot schiete Firebird.
It had a factory installed ignition interlock security system.

When someone tried to steal it, they did around $1200 damage to the steering column before fleeing the scene without the car. That was 20 years ago, I wonder how expensive the damage would be if a hacker tried to jack a car and were willing to trash the electronic systems to do so.
Tom

Yeah, I remember someone stole the tee-tops off of a Firebird in the apartment complex where I lived many years ago. Took about 20 seconds.
Being able to disable a car while it is being driven is a whole other animal, tho. If a thief was driving and it stopped in the middle of a public road, it is unlikely he would hang around to strip the car.

PureX

Veteran Member
Point 1: I find it sad that all we're asked to consider here is how we "feel" about it. As if our feelings are the sole criteria for all civil decision-making.

Point 2: Once we have lost control of our own government, as we clearly have here in the U.S., we can no longer trust that any form of social control, technological or otherwise, will not be used against us. And in fact, it almost certainly would be. For example, as the government is increasingly becoming the enablers and enforcers of corporate greed, it could decide to "punish" people behind on their payments (to some corporate entity) by turning off heir vehicles. A few well-placed bribes to any state legislature in the country and this would become law in a heartbeat. I'm actually surprised that our driver's licenses are not already being used in this manner.

Ideally the police being able to 'switch off' a vehicle who's driver is endangering other drivers is a good thing. But only if it's purpose stays within those parameters. But right now our government is hopelessly corrupted by corporate lobbying money that the use of such technology would almost certainly be expanded to punish or extort citizens.

Last edited: