• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you sue a transgender person for using the bathroom?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Virgina Republican Bob Marshall has proposed a new bill HB 1612 that is much like the N.Carolina bill HB 2. The proposed Virginian bill would make it illegal for any person to use a bathroom that does not correlate to the gender listed on their birth certificate. But the bill also specifically allows you to sue any individual who does so.

I find this typical of Republicans, delicate little flower who want to sue over the potential of having their delicate little feelings hurt by the mere encounter with anyone that is in anyway different. I find it difficult to express just how disgusting I think this is.

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?171+ful+HB1612

buddhist

Virgina Republican Bob Marshall has proposed a new bill HB 1612 that is much like the N.Carolina bill HB 2. The proposed Virginian bill would make it illegal for any person to use a bathroom that does not correlate to the gender listed on their birth certificate. But the bill also specifically allows you to sue any individual who does so.

I find this typical of Republicans, delicate little flower who want to sue over the potential of having their delicate little feelings hurt by the mere encounter with anyone that is in anyway different. I find it difficult to express just how disgusting I think this is.

:eek:

Horrid authoritarianism. And no, I wouldn't sue.

esmith

Veteran Member
I look at this way if someone want to sue someone that's their right. However, I would mandate that if one does sue and loses they have to pay all legal cost of the defendant. This mandate would apply to all parties, including the government in any and all suits. I would also allow plaintiffs to require lawyers to also be equally accountable for all cost.

Scott C.

Just one guy
As long as the quick stop urinals are not eliminated in the name of equality or privacy, I don't care who uses the restroom when I'm in there. But I'm a man who feels no threat. In our efforts to make sure that people can use the restroom of their choice, we should not dismiss or belittle the reasonable discomfort of the masses.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I wouldn't sue. I am sure many transgender who have physically transitioned outwardly as well will not scream their biological sex when walking into a woman's or man's bathroom.

Given our culture, I'd find it inappropriate for a transgender who dresses of his biological sex (whatever that means these days) and goes into a woman's bathroom only because of public reaction. I don't agree with suing that person; and, I do find many people have common sense.

For example, if I dressed like a dude and decided to go into a male's bathroom, my gender identity wouldn't excuse me from being in a restroom inappropriate to my actual biological gender. If they believed I was a dude, unless I screamed I was a female, I don't see a moral problem with it. A legal one, most definitely.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
As long as the quick stop urinals are not eliminated in the name of equality or privacy, I don't care who uses the restroom when I'm in there. But I'm a man who feels no threat. In our efforts to make sure that people can use the restroom of their choice, we should not dismiss or belittle the reasonable discomfort of the masses.
But I have no problem with dismissing or belittling unreasonable discomfort. We all feel uncomfortable around other people sometimes. But that does not mean that our discomfort is reasonable. And the fear of transgender people using the bathroom that you might be in is absolutely irrational and I think that must be dismissed and belittled. Otherwise, how will we ever get over this nonsense?

Flankerl

As far as I am aware Americans will sue anyone for anything.

Probably even for not using the bathroom.

edit: Grammar

Last edited:

tytlyf

Not Religious
Some people get their feelings hurt and are sensitive when they see someone that doesn't look normal. They'll sue too. Have there been any cases yet where children were raped in the bathroom since the law passed?

Gotta scare em to sway their opinion.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Just to note, it is not uncommon that a senator or representative will propose or support a goofy bill only to garner favor from his goofy constituents. Of course this doesn't mean such a bill will fail to get passed. Goofy and unreasonable will always be alive and well in the USA.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
For example, if I dressed like a dude and decided to go into a male's bathroom, my gender identity wouldn't excuse me from being in a restroom inappropriate to my actual biological gender. If they believed I was a dude, unless I screamed I was a female, I don't see a moral problem with it. A legal one, most definitely.
If you actually were to make yourself look convincingly like a male, then going into the women's washroom like that would make people uncomfortable. And if you looked convincingly like a male then going into the men's would cause no problem.

Scott C.

Just one guy
But I have no problem with dismissing or belittling unreasonable discomfort. We all feel uncomfortable around other people sometimes. But that does not mean that our discomfort is reasonable. And the fear of transgender people using the bathroom that you might be in is absolutely irrational and I think that must be dismissed and belittled. Otherwise, how will we ever get over this nonsense?

It depends what's specifically being proposed.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If you actually were to make yourself look convincingly like a male, then going into the women's washroom like that would make people uncomfortable. And if you looked convincingly like a male then going into the men's would cause no problem.

Basically.

It's a legal and discriminatory issue too. Some decisions were brought on by women being rapped by men in bathrooms. Other decisions, of course, are strictly religious in nature. They finally have "family" bathrooms; and surprisingly, after accidentally walking into a men's bathroom, they actually have a infant table pull out as finally they believe men can carry their child into the restroom to change their diapers just as women can.

Also, you can see it like my, as an American, going into a Muslim country and telling Muslims because I am American, I don't need to wear a Burka. While I am and do identify as an American, I also believe in following the laws in given places I go to. So, many tourist do have to wear Burkas regardless if they are American or Muslim woman.

I wish marriage in the Church was between any two people; but, I can't change the Bible even if I believed in it. So, it's one of those things in our legal system we have to accept until someone finally looks at statistics and find that not all men want to rape people and not all people are christians.

Morally, I don't see an issue with it. We are adults. Legally, I do.

Scott C.

Just one guy
What does it depend on?

Suppose we waived our hands and all public restrooms were now open to anyone, period, without making any new physical accommodations to those restrooms. So, the urinals stay in place and the men are standing there doing their business. A woman walks in, has to walk past the men, hopes she doesn't see anything and goes to her stall. She feels uncomfortable and embarrassed that she had to walk past the men. Now, she's further uncomfortable that she's sitting on the toilet doing her business, with men standing around outside. This is reasonable discomfort and a woman should be able to use a restroom for women only. That's just one example. There are other scenarios. So, it depends.

buddhist

Suppose we waived our hands and all public restrooms were now open to anyone, period, without making any new physical accommodations to those restrooms. So, the urinals stay in place and the men are standing there doing their business. A woman walks in, has to walk past the men, hopes she doesn't see anything and goes to her stall. She feels uncomfortable and embarrassed that she had to walk past the men. Now, she's further uncomfortable that she's sitting on the toilet doing her business, with men standing around outside. This is reasonable discomfort and a woman should be able to use a restroom for women only. That's just one example. There are other scenarios. So, it depends.
What about the men who are uncomfortable around other men? Or, boys who are uncomfortable around men? Or girls who are uncomfortable around women? Or women who are uncomfortable around other women?