• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you stop believing in God?

Jeremiah Ames

But you would agree that the aliens being much more advanced than us, must have been created in the image of God, meaning knowing good from evil, or that they at least got it from somewhere, which could potentially be as powerful as God or at least be able to challenge him in what is good or evil, if they didn't get it from him?

Well, in my belief, God is above all and creator of all. His creation, to me, fits into all the knowledge we possess. I think God could be considered the supreme scientist, since he would be the creator of all the laws of science we have discovered to date, as well as those not yet discovered.
And the aliens could not challenge God’s omnipotence any more than we could.
But another possibility in my mind, is that there could be alien worlds without the knowledge of good and evil, at this particular moment. But even so, they would need to get the knowledge eventually. I believe that people on earth did not possess that knowledge for some time.
But all that is just me and my opinions.

Nimos

But another possibility in my mind, is that there could be alien worlds without the knowledge of good and evil, at this particular moment.
I think its an interesting thought, would it be possible for an alien race to achieve a high level of technological advancement without any concept of good and evil? or would they succumb to war and eventually their own destruction as they would never really knowing when to stop fighting?

I would expect them to be able to collaborate in some way or another, unless they were sort of organized like ants, so you had a queen with highly developed cognitive abilities and the rest simply workers caring out her ideas as slaves. Guess sort of like Starship troopers, but technological advanced. But would such civilization be able to develop such technology and survive in the long run?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
What do you mean "worlds without number"?
I mean so many worlds that they are beyond our ability to count. I'm saying more or less "the number of grains of sand on the seashore," in other words, LOTS. I'm not saying they are in our solar system or even in our galaxy. I just believe they're somewhere in the universe.

Shad

Veteran Member
1. How would that make you feel about God, would it make you feel less "special" as to why these aliens seems to have been created along time before us and that now the whole human race survival depends on these aliens intentions?

No as the logic does not hold out. Being more technologically advance does not mean something is older than humans. Look at human history for example as per (re)discovery of the New World. Europeans created a form of travel that their counterparts never thought of. They had full steel armor, steel weapons andgun-powder weapons while their counter-parts didn't. Cortez and his 500 men shattered an empire to it's core just with steel and gun-powder. The Europeans were not "older" humans so their technological edge has nothing to do with age of the group. Europeans had an advantage due to location. Same as the Chinese. Same as those along a West to East line of climate and environment which is roughly similar. This is why specific areas in the Old World had major empires form for millennia while other areas only had recent developments along such lines.

Now if the religion claims humans are the only intelligent life then the religious is obviously refuted. One can leave a religion that false without losing a belief in God. Deism for example has no holdup regarding this issue at it says nothing about the uniqueness of humans as being a universal special case

2. If it turned out through some advance technology that these aliens were able to speak any Earth language and you asked them about God and they told you that they had never heard or observed anything like that, in their travels around the universe, would that in anyway change your views?

I believe logic is a universal language so I doubt aliens would not have knowledge of a prime mover or unmoved mover arguments and first cause arguments.

3. Would it surprise you that there are no mentions of aliens in the bible and now they were suddenly here and why God would not have prepared humanity for this encounter?

No. I already dismissed the Bible is an authentic source of God based communication.

Nimos

No as the logic does not hold out. Being more technologically advance does not mean something is older than humans.
I agree that technology does not solely decide whether something is older than something else. And the example you give is good, but I don't think it would deliver a reasonable answer in this case. But would allow to offer some other arguments for what you are saying that might be true, that I think would give a better explanation.

Why I think your comparison doesn't hold is, because we are not comparing the same species. But separate ones developing on different planets, but where I think we can compare these are whether the gap of technology within a species allow for such a huge difference in technology that there would be, between easily travelling around the universe and not.

So if we use your example, which I agree with is true. But were we differ in the comparison, is because we are not talking about same species. The Europeans as they traveled to the new world, spread technology there, eventually leading to the new world reaching the same standard as they had, so the gap were closed.

No on Earth we have the Sentinelese people:
The Sentinelese, also known as the Sentineli and the North Sentinel Islanders, are an indigenous people who inhabit North Sentinel Island in the Bay of Bengal in India. .... Because of their complete isolation, nearly nothing is known about the Sentinelese language, which is therefore unclassified.

They are an extremely primitive hunter gather society, however even comparing to them, wouldn't influence how humans as a whole have developed and the progress and time needed to reach that level of advancement.

Because even if the aliens have similar primitive cultures on their planet, they are not the ones coming here and doesn't decide their required progress either.

So what to me at least could be an argument for how fast a species can progress is determined by how fast they develop intelligence and how fast they replace superstition with science. If we assume that the alien are younger than us, lets say 100000 years old, but already after just 1000 years invented or discovered science as the primary way of understand the world in which they live. They would have a roughly 199000 years head start, depending on how old we say homo sapiens are. So that could explain why more advance doesn't necessarily requires them to be older.

Again anyone able to travel through the universe as they like, can be assumed to have the ability to develop weapons equally potent, and them being up there in orbit and we down here stuck on Earth would leave us few chances of defending ourselves.

Ok, and because I believe in God, I can also believe that God would protect from the aliens, if necessary. That is why I don’t think all would depend on their intentions.

And yes, I think Jesus and God has done special things for people.

...ETs doesn't really fit the description of being divine or holy, at least how I see it. So I wouldn't call ETs angles or devils either, because I think it would be hard to classify them as such.

I understand, without any good information, it is difficult to say. I think “ETs” are “demons” and they are extra dimensional beings that will fake they are “aliens” and it will work because media will indoctrinate people to believe in “aliens”. And I think one of them will pretend to be Messiah.