• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you stop believing in God?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
No. I already accept that there's bound to be life on other planets and I'm not a Christian or someone who views the Bible as sacred, anyway. I would not be surprised that they would not have heard of my gods.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Obviously it doesn't matter if you don't think humans aren't special at all and you agree that we share a common ancestor with other apes. Then I would agree.

I think human's are special, but that doesn't mean that there aren't other special beings out there. Special to me means unique. It doesn't mean ideal or superior.

But yes... I certainly do agree with the science of evolution.

if you believe in the bible at least, that some alien being either received or ate from the tree of knowledge,

I think what you're describing would challenge a person's belief in the bible depending on what that belief entails.

For me, (this is probably a radical point of view, I don't know)

Just because it wasn't in the bible, doesn't mean it didn't happen. It just means that it isn't specifically relevant to a simple understanding of the history of the Jewish people's relationship with God.

That means that aliens are not excluded from the realm of possibilities. But that they aren't relevant to the telling the story of how the Jewish people became a nation, received the law, and all the trials and tribulations that occurred after the Mt. Sinai event.

That's why, for me, there's not much that could happen that would change my belief in God. But new facts come to light about the history. Sure, I adjust my understanding of what happened historically.

Aliens can have knowledge without the "tree of knowledge". Why not? they're not on earth. I don't know. Maybe it sounds silly. It's OK. I'm having a good day today. :)

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
Because I separate "Believe in God" and "Believe in the Bible" into two categories, and I reject one of those things.
This isn't about the Bible.

Let's say you are Bruce Wayne and you love and trust your dad Thomas Wayne and one day after you become Batman you find a letter address to you from your long dead beloved father Thomas Wayne telling you that in his youth he made a mistake and boinked the maid and from that mistake came a baby boy whom your father denounced, you learn the name of your half-brother and track him down only to discover that your long lost brother is The Joker! Wouldn't that shake your faith and devotion to your father Thomas Wayne.

Nimos

Aliens can have knowledge without the "tree of knowledge". Why not? they're not on earth. I don't know. Maybe it sounds silly. It's OK. I'm having a good day today. :)
But according to the bible, human became like God when they knew good from evil. So at least one would have to say that either God gave it to the aliens or knowing good from evil, is apparently something that can happen through some other natural way. God is everywhere, so Earth should be of no importance, besides of us being here I guess.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Because why didn't God tell us if he knew? That would be an important piece of information to hold back on

I don't think this problem exists so much if you are Panthiest and believe in God. It does if you are a Bible fundamentalist and believe in God, however. Because in your worldview, there's a chance you see God as conveying truth through Scripture.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Lets imagine that some aliens entered the solar system, who obviously would be much more technological advanced than us and were currently in orbit around Earth and us being unaware of their intentions.

1. How would that make you feel about God, would it make you feel less "special" as to why these aliens seems to have been created along time before us and that now the whole human race survival depends on these aliens intentions?

2. If it turned out through some advance technology that these aliens were able to speak any Earth language and you asked them about God and they told you that they had never heard or observed anything like that, in their travels around the universe, would that in anyway change your views?

3. Would it surprise you that there are no mentions of aliens in the bible and now they were suddenly here and why God would not have prepared humanity for this encounter?
Well, I was Raelian for like 8 years, believing the Aliens were God, but I don't believe in those Aliens anymore.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
For the first, it would change nothing. If by "God" you mean to limit consideration to the god-concept of the Abrahamic religions, it would change nothing because I do not worship that god. If by "God" you mean to include all other theologies including my own, it would still change nothing. The gods are not an instrument of human hubris in polytheism.

For the second, it would change nothing as well. If by "God" we again mean to limit consideration to the Abrahamic variety, I frankly wouldn't ask them about that because that isn't my culture. If I asked them about my gods and they told me they somehow hadn't observed them, I would assume there's been a failure of communication just like I do with atheists. In any case, it would hardly change my views. Why should it? This is kind of like asking why someone doesn't abandon their culture and way of life just because they learn about a new one. That's kind of silly.

For the third I don't care. The Bible is no sacred text of mine and I do not ground my life in it.
Well that's certainly interesting...you seem to be saying that no matter what new information you receive, you would not change what you believe. That's certainly not a thing that I could assert with any confidence!

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
If the OP doesn't mind if I introduce some deeper questions:

You die in a car accident. You wake up remembering your very last moments and awake in another realm with no one around but an attractive alien woman named Namantha.

You: "Where am I?"

Namantha: "I created the universe. Or rather, I created the simulation you were in."

She picks up a pebble, and turns it into a hot meal for you to eat.

Question 1: Do you believe her statements?

--

After you've known her for awhile, you and her have actually engaged in a romantic relationship. You see her as honest in every way.

Suddenly you meet someone else, a rabbit. The rabbit says, "If you destroy Namantha... I will show you this is all an illusion."

Question 2: Do you follow the rabbit's advice?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
If they start exterminating or enslaving us I think it would be very relevant to the question of whether God exist or not
why didn't God tell us if he knew? That would be an important piece of information to hold back on
OK, here's an example of something that would shake my belief in God.

Let's say that tomorrow, the world is perfected. All wars cease, people universally decide to be nice to each other. Food production is perfected. All illnesses are cured. Each and every person is able to discern precisely what their individual nutritional needs are, and they are able to perfectly supply those needs...

Perfection. The entire world's ecology, economy, politics, beliefs are all in balance with no suffering. No one and nothing is excluded from this.

with me so far?

Then... aliens come and zap the whole planet nothing survives; there is only suffering and then death.

OK... that would be a bit of a shake-up for my belief in God. But until there is some sort of balance, something approaching perfection, I think a cosmic do-ever is possible and it doesn't refute the existence of God. Is God benevolent in this circumstance? Not so much. But I'm still not certain about that. I hope that God is benevolent. But I certainly don't have proof of that. That's why an extreme hypothetical that includes tremendous never-ending suffering doesn't effect my belief in God.

I do have a lot of confidence in people, though. And I think that is affecting my answer somewhat.

Your example was: "Aliens came and enslaved us all." As long as people are still alive, I believe there would be a chance to throw off the shackles of enslavement. That confidence... yes, that would be shaken in the circumstance you described. But it doesn't affect my belief in God.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Well angels aren't from earth. If "aliens" come and tell you anything against the Bible it's because they're liars. And I believe it will happen soon enough. The Bible doesn't say that if it were possible even the elect would be deceived for nothing. The deception that is coming is going to be great.
Central to what you've written is simply this: what the Bible says is true, and all evidence that says it ain't must be lies.

In my opinion, thinking should require something just a little more robust...

The Reverend Bob

OK, here's an example of something that would shake my belief in God.

Let's say that tomorrow, the world is perfected. All wars cease, people universally decide to be nice to each other. Food production is perfected. All illnesses are cured. Each and every person is able to discern precisely what their individual nutritional needs are, and they are able to perfectly supply those needs...

Perfection. The entire world's ecology, economy, politics, beliefs are all in balance with no suffering. No one and nothing is excluded from this.

with me so far?

Then... aliens come and zap the whole planet nothing survives; there is only suffering and then death.

OK... that would be a bit of a shake-up for my belief in God. But until there is some sort of balance, something approaching perfection, I think a cosmic do-ever is possible and it doesn't refute the existence of God. Is God benevolent in this circumstance? Not so much. But I'm still not certain about that. I hope that God is benevolent. But I certainly don't have proof of that. That's why an extreme hypothetical that includes tremendous never-ending suffering doesn't effect my belief in God.

I do have a lot of confidence in people, though. And I think that is affecting my answer somewhat.

Your example was: "Aliens came and enslaved us all." As long as people are still alive, I believe there would be a chance to throw off the shackles of enslavement. That confidence... yes, that would be shaken in the circumstance you described. But it doesn't affect my belief in God.

Go see my Batman analogy here:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Go see my Batman analogy here:

OH... well.... Bruce Wayne has issues. Everyone knows that.

So... I'm trying to come up with a parallel example replacing Bruce with me and Thomas Wayne with God... ummmmmmm

It's tricky, because God would need to come to me and tell me that God had made a mistake somewhere and ... ya know... it kinda goes round and round in circles. How do i know it's God that's talking to me.

I don't anthropomorphize God. So the minute God comes to tell me anything, I'm seeking psychiatric help :)

The Reverend Bob

OH... well.... Bruce Wayne has issues. Everyone knows that.

So... I'm trying to come up with a parallel example replacing Bruce with me and Thomas Wayne with God... ummmmmmm

It's tricky, because God would need to come to me and tell me that God had made a mistake somewhere and ... ya know... it kinda goes round and round in circles. How do i know it's God that's talking to me.

I don't anthropomorphize God. So the minute God comes to tell me anything, I'm seeking psychiatric help :)
So if your dad kept from you that your brother is the Joker, you wouldn't be a little shaken?