• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would You Save Jesus?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
If you traveled back into time, and God gave you the ability to alter the past but it was up to you what to do with it, and you saw the crucifixion, would you have stepped in and saved Jesus from being crucified, knowing the result would be you being fully responsible for your own sins and no savior involved, as well as the result being you prevented your God/Non-God Savior from suffering?

If you would, you're probably the most selfless person I'd know, because it'd be harder to get into heaven. If you wouldn't, could you say that you truly put Jesus before yourself?

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
If you traveled back into time, and God gave you the ability to alter the past but it was up to you what to do with it, and you saw the crucifixion, would you have stepped in and saved Jesus from being crucified, knowing the result would be you being fully responsible for your own sins and no savior involved, as well as the result being you prevented your God/Non-God Savior from suffering?

If you would, you're probably the most selfless person I'd know, because it'd be harder to get into heaven. If you wouldn't, could you say that you truly put Jesus before yourself?

I personally don't think Jesus died on the cross so there would be no point in saving him.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

I wouldn't save Him, because I don't believe it would do anyone any good. I believe that without His Atonement, we would not even rise from the dead. In other words, our having to pay the price for our own sins would be a moot point, since death would be the end.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I wouldn't save Him, because I don't believe it would do anyone any good. I believe that without His Atonement, we would not even rise from the dead. In other words, our having to pay the price for our own sins would be a moot point, since death would be the end.

So is resurrection more desirable than Jesus's pleasure?

Draupadi

As a Christian I would be confused. Should I intervene in God's plan or save my Lord? I may be wrong but Christ's crucifixion doesn't mean you can keep on committing sins and still go to heaven. It is more like salvation from the Original Sin and an individual's past ones.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

O.k., so pretend I'm Christian, pretend I can travel in time, pretend I can predict what I would....sorry, too much pretending for me to answer the question.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
O.k., so pretend I'm Christian, pretend I can travel in time, pretend I can predict what I would....sorry, too much pretending for me to answer the question.

Don't worry. You are forgiven for your shortcoming.

Levite

Higher and Higher

Since I don't believe in Original Sin, salvation, or the value of Jesus' suffering, it is easy for me to say, yes, I would certainly go back and save Jesus-- the same as I would save any of the other innocent Jews the Romans killed in those days.

InChrist

Free4ever

If I had the ability, I may have attempted to prevent Jesus' from being crucified, but I am sure He would have rebuked me and not allowed any such thinking to continue just as He did with Peter...

And He began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again. He spoke this word openly. Then Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him. But when He had turned around and looked at His disciples, He rebuked Peter, saying, “Get behind Me, Satan! For you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men.” Mark 8:31-33

DMC@3

No, nobody should try to save Jesus. If he doesn't die for us, the kingdom of heaven is never opened! Jesus warns us as much about this very topic in Matthew 16: 21-23. Peter tries to talk him out of dying for us and Jesus has some VERY harsh words for him.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

You didn't specify that this question was directed only towards Christians, so as someone who believes I am responsible for myself, regardless of whether or not Jesus died on the cross, yes I would try to save him.

It is kind of ironic that non-Christians would be more likely to try to save this man than would those who worship him. But it makes sense.

Huey09

He who struggles with God
Yes I would save him. But I have too many other questions. Is he on the cross when I get there? When I save him what next? Do I fight off an entire roman guard with guns? Do I get revered as messiah for doing what zealot thought a messiah should do? Could jesus heal himself? If not were do I take a most likely crippled man to hide? Lastly would he get mad and say I wrecked everything? Because I have low self esteem as it is :p

outhouse

Atheistically
Yes I would save him. But I have too many other questions. Is he on the cross when I get there? When I save him what next? Do I fight off an entire roman guard with guns? Do I get revered as messiah for doing what zealot thought a messiah should do? Could jesus heal himself? If not were do I take a most likely crippled man to hide? Lastly would he get mad and say I wrecked everything? Because I have low self esteem as it is :p

You would be scareed to death, anywhere near him, or the temple.

For us to witness the Passover crowds and the barabaric people, and actions would be terrifying even with a gun.

We would not be prepared for the stench.

Also take note, we do not know how the arrest or any event surrounding his death went down. We dont have any sort of an accurate historical desription to even begin where to look.

One would not find a galilean peasant teacher in a crowd of half a million people.

At night in these drunken tent camps you would never find him.

On the cross? his beating was probably fatal, he may not have survived that even if you could get him down. Sort of leaves you getting him befopre arrest.

He would have gladly taken any help he could get. It is my opinion he got in over his head, and paid a terrible price for it.

outhouse

Atheistically
I would even go so far as to say to those who would not help him.

You could not sit there and watch them torture the Galilean without stepping in if you had a chance to do so. If you claim to love him, what does that now make you???

Talking behind your keyboard is one thing, being witness to torture and murder is another.

Once you were there and witnessed what really happened, and as soon as you woke up and realized you were dealing with a real human being, with all the mythology and religion stripped away, I claim every one of you would save him.

Religion would still be here, when you came back. Monotheism was coming hell or high water.

While Chrsitianity may be changed, so would all of the eastern versions of the one god concept. ;)

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
If Jesus told me to take up my cross and follow him- I wouldn't think he expected me to save him from the cross, but that I was going with him. If this was the same man walking on water, raising friends from the dead, etc-- I'd trust his power to save himself.