• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you sacrifice yourself?

If you knew that you would only be dead Friday night and then have eternal life Sunday morning would you willingly go through what Jesus did?

Would you sacrifice your life for the weekend so Jesus could have the possibility of eternal life?

jonathan180iq

If you knew that you would only be dead Friday night and then have eternal life Sunday morning would you willingly go through what Jesus did?

Would you sacrifice your life for the weekend so Jesus could have the possibility of eternal life?
The easy answer is yes.

I really don't see how it was actually much of a sacrifice at all. If we assume that what the Bible says happened actually happened, and if we assume that Jesus knew it was going to go down like that, was it really all that big of a deal to endure pain and suffering for just one measly day? I mean, I'd dig my own eye balls out of my head if I knew that I was actually immortal and would wake up a couple of days later and suddenly be able to teleport, levitate, and shape-shift... Wouldn't you?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

No, because I don't share the metaphysical assumptions about "eternal life" that this question is grounded in. In other words, I think what your proposing is either impossible, an abomination, or something we already possess anyway.

Why would I sacrifice anything for someone I don't even know on a personal basis, for any reason?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Aren't those who believe in him guaranteed eternal life anyway?

No! What's the benefit? And isn't his eternal life already in the cards?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Ah, the Salvation Gong Show. Nice... but, no.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

No.

I'd consider sacrifice if his life was in danger (just like another, friend, or family member) and I had a last minute chance to save him in place of me, I would. Just like a child I saw crossing the street almost got hit by a car. Human instinct.

It wouldn't have to do with whether he was Jesus or not. Just something moral to do, save a life. Willing sacrifice kind of contradicts that purpose no matter how long I live.

Assuming that Jesus is God, wouldn't he live anyway? Even assuming he is sinless even without being god?

Skwim

Veteran Member
I find the notion of eternal life devalues the sacrifice. I also don't fancy the prospect of an eternity in heavan with all the boring people. that sounds like hell. :D
What sacrifice is that? I fail to see God taking himself out of the physical world, as he had planned all along, to be sacrificing anything.

No, because I don't share the metaphysical assumptions about "eternal life" that this question is grounded in. In other words, I think what your proposing is either impossible, an abomination, or something we already possess anyway.

Why would I sacrifice anything for someone I don't even know on a personal basis, for any reason?

I think the entire concept of "eternal life" is incoherent. I've tried to explain eternity in temporal terms and here is a whiff of an infinitely small segment of what eternal life might be like....Time would allow me to meet everyone and get to know everyone that ever was, is and would be. Let's give all those people a hypothetical number of 100,000,000,000 beings. If we could all share the entire contents of our lives I will hear everyone's story trillions upon trillions and trillions of times. So much that we have all heard and explored every word and utterance ad nauseum. There would come a point that there would not be anything else possible to learn about the other eternal beings. I could get into a 20th century rocket and ship 1 grain of sand from the earth to worlds that haven't even been formed yet, 15 or 16 billion light years away. Turn around come back to earth, package and ship another grain of sand across the universe and so on. I could repeat that until I had moved every grain of sand from the earth to the other world. We are a google+ of years from now and guess what, that length of time would be as miniscule as plank time and......I would still have an eternity ahead of me.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Pain is pain, suffering is suffering, hurt is hurt and rejection and abandonment are rejection and abandonment no matter if you know you're going to live forever or not. The experience of those things remains the same, regardless. Christ was/is a human being and He experienced those things as a human being. It's the same as how I know, in the deepest part of my being, that I'm an eternal spiritual being that cannot die nor be destroyed, but I still experience suffering and pain due to being in this realm. Detachment doesn't mean that you don't feel. It just means that you're able to put it into perspective. So His sacrifice is still a sacrifice.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I find the notion of eternal life devalues the sacrifice. I also don't fancy the prospect of an eternity in heavan with all the boring people. that sounds like hell. :D
I am willing to believe in life after death....
and do so for you as well

If I spent one year of time with one person, moving on to the next and doing so again.....
I would be busy for the next 7billion+ years

but I also believe we are grouped with those of our kindred spirit.
you will spend eternity will others.....just like you.

how else to be happy?
how else to be fair?

What sacrifice is that? I fail to see God taking himself out of the physical world, as he had planned all along, to be sacrificing anything.

Agreed!
I was thinking about the only life we know for sure that we get. While reflecting on the believers counter view to this I had a genuine moment of clarity. I thought about the enormity of the consequences of murder. Allow me to begin with this analogy:

A Christian who's Christian friend happened to be the victim of murder. The surviving Christian is comforted when his religious rationalization kicks in and informs him that, even though a great injustice befell his friend and him, he believes the consequences are short term. His life will continue in the hereafter. Meanwhile apply this scenario to a couple of nonbelievers. The immoral act takes on a mountainous dimension. If the victim, his family and friends were like minded free thinkers then their loss is infinitely magnified. When one walks the path that is marked with evidence, justification and true beliefs, one learns to treasure and value every precious moment in this short life. It truly takes a strong person to resist the imaginary comfort that accompanies wishful thinking. It appears that the free thinker, who adopts sound reasoning for his nonbelief, values life to a greater degree than the religious. Also he recognizes a profound difference brought on by the differing beliefs; one is a temporary setback...soon to be rectified and rewarded and the other .....everlasting and permanent.

Laika

Premium Member

I you were to do something that you knew was certain to kill you and yet believed in eternal life (as asked by the OP) , it takes the "sting" out of dying. It is only the knowledge that you are going to lose something precious to you, namely your life in this case, which means it is a sacrifice.

I am willing to believe in life after death....
and do so for you as well

If I spent one year of time with one person, moving on to the next and doing so again.....
I would be busy for the next 7billion+ years

but I also believe we are grouped with those of our kindred spirit.
you will spend eternity will others.....just like you.

how else to be happy?
how else to be fair?

I take the notion that your willing to believe I may have an afterlife kindly, but it is not necessary. I intend to live based on the assumption that I only need one life and to be happy and fair in this life. I prefer it this way as I need to make every day mean something.

You know, you got a point! It does devalue that.

<< What Laika said.

Thanks. :D

Skwim

Veteran Member
I you were to do something that you knew was certain to kill you and yet believed in eternal life (as asked by the OP) , it takes the "sting" out of dying. It is only the knowledge that you are going to lose something precious to you, namely your life in this case, which means it is a sacrifice.
So??????????????????????????????????????????? What does this have to do with my comment?