• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

would you please answer these questions?

nature

Greetings all,
I am a new member here and I need from everyone in this forum to fill in this survey. Your help will be very much appriciated.

Your age _________________ Your religion ____________________
  • What does the term Jihad mean to you?
  • from non-Muslim books
  • from the conduct of a minority of Muslim people
  • from other sources such as ………….
3. What is your impression about the term Jihad?Rate the given term on a series of 7-point bipolar rating scales.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Harmful __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Beneficial

Bad __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Good

Wrong __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Right

Negative __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Positive

Weak __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Strong

Merciless __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Merciful

Cruel __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Kind

Useless __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Useful

Offensive __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Defensive

Unjust __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Just

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

I'm afraid that the survey as posted is far from perfect as it makes no allowance for distinguishing between the Greater Jihad (struggle with self) and the Lesser Jihad (warfare)!

But that said, I'll answer some of the questions:

Your age __irrelevant___ Your religion ______Baha'i_______
_____Properly, it must be divided into two sub-parts to allow distinguishing between the Greater and Lesser Jihads, as I said above. Please see the meanings there._____
  • From which source did you get this meaning?
  • from the Qura'n
  • from Muslim books
  • from non-Muslim books
  • from other sources such as ............................…Baha'i sources.
3. What is your impression about the term Jihad?Rate the given term on a series of 7-point bipolar rating scales.

IMPOSSIBLE to rate due to failure to distinguish the two types, as I've said!

Peace,

Bruce

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
18, Gnostic

doesnt mean anything to me, but i learned about it in middle school :)

i dont have any opinions on it

nature

Thank you all, jmoum, BruceDLimber and Buttons.

Jewscout and Halcyon, I don't know why you feel uncomfortable about this survey. It is just a help you do it for me because I am writing a research about the connotative meanings of the term Jihad and I want to see what the prominent meaning is.
So, please help me and answer all the questions in the survey.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
25, Jew

My understanding of Jihad comes primarily from courses on Islam and Middle Eastern History i took in college.

I understand it to have 2 meanings, a greater and lesser jihad. The greater Jihad is an internal spiritual struggle for the individual...the lesser being an external conflict in the name if Islam. The latter has gotten more press than the more important former version of the 2.

Random

I'm 32, formerly Catholic but always mystic, and Jihad means "Holy War", which I picked up from the news on television when I was 8 or so years old. I wouldn't know how to rate it in the manner your survey suggests.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
20 years old, Nocturnal Druid

The Greater Jihad is an internal conflict, the lesser is external, where the phrase "Holy War" would come into effect, but it's often overused, as is the term Jihad. Source, religious class texts books.

Your rating system is actually impossible to answer. It's not defined as a greater or lesser Jihad, nor does it define what the Jihad is over. A civil dispute to overthrow the non-muslim ruler and restore the Muslim rule, or a war to gain more territory or control, or fighting the inner demons, or a number of other things that could be considered a Jihad, rather for a good or bad cause.

ayani

jewscout said:
anyone else feel uncomfortable about this?

yes, frankly.

"please take my survey stating your basic impressions of a hotly contested concept within Islamic thought within the strict parameters i give you."

there are so many threads like this already...

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Nature,

If you're doing research to find out how people in the western world define the word, "jihad" I can save you alot of time by stating that most of us have heard that word used in various news contexts....and it's not known as a good word to us. Our basic view of the word "jihad" means to war against westerners. :)

lizskid

BANNED
nature said:
Greetings all,

I am a new member here and I need from everyone in this forum to fill in this survey. Your help will be very much appriciated.

Your age ________50_________ Your religion _____Christian_______________
______________A stuggle, either physical or spiritual ____________________________________________________
  • From which source did you get this meaning?
  • from the Qura'n
  • from Muslim books
  • from non-Muslim books
  • from other sources such as ………….my seminary studies

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Harmful __ __ __ 4__ __ __ __ Beneficial

Bad __ __ __ 4__ __ __ __ Good

Wrong __ __ __ 4__ __ __ __ Right

Negative __ __ __4 __ __ __ __ Positive

Weak __ __ __ __ __ __6 __ Strong

Merciless __ __3 __ __ __ __ __ Merciful

Cruel __ __ __ _4_ __ __ __ Kind

Useless __ __ __ __ __ __6 __ Useful

Offensive __ _2_ __ __ __ __ __ Defensive

Unjust __ __ __ _4_ __ __ __ Just

I hope this helps your coursework!

nature

I really thank all of you for you participation. Iam so happy to be a member in this forum because I feel this is the only forum I find helpful people. Lizskid, a special thank to you for your great answer because you are the only one who has understood and answered all the questions. I hope from the rest of the members in this forum also help me in answering the questions of this survey because I need at least 50 participants. Your help would be very much appreciated.

kai

ragamuffin
Your age ____47_____________ Your religion ____none________________
What does the term Jihad mean to you?
___jihad to me means a heading for the five types of jihads or struggles for god _______________________________________________ ________________
From which source did you get this meaning?
from the Qura'n
from Muslim books
from non-Muslim books
from the conduct of a minority of Muslim people
from other sources such as ………various sources ….

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Harmful __ __5 __ __ __ __ __ Beneficial

Bad __ __ __ 5__ __ __ __ Good

Wrong __ __ __ __ 7__ __ __ Right

Negative __ __ __ _7_ __ __ __ Positive

Weak __ __ __ __ _5_ __ __ Strong

Merciless __ __ __5 __ __ __ __ Merciful

Cruel __ __ __ 3__ __ __ __ Kind

Useless __ __ __4 __ __ __ __ Useful

Offensive __ __ __ _5_ __ __ __ Defensive

Unjust __ __ __ 4__ __ __ __ Just

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I could answer the survey if it wasn't so open. If the 'Jihad' is a corrupt ruler manipulating his subjects, I would answer one way, if it was a group fighting to over throw this ruler, it would be different.