• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you partake in a hivemind

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Imagine if, in the future, technology advanced as far as creating a hivemind.

What I mean by hivemind is, an interconnected web throughout the world. Similar to the internet, except it is telepathic coding...

You can have access to directly talk to people (when they don't answer their cell phone for example),

Share thoughts and memories (instead of having to use words to describe things, they can actually see it how it truly was - well how you remembered it at least)

It may be useful to emergencies as well: If a victim of having a killer looking for them in their house is unable to get to the phone without revealing their hiding place. If someone is unable to get to the phone for, let's say a broken leg and all alone, they can use this for contacting for help.

I can imagine there would be a lot more things you can do with it.

Nobody can tune into your mind unless you give them permission, they can't look in, your privacy is as safe as it is now.

BUT once you have it, you have it forever

If this invention sprung to life in your lifetime, would you be part of the hivemind? Why or why not?

Acim

Revelation all the time
Yes, I would be part of it.

I think of (actual) reality as already set up this way, thus privacy is as safe as it is now, makes sense to me. I'd be very curious (perhaps more so now) what would make me think technology is needed for that to occur. But given that this is the hypothetical, then I'll just assume it is needed and say I would definitely participate in hive mind.

But...(there's always a but)... with it being technology, I would have a whole lot of questions and possible concerns, such that I'm fairly certain I wouldn't be early adopter. I'd perhaps wish to wait for version 2.0, or even 3.0 before I tapped in. I'd want to understand if this is Borg-like and if it is seeking world domination, and that us hivers would use physical force, if need be, to assimilate others into what we identify as clearly a superior experience. If that were the case, I could conceivably never sign up, but if it weren't the case, I would wonder how much it could possibly be the case at a later point, and would want to explore that before I tapped in. That's perhaps one significant concern of around 30 that I may have, and so I feel confident I wouldn't be an early adopter.

Laika

Premium Member

What I mean by hivemind is, an interconnected web throughout the world. Similar to the internet, except it is telepathic coding...

You can have access to directly talk to people (when they don't answer their cell phone for example),

Share thoughts and memories (instead of having to use words to describe things, they can actually see it how it truly was - well how you remembered it at least)

It may be useful to emergencies as well: If a victim of having a killer looking for them in their house is unable to get to the phone without revealing their hiding place. If someone is unable to get to the phone for, let's say a broken leg and all alone, they can use this for contacting for help.

Nobody can tune into your mind unless you give them permission, they can't look in, your privacy is as safe as it is now.

If this invention sprung to life in your lifetime, would you be part of the hivemind? Why or why not?

Maybe. But I suspect it would take quite a bit of getting used to. I'd probably wait it out and let a few people take the risk first and join when the results are in.

The interesting thing is whether people would share their feelings, dreams in their sleep and other less rational stuff. Would being in a hive mind mean we'd have to conform as if thoughts can be policed as part of a community as if it were a shared space? Or whether knowing everyone's secrets makes us more forgiving and changes our morals?

It is depends on whether a hive mind, like an orchestra, produces harmony or discord. Probably it's a skill which can be learned over time but it be a shock to notions of the self and individuality.

jonathan180iq

I think these systems actually work in the opposite way of what people think. A greater collective mind would be achieved, to a point, but those of greater intellectual thought would be dissolved by the mass of the whole and watered down, limiting overall growth.

Statistically, the number of great minds is trumped by the number of lesser minds. A hive mind would have too many lower-tiered voices drowning out those of the higher-tier, resulting in what I feel would be a collective idiocy.

Wirey

Fartist
I think these systems actually work in the opposite way of what people think. A greater collective mind would be achieved, to a point, but those of greater intellectual thought would be dissolved by the mass of the whole and watered down, limiting overall growth.

Statistically, the number of great minds is trumped by the number of lesser minds. A hive mind would have too many lower-tiered voices drowning out those of the higher-tier, resulting in what I feel would be a collective idiocy.

Wha? Would there be boobies?

Papoon

I've been a beta tester for some time now.
The thing is, it's not so much loading a hive app as it is deleting the self-other dichotomy app.

That is to say, from an m-theory perspective, the universe is a priori a polymorphic gestalt.
:)

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
If I could choose the other individuals who I would share the experience of this hive mind with... then yes.

Last edited by a moderator:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
This would be the deal breaker.
If this were not part of the plan, we would all recognize that we are part of a huge interdependent web. Unless that happens I am not interested.
Tom

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson

Nope, I like individuality and thinking for myself

But...if the hive produced honey...I might be persuaded to hang around

25370435.jpg