• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you open the paranormal door?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
You are out hiking alone in a woods of some sort in the outstretch of a valley separating you from the nearest human being by a mile. You have no phone, camera, or anything of the sort.

You come across a mysterious door standing up straight, and you hear something knocking from the other side. Three knocks and a pause. Three knocks and a pause. Three knocks and a pause.......

Walking around it, you find that not only is there nothing behind the door, the door isn't there either. Here you have a one-sided door: the front of the door exists, but the back does not, at least not in this universe.

You walk back around and, still, whatever is on the other side persists on knocking.

Also, you somehow have intrinsic knowledge that, if you walk away, you'll never see this door again.

Does your curiosity outweigh your sense of danger here? Do you unlock and answer the door to see who, or what is knocking? Do you unlock the door, giving access to our reality to a being from a foreign one?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Be my luck that there would be a couple of Jehovah Witness' doing the knocking.

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
You are out hiking alone in a woods of some sort in the outstretch of a valley separating you from the nearest human being by a mile. You have no phone, camera, or anything of the sort.

You come across a mysterious door standing up straight, and you hear something knocking from the other side. Three knocks and a pause. Three knocks and a pause. Three knocks and a pause.......

Walking around it, you find that not only is there nothing behind the door, the door isn't there either. Here you have a one-sided door: the front of the door exists, but the back does not, at least not in this universe.

You walk back around and, still, whatever is on the other side persists on knocking.

Also, you somehow have intrinsic knowledge that, if you walk away, you'll never see this door again.

Does your curiosity outweigh your sense of danger here? Do you unlock and answer the door to see who, or what is knocking? Do you unlock the door, giving access to our reality to a being from a foreign one?

I'll probably walk away and convince myself it was just a mirage. If I won't see it again, even if I go back, surely it must be a vision triggered by something realistic.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

In a very curious person. Either I'm going to get terrified and run, or open the door in a heartbeat. Depends on the mood I'm in.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member

Sounds like a Real Fake Door to me..

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW

Can't I test the door before opening it? Like knocking the first half of "shave and a haircut" to see if I get a "two bits" response? :hushed:Or see if I get a response to "What's the password?" :handok: Can I put down salt in front of the threshold? :ricecooked:

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

I think that's a really good question. Because if you really sit and talk about this with the most 'skeptical' people you know, you find that most of us have had this experience at some time, something analogous at least, and we usually 'walk away'. We write it off as our imagination, laugh it off as we see in responses here. Because it's not comfortable, it doesn't seem to provide much useful purpose in our daily lives, if we heard someone else tell the story we'd think they were lying, seeking attention, or not all there, and we don't want to be judged the same way.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Me: "Who is it?"

Monster: continued knocking.

Me: "Dave's not here."

:p

[Sorry, just realized this is probably meaningless to many, many people here...]:D

Jumi

I think that's a really good question. Because if you really sit and talk about this with the most 'skeptical' people you know, you find that most of us have had this experience at some time, something analogous at least, and we usually 'walk away'. We write it off as our imagination, laugh it off as we see in responses here. Because it's not comfortable, it doesn't seem to provide much useful purpose in our daily lives, if we heard someone else tell the story we'd think they were lying, seeking attention, or not all there, and we don't want to be judged the same way.
Interesting. I've never had an analogous experience.

Liu

I'd certainly open it.
If I'd walk away from something like that I'd regret it all my life.
The thing I would be afraid of the most in that moment would probably be that it is actually a trick and the one who set it up is waiting for gullible people to film and make fun of.

Interesting. I've never had an analogous experience.
Me neither. I had some experiences that others might see as analogous but nothing even remotely that obvious. For those experiences I had, they are pretty easily explainable by simple psychology and/or chance.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I'd certainly open it, being alert and ready, however, to beat the crap out of anything manifesting ill will.
One only encounters what they themselves conceive. Might be wise to be careful what one thinks.

For me, it wasn't really a door. I was just "There" and forward momentum pushed me through into the effulgence of unending possibilities. Being a well adjusted young person, I didn't have many preconceived notions about what I should or should not encounter and simply wandered through. The experience certainly changed me, irrevocably, but it has made me more whole. There is no paranormal or supernatural. There is only unknown reality. Fear is best left on the doorstep as imagination is a powerful, powerful thing.

David1967

Premium Member

Even though it may not be the wisest thing to do, I think I would open it. My curiosity would probably win the day for better or for worse.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I would like to believe that I would be courageous enough to answer the door. But I have never been in such a position, so I am not sure if I am.
Similarly, I like to believe that I would respond to a flying saucer landing in my yard with "Take me with you!". But I don't know that I would because it hasn't ever happened. I don't have any dependents, so I could without risking the future of anybody else. A few hours of learning the secrets of an interstellar civilization would be worth trading for my "golden years" on this planet.

Trump got "elected", need I say more?

But I am not at all sure I have that much guts.
I would also like to think I would first investigate the cusp between the 3 dimensional side I can experience and the other side I cannot. The edge where the door is visible and a knock can be heard, and the other side where there isn't even a door. I would want to experience that while I could, and before I decided to answer the door.

I don't know what I would do.
Tom