1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you Like Their to be a True Religion?

Discussion in 'Non-Theistic/Non-Religious Beliefs DIR' started by Seeker of Ka, Aug 21, 2015.

?
  1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Unsure

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Seeker of Ka

Seeker of Ka Asetian

Ratings:
    +27
    Religion:
    Aset Ka
    Would you lie their to be a true religion and if so what would you like it be?

2. lostwanderingsoul

lostwanderingsoul Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,065
    Religion:
    seeking
    Jesus said He would establish His church and so that is obviously the true religion. So it is not a matter of what one likes. the problem is finding what religion is the one Jesus established. this applies to everyone equally, even atheists, because they have not found any religion but that does not stop it from existing

3. Unveiled Artist

Unveiled Artist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +8,918
    There is a true religion: we create or follow others who create their purpose and meaning of life. We experience wholeness an attribute it to whom or whatever we belieive in. We practice based on our experiences and beliefs. The details depend on the person; but, the point is the same.

Getting to our true nature is the True Religion. No one holds an monopoly on our purpose in life and how we become whole by living and practicing our faith within our lives and/or the next.

• Like Like x 1
  4. YmirGF

YmirGF Bodhisattva

Ratings:
    +14,879
    Religion:
    Beyond the Light
    I'd love there to be a "true" religion but, sadly, I'm not big on fairy tales.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Seeker of Ka

Seeker of Ka Asetian

Ratings:
    +27
    Religion:
    Aset Ka
    Evidance please, if you could find evidance then everyone would be Christian, POed at the Christisn God, or Theistic Satansit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue The gentle embrace of twilight has become my guide

Ratings:
    +11,348
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    If any religion needs to attempt to convince anyone of truth, that religion isn't worth a hill of beans. A true religion would be one that dosent require it to convince anyone whatsoever that It's true. It would be a mute point. That would be the one I'd choose.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

Ratings:
    +5,192
    Religion:
    Spiritual Christian
    Interesting question.

I'd love for a religion to exist that accepts everyone for who they are, and embraces everyone as they are. Legally, there are laws of which we all need to uphold. I believe that most laws are common sense, and can all be a composite of 'treat others as you wish to be treated.' Therefore, instructing people as to how to live 'moral' lives etc...would be a moot point, as part of this religion.

Unfortunately, too many religions divide, but maybe this brand new one would extinguish that attribute.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Deathbydefault

Deathbydefault Apistevist Asexual Atheist

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Religion:
    Non/Apatheist
    I voted yes.
    I couldn't care less about whichever God existing, that is irrelevant to who I am.
    But, I want to know. So only on the basis of knowledge, yes, I do wish that we could identify a correct religion.
    That is, assuming any are correct.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jumi

Jumi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,458
    Religion:
    Secular theist (none)
    Just one true religion that holds the Absolute Copyrighted Truth or multiple religions that are true?

10. dust1n

dust1n Zindīq

Ratings:
    +4,740
    Religion:
    Post-Anarchism Austin, TX
    That depends on the nature of this religion. If it is like any of the ones humans have invented so far, the universe wouldn't be rendered even more stupid and absurd then it already is, and I'd probably just take my life. Oh wait, dangit, I can't cause of this pesky soul thing.

11. Iti oj

Iti oj Global warming is real and we need to act
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,570
    Religion:
    RF cult leader & taosit black magician
    no religious and gods destroy and insult the beauty of life, existence, nature, etc

12. Jaiket

Jaiket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,797
    Religion:
    Something else
    It would have to be so that noone could ever use it to justify attrocious behaviour and given that we are gifted at interpreting in favour of our interests I doubt such a thing is possible. In principle though if there could be a 'true' religion that could stop people being mental and killing and persecuting and such then yes, I would.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Quintessence

Quintessence Tale Weaver
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,775
    Religion:
    Druidry
    ** Staff Reminder **

This thread is posted in the non-theism DIR. If you're not a non-theist, please remember to only respond with respectful questions as per Rule 10.

14. Druac

Druac Devout Atheist

Ratings:
    +34
    Religion:
    NONE
    Can there be a "True Religion"? What does that even mean? True, as in facts and reality? Or true, as in what you 'believe' to be true?

15. Jaiket

Jaiket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,797
    Religion:
    Something else
    I took it to mean something like, there is some set of religious claims that are infact the case.

16. Druac

Druac Devout Atheist

Ratings:
    +34
    Religion:
    NONE
    Well...reading the primary definitions of the word "religion" and the primary definitions of the word "true"...I find the figure of speech "a True Religion" to be an oxymoron.

17. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue The gentle embrace of twilight has become my guide

Ratings:
    +11,348
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    True to oneself would be closest to a true religion I think. It can contain any of those characteristics or none. The approaches are so multifaceted in nature that would quality as true religion, it depends upon as to where the nature of the question lies.

18. columbus

columbus member

Ratings:
    +15,673
    Religion:
    None
    What I think would qualify as a "true religion" would be one where "God"(whatever that means) delivers enough information to humans to allow them to consistently choose what is in their own best interests.

The lack of such is a demonstrable fact. That's why I don't believe in religion, and don't believe people who insist that they "know God".
    Tom

19. Milton Platt

Milton Platt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,059
    Religion:
    Atheist
    If there is or ever was one true religion, Christianity is no more likely than the rest. They all equally lack credibility.

20. Jumi

Jumi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,458
    Religion:
    Secular theist (none)
    A true religion would be a religion that had teachings that were true. That means they could be proven and it would become science with directly observable results. They could make new inventions that pass current scientific understanding. Is that what is proposed?